Starfleet Veteran
In one way, I do not want this, but at the same time, I do with other included improvements, it would add to the realism.

To compensate:
  • All dealable damage reduced and hull increased.
  • Injuries from direct weapon damage to the hull
  • Increased hull
  • (Although strictly not compensation, have more customizability of what to heal and better energy allocation. For info, see my Sig.
  • PvP with same faction would be a Holodeck simulation (adding use for Holodeck) and perhaps (and hopefully) the same for cross faction PvP

Pros:

More realistic

Makes dieing a real issue, and actually matters (as it does not really as it currently stands)

Perhaps lower priced Zen ships!
Cons:

Real money ships would be at danger of a complete loss in something like a STF

Insurance , if any, would; should, cost real money. (For example $5 for a T5 ship website purchasable, or 650 zen from the C-store)

Mistakes may be a big problem

DISCUSS!
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...

Last edited by jumpingjs; 07-20-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
07-20-2013, 02:07 PM
This isn't Eve man. Ship loss isn't something to have in this game.

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
07-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussweatherlight View Post
This isn't Eve man. Ship loss isn't something to have in this game.
Don't play EVE, but this thought came across.

I presume by that comment, EVE has perma death.
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

Captain
# 4
07-20-2013, 02:11 PM
If anyone wants to follow the perma-death model, then it should be self-enforced. Lots of us like the casual nature of this game and changes to it would result in a mass exodus due to the permanent loss of a lockbox ship or C-Store ship. Eve apparently is a good space game that has some of the features you want. Dieing in Eve can be a very costly affair since ships can be worth thousands of dollars. So if you want these features, then go play Eve.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
07-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
If anyone wants to follow the perma-death model, then it should be self-enforced. Lots of us like the casual nature of this game and changes to it would result in a mass exodus due to the permanent loss of a lockbox ship or C-Store ship. Eve apparently is a good space game that has some of the features you want. Dieing in Eve can be a very costly affair since ships can be worth thousands of dollars. So if you want these features, then go play Eve.
Okay ... then maybe you cannot play it for a few days ...

And no, I do NOT want to play EVE.

Captain
# 6
07-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjs View Post
Don't play EVE, but this thought came across.

I presume by that comment, EVE has perma death.
Eve doesn't have perma death, but dieing can result in the loss of valuable cargo and your ship if you didn't purchase insurance for it. Heard of a story where someone was carrying a thousand dollars worth of Subscription tickets or whatever its called and lost all of it due to their ship being destroyed. Another more recent story is that a guy lost is $9000 ship due to an ambush. Also Insurance only covers up to a certain amount of the cost so that guy that lost his $9000 ship might have only got $10 worth of insurance back. Basically Eve amounts to 6 months of grind to get a real good ship, lose it in a day, and then another 6 months of grind to get an identical ship. So basically, if you don't want to lose a particular ship, then don't fly it and be prepared to lose the ship you are flying.
Republic Veteran
# 7
07-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Let's ask Dr.evil what he thinks

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Captain
# 8
07-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjs View Post
Okay ... then maybe you cannot play it for a few days ...

And no, I do NOT want to play EVE.
Don't blame you about not wanting to play Eve. It takes a certain type of person to play that game.

Any form of punishment involving death should be self-enforced. The current death penalty system is good enough. Had a roommate that kept on deleting his characters when they died because they were tainted.
Captain
# 9
07-20-2013, 02:26 PM
If anything, the current system should get RID of death entirely; replace it with "warped away to repair" or something. This would also be an opportunity to add some interesting additional game mechanics (provided they still got rid of death - people who kinda-sorta like this idea like finding ways to slip death back in anyway and completely miss the point). Although if people want to pop in PvP that's fine by me (but again, non-permanent). And I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

If they added permanent ship exploding "features" I'd be gone in days, I can pretty much assure you, and so would a very large number of others. Perma-death (or ship explosion) is one of the things that makes Eve appealing to the people who like it and abhorrent to the people who don't.
Captain
# 10
07-20-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm not in favour of perma-death, I am in favour of ships being disabled and "reviveable" by other players however.

If a player gets disabled (0% hull, no critical hit recieved) the ship should begin to drift and the player should be offered to wait for help or abandon ship. If he waits, team members could tow him or her out of the danger zone (Engineer specialty?) and "revive" him or her. A Engineer could patch him or her up to 75% hull and shields (roughly) and every other player to about 25%. If the player decides to abandon the ship or gets blown up by a critical hit he should respawn OUTSIDE of the current map, maybe at the nearest starbase/outpost/checkpoint to add some kind of penalty to death.
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh