Ensign
# 1 Combat-Pets
07-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Honestly, there is something about having a sehlat follow you every where that makes them so enticing. There's are various NPC's sehlats in the game, but most are fully grown, which begs the first question, CAN we 'raise' vanity pets that will grow to their natural potential?

Also, when it comes to combat pets, Federation factions have little to work with (by my experience). There are the drones and hortas (?), but nothing that seems Starfleet-ish. A suggestion, or mere idea to the developers is to come up with a fully grown sehlat, that isn't consumable, that is also combat pet.

It is a tall order, and a wild idea of a idealist, but interesting all the least.
Captain
# 2
07-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by selenelangofe View Post
Honestly, there is something about having a sehlat follow you every where that makes them so enticing. There's are various NPC's sehlats in the game, but most are fully grown, which begs the first question, CAN we 'raise' vanity pets that will grow to their natural potential?

Also, when it comes to combat pets, Federation factions have little to work with (by my experience). There are the drones and hortas (?), but nothing that seems Starfleet-ish. A suggestion, or mere idea to the developers is to come up with a fully grown sehlat, that isn't consumable, that is also combat pet.

It is a tall order, and a wild idea of a idealist, but interesting all the least.
what do you want ? more starfleetish? you mean Porthos with a spiked color . the attack beagle. or the mirror Rottweiler version. and the enemy can chuck cubes of cheese at him to cause damage.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
07-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icsairguns View Post
what do you want ? more starfleetish? you mean Porthos with a spiked color . the attack beagle. or the mirror Rottweiler version. and the enemy can chuck cubes of cheese at him to cause damage.
LoL! Good one!
Republic Veteran
# 4
07-19-2013, 12:29 PM
The thing is, raising combat animals seems more of a thing that the KDF would do (and NPC KDF do, and now there's an obtainable Jackal Mastiff combat pet in early KDF missions).

Starfleet uses the MACO model Exocomps for combat because no sentient thing is getting hurt; the Exocomps summoned by Starfleet Engineers are non-sentient robot models.
The Hortas that you can obtain and transport down can be considered specially trained as combat officers (and thus members of your crew who know the risks they are taking by going into combat).
But using actual animals for combat? Enh.... While there's plenty of real world history to back up the practice, it doesn't strike me as something Starfleet would continue to entertain.

I'm not saying I'm against the idea, though. I personally think it'd be kinda neat to see trained sehlats in a fight here and there. Maybe even some targs roaming around, too, since it's entirely feasible that Federation Klingons may have raised the animals.

But before such things can happen, I think I'd much rather see the entire idea of ground pets fleshed out a bit more. Maybe a Beast Trainer Kit for KDF captains, that lets you summon targs or attack saurs.
Formerly GT-01. Runnin' a small lite-RP casual fleet called "The Voyagers"! Message me in-game at either Salen@GT01 or Xavok@GT01 if yer interested.
Here's my neat Idea's Thread.
Captain
# 5
07-19-2013, 12:32 PM
First of all - there is only one combat pet in the entire game that can be "raised." That is the standard Horta, which you get from Mine Enemy. The raising occurs via the crafting system - after getting a relatively small amount of crafting XP, you can use it plus the other ingredients to generate a full-fledged combat Horta.

As per Starfleet standards, I would snap up a non-consumable, Z-Store combat sehlat in a heartbeat - at least, if it isn't bugged like the Hortas currently are, and possibly all device-based ground combat pets. In fact, I'm going to post a thread sooner or later asking for help in making them useful while bugged in the Builds forum, since the one I posted here went nowhere.

I think a combat sehlat would also be awesome to have as a reward for an early mission, like the Klingons now get an early mission pet, or so I hear (although I don't know if this one is broken or not, either).

All in all, I think ground pets are pretty underrated and I'd love to see more.
Captain
# 6
07-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
The thing is, raising combat animals seems more of a thing that the KDF would do (and NPC KDF do, and now there's an obtainable Jackal Mastiff combat pet in early KDF missions).

Starfleet uses the MACO model Exocomps for combat because no sentient thing is getting hurt; the Exocomps summoned by Starfleet Engineers are non-sentient robot models.
The Hortas that you can obtain and transport down can be considered specially trained as combat officers (and thus members of your crew who know the risks they are taking by going into combat).
But using actual animals for combat? Enh.... While there's plenty of real world history to back up the practice, it doesn't strike me as something Starfleet would continue to entertain.
I'd have to disagree. While they would probably do things to protect them, as they would with Hortas, something that some parts of Star Trek lore seem to repeatedly hit on is that there are marked advantages to using real life, or at least conscious life (e.g. Data or the EMH versus LCARS). This is why the dolphin tank on the Enterprise existed - research into navigation, as I recall. It's hardly beyond consideration that this might in fact be similar, in that live animals can do things and be more effective than exocomps, particularly non-sentient exocomps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
I'm not saying I'm against the idea, though. I personally think it'd be kinda neat to see trained sehlats in a fight here and there. Maybe even some targs roaming around, too, since it's entirely feasible that Federation Klingons may have raised the animals.

But before such things can happen, I think I'd much rather see the entire idea of ground pets fleshed out a bit more. Maybe a Beast Trainer Kit for KDF captains, that lets you summon targs or attack saurs.
I sincerely hope not - I like the idea of a kit, but my main captain is Starfleet and his entire theme relies on pets. In fact, his Hortas are supposed to be holoprojections for combat from an implant he's got (long story), and a couple of his traits were changed to reflect the sentient AI helping him in battle. So if they do it, I'd REALLY like to see them do it for both sides, it'd feel a bit like it's mocking me if they didn't.

That said, an equivalent kit using photonic pets for Starfleet would be right up my alley. Or at least, better Hortas (as stated earlier, they're pretty bugged ATM).