Lt. Commander
# 1 Out of Video Memory
01-23-2010, 11:06 PM
I've gotten an Out of Video Memory error (Not enough available video memory) numerous times during the beta. I haven't been able to track down any specific cause other than it only seems to happen when I get a communication pop up window. I will see the window pop up, and it seems that it crashes while trying to load the image of whoever is trying to communicate with me.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Iv had this happen a few times to me. But what bugs me is that if I fully exit sto, I have to fully restart my pc otherwise ground control runs like a slide show. Really annoying.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-24-2010, 02:56 AM
LOL makes me laugh! I've had the error message in question once and I have 4GB GDDR5 lol!
Lt. Commander
# 4 Same problem here...
02-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Happens to be regularly as well -- I'm running dual 4870X2 in CrossFireX... I'm pretty damn sure I have plenty of video ram to run at max settings!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Ive got the same every time from the loading screen before character selection. I cant play the game right now at all.

What can i do please!? It worked during beta ffs.

Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2010, 12:41 AM
I got this also and then updated my graphics driver to newest version and all is fine now.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Got it again even with AA turned off. Still only happens when a Communications Window tries to pop up.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-12-2010, 09:31 PM
I get something similar.
"Low video memory detected. Running with reduced textures."
I've had it since OB. Still get it today.
Doesn't seem to affect anything, I'm still running with full textures on my selected graphic settings, as far as I can tell. I sent a bug report on it way back in OB.
Never got a response.
As I mentioned above, it didn't seem to have any impact at all, so I just largely ignore it.
BTW, I have 2gbs DDR3 RAM on the videocard and 4 more on the MB. Latest drivers, too.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratus6 View Post
I get something similar.
"Low video memory detected. Running with reduced textures."
I've had it since OB. Still get it today.
Doesn't seem to affect anything, I'm still running with full textures on my selected graphic settings, as far as I can tell. I sent a bug report on it way back in OB.
Never got a response.
As I mentioned above, it didn't seem to have any impact at all, so I just largely ignore it.
BTW, I have 2gbs DDR3 RAM on the videocard and 4 more on the MB. Latest drivers, too.
If my memory is right this error has little to do with the memory in the graphic card but has to do with system resource handling memory in windows.(It was explained in a post by a dev in CHampions forum)
I had this problem when I played Champions Online on a XP machine with 2 gig memory and a 8800 GTX with 756 meg meory. When I switched to a PC with 9 gig memory and Win 7 I did not have that problem.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusMD
If my memory is right this error has little to do with the memory in the graphic card but has to do with system resource handling memory in windows.(It was explained in a post by a dev in CHampions forum)
I had this problem when I played Champions Online on a XP machine with 2 gig memory and a 8800 GTX with 756 meg meory. When I switched to a PC with 9 gig memory and Win 7 I did not have that problem.
This is true. Thanks for mentioning that fact, PegasisMD.
Memory handling over 3gb is a known issue with all versions of Windows prior to W7.
Nowadays, running a vid card with <1gb of DDR on it is bound to create problems with most games.
However, I failed to mention that I am running on Windows 7. Of the 4gb of onboard RAM, I'm only using about 350mb on 29 backround processes, so low available RAM shouldn't be an issue.
My vid card is a 9800gtx with 2gb. My game settings in STO are not cranked up to max everything...only about mid to high, depending on the individual setting.