Cryptic Studios Team
Official Carrier Command UI Feedback Thread

Please take command of your carrier and let us know what you think of the carrier command ui and pet progression.

Leave any comments, concerns, bugs, and feedback here!
Career Officer
# 2
07-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Screenshot
Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again?
Captain
# 3
07-16-2013, 05:37 PM
http://oi44.tinypic.com/2e5o9sg.jpg

Really?
REALLY?

Is the UI team objective putting so much crap we can no longer see a damn thing because it clutter with XBOX HUGE crap because can we size the individual sections? NO, either we scale everything down to the point I cannot KNOW what the hell I am clicking let alone READ THE DESCRIPTION because the font also "scales down" to the point IT GIVES ME A HEADACHE trying to read it.

*sigh*

This is UNACCEPTABLE!

Oh, in relation with the launch intervals leave those damn well alone ... those werent put for arbitrary reasons, they look TERRIBLE because they made so in some cases like the Vesta they dont spawn on top of each other and congratulations, its now broken.

Revert those to the previous timers, stop fixing what isnt broken.

Last edited by f2pdrakron; 07-16-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 4
07-16-2013, 06:12 PM
If you are playing at a resolution that makes it prohibitive to utilize this new UI element, you may simply turn it off, and lose nothing. Your gameplay is likely to be completely unchanged.

To hide the Hangar UI elements, Press F12 and click the "Hide" button on the Window Frames that will appear.
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Staff Systems Designer
"Play smart!"
Follow the STO_DevTracker on Twitter!
Captain
# 5
07-16-2013, 06:21 PM
While at first, they do appear to be a bit large (I've only got 1440x900 real estate going for me) - it frees me up from having the commands on the actionbar and trying to remember what the keys were for them (or having to flip bars to find them). Heck, removes having to have the pets on the bars as well.

They do fit neatly down in the lower right-hand corner...not sure how that would play out on a Rom boat with the Singularity UI.

Being able to set separate commands for each hangar is definitely nifty (I did get overexcited reading the notes where it had said wing specific - trying to figure out why it didn't work on the single hangar guy I had there, rereading the notes more carefully, and then copying a two hangar guy over).

There's a curious issue on launching frigates that shows four of them briefly before setting the one in the UI.

There's also a curious issue with frigates, where the second launched frigate appears to get upranked before the first did - simple case that the second was put in the first slot or some other issue? Looks to be the case since the second guy 3-starred before the first - so the first was really the second. This doesn't happen with the fighter sized pets.

There's definitely some odd shuffling going on and a delay.

As for the delay, the UI will show that the pet is at 0% - it's gone - it's toast. You try to launch another pet, the CD starts - no new pet appears. So you have to wait until the box is empty to launch new pets.

When losing a pet from the first row, it will shuffle a pet from the second row to the first. Lose two pets, it moves two pets from the second to the first.

edit: Also, when launching a frigate sized pet - it shows four of them before displaying just the one added to the row (this isn't a case of launching multiple pets - just showing a vertical bar of four of them before showing just the one in the slot being filled). This didn't happen with the fighter sized pets.

Last edited by virusdancer; 07-16-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Captain
# 6
07-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
If you are playing at a resolution that makes it prohibitive to utilize this new UI element, you may simply turn it off, and lose nothing. Your gameplay is likely to be completely unchanged.

To hide the Hangar UI elements, Press F12 and click the "Hide" button on the Window Frames that will appear.
Really? That's your suggestion?

"If you can't play the game with the current UI, disable the parts that you'd like to use, but can't due to visibility."

ThomastheCat did a great job reskinning the UI. But it is my fervent belief, that what the game truly needs is a full-on UI rebuild. Recoded from the ground up. I'm with the previous poster on this one. Too many UI elements. Too much bloat. And to make matters worse, none of the UI elements have even remotely the same size or shape, making it difficult to organise the UI layout.

Your suggestion reminds me of that Microsoft PR rep (who has since moved to Zynga); "If you can't handle running the Xbox One with it's 24 hour Internet requirement, stick with the 360."
Captain
# 7
07-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
If you are playing at a resolution that makes it prohibitive to utilize this new UI element,
I am not playing at a resolution that makes it prohibitive to utilize this new UI element, the resoltion I am playing at is the same one of the screenshoot.

Quote:
you may simply turn it off, and lose nothing. Your gameplay is likely to be completely unchanged.
Outside the 4% DPS loss you mean right?
I am already losing something, in fact I taken it into a deep encounter with Romulan ships, -30 and 5 minutes? are you kidding me? even with -30 enemies they cannot even survive beyond rank 2, there is no point in this nerf, none.

Quote:
I am not that stupid, I know I can remove it but its absurd large when it comes to ships that already pushing it with UI element, Romulan ships are a good example of that because there is simply too much cluttering and the fact we cannot rezise individual elements is problem and if we do it globally then it also resizes text font.

And I logged into my Atrox to see what happend and there are 2 of those things ... I dont even want to know how it would look on a Jem Dreadnought.

Last edited by f2pdrakron; 07-16-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Captain
# 8
07-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Tested with:
Vesta
HEC
Kar'fi

Test zone: kerrat

The nice thing:
The UI is definitely clearer and less cluttered than the pet interface of Champions Online. It shows everything, including ranks, but leaves plenty of clear space. Compact, in fact.

Everyone, if you think this hangar interface is cluttered, wait till you built a pet-master in CO. Even at 5-summon (equivalent to 1 single hangar), My entire left side is filled up.

As a 2-hangar kar'fi flyer, I find the UI to be just fine, not too big, not too small.

Also, if the ship have a star, when pressing launch fighter they do not get replaced; instead they will just top up. Therefore I do not lose the "good" pets.

But Here's my complaint:
What's with the slow launch speed interval on all carriers?! I can understand if it's only the vesta that have the problem, but now EVERY SHIP?

If you have to balance it, fix the Vesta's launch speed so it's faster, not to make everyone's launch speed slower.

Verdict:
Implement the UI, but leave the new launch speed out - keep the old launch speed.

EDIT: Dev, can you please answer why did you lower all pet launch speed to those of Vesta's instead of bumping Vesta's pet launch speed?

Last edited by jestersage; 07-16-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Career Officer
# 9
07-16-2013, 07:41 PM
So, my initial feelings toward this are mostly positive. I absolutely LOVE the new UI element, the sizing works for me personally. And I love the ability to easily select/heal my pets.

My single concern is with the amount of time it takes to get these pets to 5 stars. 5 combat minutes is a long time. I don't feel that anyone would get there by normally playing story missions. PvPers probably would, and long PvE queued missions probably will as well.

I could see the time being cut to 3 minutes more reasonable. However, I'd prefer to see the star rating become persistent (meaning not get flushed away when you map move) and instead only be cleared once a pet is destroyed. 5 Minutes or even longer would be much easier to swallow if this were the case, and you'd be much more invested in attempting to keep you pets healed and alive.

I have a feeling this may not be possible in the game's current state which is why things are the way they are presently. Perhaps this mechanic could be added in the future?

Tested with Tholian Recluse Carrier + Advanced Tholian Widow Fighters (from Dil Store).

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Outside the 4% DPS loss you mean right?
I am already losing something, in fact I taken it into a deep encounter with Romulan ships, -30 and 5 minutes? are you kidding me? even with -30 enemies they cannot even survive beyond rank 2, there is no point in this nerf, none.

If I'm not mistaken, your pets will still rank up in this veteran system (gaining stars) even if you hide your pet's UI. You literally lose nothing except the visual health indicator, and the ability to command wings separately.

Last edited by skiffy1; 07-16-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Something is odd with the shield repair drones.

some times after combat has ended, they stay at where the last combat took place.

After recall don't seem to repair shields.... even after giving new commands.

calling a new Bird of prey after having 2 active for hangar replaces active ship. (good/not of concern)

calling new shield repair units does not replace active ships. (bad)

(*I'm guessing that's intentional?) {fighters and shield repair units not being replaced when calling new units}

Reason for post:

take look at shield repair units and look for "odd" behavior