Ensign
# 81 I don't like it
08-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Arc is a pain that starts up at startup. It takes up more resources. It constantly complains if there isn't an internet connection available. It is complete worthless junk. I am currently looking for an alternative way to download sto, but if i must use arc to download sto, i will. then i will promptly uninstall arc or disable it.
Career Officer
# 82
08-11-2013, 05:57 PM
I will not use ark nor will I ever use it, and if you force me to use it I will quit cryptic games. PERIOD!!
Ensign
# 83
08-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Damn Arc! I proceed to launch the game and it stays minimized. I am done as I am not going to **** around to try and get STO to work. Devs get it together or you are going to lose a lot of players! Give us back a clean launch interface.
Career Officer
# 84
08-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
*snip*

Qoute:
"And then we have the PandoMediaBooster issue, which was the one that was the cause of the most vehement hostility.

According to what they said, PMB is a constant torrent streamer which is inbuilt into Arc.
Unless you force terminate it in background processes, it keeps streaming data, which can cap out your data limit or exceed it, resulting in excessive download fees from your ISP. " :qoute

Brandon,
Please confirm if arc uses PandoMediaBooster and if it's a torrent streamer ?

I was thinking about giving Arc a try for myself, BUT ...

My ISP will charge me more for going over my data limit, I feel I/WE have a right to know if Arc includes this, for this very reason.
STO was my secret fun little addiction. I'd spend A LOT of free time and disposable income on it. Have you noticed the change recently? You've got my data, see for yourself. I'll even take a few minutes of my time to explain. All you have to do is ask Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 85
08-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Here is my Feedback.

I have Steam, I use Steam when forced ... I will used Arc if forced and its a big if and I am getting tired of all the Steam wannabes, I am not going to flood my registry and my HDD with a bunch of useless launcher programs because Steam.
Amen!! Arc and Steam are just another NEEDLESS HOOP to jump through that provides no benefits what so ever. In other words using a gateway to get to a door is completely inefficient and a waste of space.
Community Moderator
# 86
08-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerridae View Post
Arc is a pain that starts up at startup.
Can anyone else confirm that Arc tries to load on boot and that there is no way to turn that behavior off?

I was already considering using Steam or to load the launcher by alternative means, but this here would certainly push me to do it.

To be clear, I'm not so much concerned that I have to start Arc to start STO... I am very serious about software that loads itself when you boot Windows and doesn't A) make it clear that it does that, and B) doesn't give you a way to only start it on demand.

Is anyone having any issues uninstalling Arc if it comes to that?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
# 87
08-12-2013, 06:46 PM
It has the option to turn off load on boot. When Arc loads go to the top right corner and click Settings > General. Then uncheck the box that says "Run Arc when my computer starts". It also has a box if you want to disable the auto account login. I use Arc right now and it only starts up only when I want it to.
-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Ensign
# 88
08-13-2013, 04:36 AM
I have ARC installed, it works fine, recognized both STO and NW upon install, they are not on C drive but on D drive, but I dislike the idea of having to download the game all over again when I have a system crash.
Could you please leave us an option of torrent download for the games so that we could enjoy the game experience?
Career Officer
# 89
08-13-2013, 06:44 AM
So far I haven't had any trouble with it. I play 4 games and the only trouble I've had so far is a known issue with the launcher for Neverwinter.

I've set it to not load at start up, and unlike some other programs I've had to use in the past, when you sign out, it closes and goes away, it doesn't stay in the background.
Community Moderator
# 90
08-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan451 View Post
It has the option to turn off load on boot. When Arc loads go to the top right corner and click Settings > General. Then uncheck the box that says "Run Arc when my computer starts". It also has a box if you want to disable the auto account login. I use Arc right now and it only starts up only when I want it to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by summonerdelta View Post
So far I haven't had any trouble with it. I play 4 games and the only trouble I've had so far is a known issue with the launcher for Neverwinter.

I've set it to not load at start up, and unlike some other programs I've had to use in the past, when you sign out, it closes and goes away, it doesn't stay in the background.
Thanks, guys! Appreciate the info and the clarification!
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek