Lt. Commander
# 11
01-24-2010, 02:11 PM
My 8800GTS fried in the exact same manner (red lines down the screen) after running the beta for about 5 hours on the first day and 5 hours on the 2nd day

Oh and you can go the launcher/options and paste "/maxfps 60" (no quotes) so you dont have to set it every time.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-24-2010, 02:15 PM
I think my 9600 GT just got fried too, i can only set it to 800x600 and 4 bit colours now.

I was even playing on nearly minimal graphics.

no red lines though.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-24-2010, 02:33 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Oh my goodness! The funny things people say! "STO killed my video card" is one of the better ones I've seen yet. For the record, let me clue you guys in on something us hardware guru's have known for awhile. Software doesn't kill hardware, it shows you where the hardware is weak. If you card is already on it's last legs, a new game can make it LOOK like it killed the card, but in fact the card was already going to die.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-24-2010, 02:46 PM
A piece of software cant use more than 100% of GPU power. Thats technically not possible.

Even if STO uses more GPU power than some other games (e.g. due to non optimized code) it cant get more than 100%.

Your computer should be able to handle the heat generated at 100% load.
If it doesnt, its a hardware / building / fan problem and you should contact your vendor.

While STO may "trigger" the overheating, the hardware is the root cause.

Be aware if you upgraded the GPU on your own that your chassis may not have been designed for a gaming GPU (airflow / cooling wise).
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-24-2010, 04:05 PM
For everyone out there

A game can NEVER, EVER kill your card. I have no idea where this idea is comming from that if you type /showfps in the game and it says 0, your card is in danger.

NO GAME - EVER can kill a card.

TWO things and TWO things ONLY will kill a card:

1a)Improper cooling (due to clogged fans and heat syncs) or bad fans. This also includes improper case cooling
1b) 95% of the cards on the market will SHUT OFF before the memory or GPU gets to the point of being damaged. Although repeated use at high temps will shorten the life of the card

2) You don't plug it in properly and turn on the computer and blow it out or somehow hold it wrong and static fries it.

There are many other moronic ways to kill a card, but no game, no software can kill it (short of software deliberately overwriting the card's bios/nvram)

all limiting the fps in the game does is put a limit on the load the game puts on your card, and this can help some cards that are not properly cooled.

But whomever started the thing that if the game says 000 fps you are in trouble is dead wrong. Mine shows 0.000 and fraps shows over 145fps at MAX game settings in 2560x1600 and I'm running 2 Nvidia 295s for Quad SLI

Remember if you own any type of computer (and are a gamer) you should be opening it up 1-2Xs a year and cleaning all the fans, heat syncs, and air paths. If you lack the skills to do so. Then have a friend who knows how or a trained professional.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordServo View Post
My 8800GTS fried in the exact same manner (red lines down the screen) after running the beta for about 5 hours on the first day and 5 hours on the 2nd day

Oh and you can go the launcher/options and paste "/maxfps 60" (no quotes) so you dont have to set it every time.
See my above post, but also the 8800 line of cards are known for a short life. I had 3 and all 3 burned out in just over one year.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-24-2010, 04:28 PM
You guys have heard of failblog right?

I'm thinking about starting a forum called ITfailblog

In it I would include people who have no clue what they're talking about, making extravagant statements to the contrary of fact.

This forum would provide me with a TON of fresh material to start out with. IT people around the world could come and read and all have a good laugh together.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatormonk View Post
Installed game. Launched twice and crashed twice now system even at POST has red dotted columns on the screen.
880GTX on Win7. I almost speechless that I just lost a video card from running a game.
lol, it's not STO's fault you bought a cheap video card. I have had no video problems at all and I am running a 8800gts 512 (g92).

More likely your card already had a flaw in it, or was getting ready to fail. running STO was just the straw that broke the camels back, so to say. it was not STO that killed your card.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulda View Post
You guys have heard of failblog right?

I'm thinking about starting a forum called ITfailblog

In it I would include people who have no clue what they're talking about, making extravagant statements to the contrary of fact.

This forum would provide me with a TON of fresh material to start out with. IT people around the world could come and read and all have a good laugh together.
Exactly. I started out back in the late 80s as a tech.. then a network engineer... then a computer engineer... I've worked for large and small companies. I've helped design and build chips, mobos and cards from the circuit up.

Some of the theories I have read in these threads have me either dumbfounded or laughing my behind off
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I know as well as everybody else you can't kill a video card by paying a game...but, with my Nvidia 9800GT I can play any game under the sun (crysis or whatnot) for as long as I want and it never gets above 90C and since it's rated at 100C that's ok. When I play STO it get up to about 120C after awhile and my pc dies, and this is with graphics turned down.

...I have no idea why.