Commander
# 1 why people dont do ground pvp
06-12-2013, 03:58 PM
kits ! kits kits kits ! the devs should really try to play as a scientist against an engineer, our skills take like an eternity to activate, the medic kit is the worse, id you keep healing yourself, youe right hand wont be on the trigger, you just wont do damage, skills allready take too long to be activated on the tray, i just have to press like 30 times to activate them, and then, well my toon just keeps touching his little arm-screen for ages -.-

scientist kits are very stupid, the skill mix makes no sense, electro gravitic field should be with stasis field together, biofilter sweep and hyposprays are useless unless you use a gorn for the troll, stasis field says 5 seconds hold but it is like half of a second, only skills i find any usefull are tachyon harmonics with sonic pulse combo, exotermic field and hyperonic radiation plus a stun pistol combo

you just cant beat a good tac ( tacs are not that hard ) or a good eng with enemy neutralization, at least i can't, i tryed everything, and the power cells plus combat subroutine are not enough, dampening field sucks since we can not hold the target, and nanoprobe is quite weak in 1vs1, why ? our kits are all messed up ! we need desperately to be able to customize our kits, i can do a skill set in my boffs much better than those non sense kits i can use
i have all the ground sets mk xii, including jem hadar, 2 fleet complete sets and ev suit, respec'd 3 times and still dont get the pew, help me here ... or at least, try to fight kirby if you dont like your screen or your keyboard, ive tryed tons of bindings, i have a gaming mouse and the kit skills are binded to mouse buttons, but still can't find the breach !!!

anyway

with customizable kits people would be much more interested in ground pvp, i heard the devs were allready looking into it, and they might find it a problem to create a new kit system, but thats not needed, just keep the kits, each one with one permanent level 4 or something, just to not let different kits to have the same exact skills, and the other 3 of our choice, something like that is not that hard to do ... leaving the romulan kits the same, with 5 skills ... feedback

by the way ... screw you transphasic bomb plus orbital strike ;(
it's not the ship or the build, it's the atitude
Captain
# 2
06-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Why I don't do Ground PvP...

1) The only reason I have 66k skill points in Ground skills is because I'm required to have 66k skill points in Ground skills. I have the minimum allowed.

2) I have 8 Aliens and a Reman. Each of the Aliens has a single Ground trait, since they could only select 8 of 9 as Space. The Reman has a single Ground trait (the Species trait).

3) I don't do Ground PvE (outside of leveling). As such, my Ground gear is crap because all you need is crap gear to do the Ground PvE as you're leveling.

So...minimum Ground skills allowed, minimum Ground traits allowed, and crap Ground gear...that's why I don't do Ground PvP.

Yep, Geko has been talking about a kit revamp. Won't make any difference to me, though...because again, I've got the min allowed Ground skills, the min allowed Ground traits, and crap Ground gear.

So okay, I don't want to "weaken" a toon by doing Ground...why not just take one of the Universal Slots that is sitting there as a Foundry toon doing nothing and roll a Ground guy?

The reason I didn't buy STO after the beta was because of Ground. Around a year later, when I got an email asking me to check out where STO was...I couldn't remember why I wasn't playing STO. I had been following the development from back when Perpetual had the license. I downloaded and installed the game for the free trial thing, created the toon, jumped once, and uninstalled the game. I remembered why I wasn't playing STO.

Outside of training BOFFs or switching ships, I'm not going to Ground. I'd rather pop a freighter or look for somebody that popped a freighter than go to Ground. Luckily enough, there are obviously enough people that feel the same because there are so many getting popped above Sol, Qo'noS, and even New Romulus.

Don't get me wrong, the artists, environmental guys, etc, etc, etc...have done an awesome job with the look of Ground. It came a long way with LoR...but it is still Ground. It's still the same goofy animations, the same clipping on costumes, etc, etc, etc...

For the folks not bothered by all those things, though, I do hope Geko gets somewhere with the kit revamp and it improves things for those folks that enjoy or want to enjoy Ground...
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder
Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethaen, M.Qin - Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba
Captain
# 3
06-12-2013, 04:28 PM
I dont do ground because ground combat is useless when you have a ship on orbit
Commander
# 4
06-12-2013, 04:31 PM
well it looks interesting if you really get into it with a good player like my brother, the problem is just that people just dont bother, the thing is in space anyway

if you get deeper into it you will just find so broken but so broken omfg, trying to put skills and they dont activate, you get shots and the skill animation stops and i dont even know if the skill activated or not, the toon just keeps touching his arm instead of fighting, well, at the last my toon looks like a monkey throwing useless skills that dont activate

Last edited by borgresearcher; 06-12-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Captain
# 5
06-12-2013, 04:47 PM
I can see a personal issue here with Engys. In matter of fact, the Science kits are good and they are in par with the ones for other classes, sure you have 2 maybe 3 PvP useful kits, but a Tact has the same, and an Engy has the same.

Everyone of us in every class as experienced to some degree the "activation delay" and it's not something specific to the Science class.

On the other subjet, I believe that most people don't do Ground PvP because it's a very fast paced game, the main reason of this is the low amount of HP compared to Space. Kit Powers are not an excuse, Movement it's not an excuse, it's just a fast game.
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com

Last edited by mrkollins; 06-12-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Commander
# 6
06-12-2013, 04:57 PM
dont tell me you use the analyst or the medic on pvp, well the analyst is the best the problem is that each skill is like asking you to spend points in different abilities and some of them are pointless. i can figure medic takes too much time on activating the heals, and i know theres a delay timer, the thing is if that you only press 1 time, the skill wont activate or the animation stops or you get shot or something, i agree on the part of engs having bad kits too, enemy neutralization beeing the best for pvpm the thing is that half of sci skills are useless, just like space ...

im not saying engs are impossible to kill, well you can tank them until they chain fuse armor and orbital strike ...

Last edited by borgresearcher; 06-12-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Captain
# 7
06-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Well you know, space has overpowered stuff, but ground has overpowered stuff with animation blocking that prevents you from reacting to the overpowered stuff. I mean, get knocked to the ground by a sword, over and over and over, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it except respawn and beam out. I imagine somebody thought knockdown was cool when they first came up with it, so cool we should add it to everything like grenades and heavy weapon shots and those new alien robot spider things and everything, so knockdown knockdown make them watch the whole animation. Huh? No we dont need to put limits on the frequency of anything, why do you ask?

edit--forgot about this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7hSkXPK9Qw

Also damage is really unpredictable. Its either too low so grenades and rifles do nothing (lol grenades do nothing), or else they deal ~700 damage for some unexplained reason and instagib you

Just touching the tip of it really, but I try to restrain my negativity. Its frustrating alright

Last edited by ursusmorologus; 06-12-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Captain
# 8
06-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Problem is in LoR now that you can take more traits, the differences between someone fully specced for ground and someone with no ground traits and 66k points in ground has become much more significant.

Since most people won't make a seperate character for ground pvp, it becomes the same usual faces of vet full ground spec pvpers always able to dominate the hapless pugs with only minimal or average ground specs.

Easy fix for this is to allow all characters to have 300k space and 100k ground points and being able to select 8 traits each for both space and ground. Lots of people will at least give ground a try if they don't need to grind a new character for it.
Captain
# 9
06-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
Well you know, space has overpowered stuff, but ground has overpowered stuff with animation blocking that prevents you from reacting to the overpowered stuff. I mean, get knocked to the ground by a sword, over and over and over, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it except respawn and beam out. I imagine somebody thought knockdown was cool when they first came up with it, so cool we should add it to everything like grenades and heavy weapon shots and those new alien robot spider things and everything, so knockdown knockdown make them watch the whole animation. Huh? No we dont need to put limits on the frequency of anything, why do you ask?

Also damage is really unpredictable. Its either too low so grenades and rifles do nothing (lol grenades do nothing), or else they deal ~700 damage for some unexplained reason and instagib you

Just touching the tip of it really, but I try to restrain my negativity. Its frustrating alright

Yeah, the Nockback lock can be very frustrating, but this is the current issue and it's not something that has been here for ever. Hopefully it will get fixed.

For non Ground lovers there's always something that prevents them from playing Ground PvP. Right now is the Knockback issue, a few months ago was the Cryo Launcher, before that was the Double Cloak and so on. These issues aggravate the 'main problem' with Ground PvP: the low HP.
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com

Last edited by mrkollins; 06-12-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Captain
# 10
06-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkollins View Post
Kit Powers are not an excuse, Movement it's not an excuse, it's just a fast game.
Over 14 years ago, HLDM had better movement/animations/etc. It's not about it being a fast game...it's about it being bad.

Geko once mentioned the games on his shelf and how they helped with how he envisioned STO. Two of those games mentioned were Starfleet Command and Elite Force. Yeah, Ground's nowhere near what Elite Force was...it's just that bad.
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder
Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethaen, M.Qin - Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba