Captain
# 11
07-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by resoundingenvoy View Post
Having something to achieve is fun, but once you have everything there isn't anything left to do if that's all there was in the first place. There is no 'in place' content to do outside PvP and balance has been "coming soon" to that for so long it's almost the slogan.
You mean besides the 1,000+ Foundry missions? Even at 15 minutes per, that's 250 /played hours of content you probably haven't looked at yet.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 12
07-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Op..........no...........you are dismissed
look for me in game as "Admiral Quinn" yeah that admiral quinn..and while your at it get off muh station!!!
Rihannsu
# 13
07-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Resounding, I think the problem here is that this idea actually makes the grind more painful. In my experience, I normally earn about 50,000 dilithium for every four hours of effort I put into seriously grinding. This allows me, for example, to complete multiple fleet dailies and help my fairly small fleet advance. Reducing that income to 4,000 dilithium would actually increase the amount of grinding my fleet has to do to complete its dailies instead of decreasing it.

Let me make a counter-proposal that I think would more effectively achieve your goal.

Currently, most activities give a combination of skill points and expertise. When a character reaches level 50, those skill points also become expertise. Effectively, at 50th level, characters earn double expertise.

Instead, I'd propose that at level 50, every skill point earned converts to 1/10 unit of dilithium. So, for example, if you replay "the Helix," you earn 2232 skill points and 1949 expertise. A 50th level captain who plays it right now earns 4181 expertise. I'd prefer instead that playing this mission granted 223 dilithium and 1949 expertise.

This means that non-grind activities would provide a slow accumulation of dilithium and help promote activities such as playing episodes with lower-level friends or running through uncompleted missions. However, the more lucrative dilithium missions (ESNW, ESTFs, POTW, Nimbus/Eta trios, Contraband turn-in, etc.) would still be there for the folks who specifically want dilithium as a primary reward.

TL;DR I'm all in favor of playing the game for the fun of it, but drastically reducing the dilithium inputs for most endgame players will be counterproductive. I think it would be more effective to just provide (small) dilithium rewards for most activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by resoundingenvoy View Post
Having something to achieve is fun, but once you have everything there isn't anything left to do if that's all there was in the first place. There is no 'in place' content to do outside PvP and balance has been "coming soon" to that for so long it's almost the slogan.

"Coming soon to PVP near you, Balance!" -TM

For example, I annually dig out Master of Magic, Wizardy 8, Sacrifice, Starseige: Tribes, Tribes 2, or Black & White. The games are finite in a way, but they're so well done they are always worth the replay to me. The difference is very hard to explain.

Once the grind is done, there's nothing left to do, but even more grinding. There's nothing much that just makes people scream "Dear God that was fun! ... Lets do it again from the start!" over and over.
Commander
# 14
07-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
You mean besides the 1,000+ Foundry missions? Even at 15 minutes per, that's 250 /played hours of content you probably haven't looked at yet.

No, I haven't, and I should fix that problem. Thank you.
Commander
# 15
07-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaku View Post
Resounding, I think the problem here is that this idea actually makes the grind more painful. In my experience, I normally earn about 50,000 dilithium for every four hours of effort I put into seriously grinding. [...]
I like the idea of a alternative. It would let me enjoy a good story foundry story that took 5hour to complete without completely giving up on dilithium for the day.

(Honestly, I knew the 1K/hour thing is horrific. I just expected someone to actually spend more then 30seconds to stop in just long enough to say 'no'. It was a trap of sorts to make people think a little. )
Career Officer
# 16
07-19-2013, 05:55 PM
You mean my second job is supposed to be fun?

Just kidding.
You will learn that Delta Rising is the best expansion ever.YOU WILL LOVE IT.
Starfleet Veteran
# 17
07-19-2013, 06:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Lieutenant
# 18
07-20-2013, 01:24 AM
I would love to know how to grind 50k dil lol

I havent played lobg so have no clue why people say its grind grind .

Only recently managed to make my first million ec i still have a long way to go yet my ship is not equiped that well
"I don't care What Spock said Han shot first"
Career Officer
# 19
07-20-2013, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
If you're playing a fun game just to play it then the Dilithium doesn't matter.
STO is focused on dilithium grind,all game is about dilithium,no dilithium no fun

I suporting OP idea,in that case maybe I ll back to play this game !

+1
LoR should to be about rebuilding Romulan Star Empire,liberating Donatra from borg collective ,confronting Sela & madness of Tal Shiar,claiming Vulcan as new romulan homeworld...