Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,657
# 111
07-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanvak View Post
First I agree with the OP. We are here to discuss. some answer are getting a way too aggressive as the point has been made quite clearly.

OK, some fleet mission and agruably the pvp one too are some garantee to explode/die. The idea was to move from perma-death that does not fit the game balalce to DEATH MATTER. Which is different.

Second, not all mission are design for you to die. Even the lance can be avoid (in theory). So you could perfectly have different death setting according to the mission.

The most proposed solution are :

_ Make Ship respawn at a nearest starbase (this option could be disabled for certain mission like pvp)
_ Make a ship unavialable for a set time (hours or days) (this option could be disabled for certain mission like pvp)
_ Have the player respawn in another of his ship until he got no ship or shuttle left. At this point the player either beam to friend or respawn at the nearest starbase. This could work even in pvp.

Will this system be better than a perma-death?

The last optiuon would be to make a hardcore server separate from the softcore server where perma death will be implemented (this way the one agaisnt ill still be able to play on the softcore).
Finally someone who is appears sane and can understand the point of a bloody discussion.

Some of your suggestions are cool to, especially the 2nd one, which would do as Perma death for me!


Proof that we ALL being MINDCONTROLLED!!! (Possibly 1984 style) Click here to find out more!
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 835
# 112
07-22-2013, 09:28 PM
As others have said, the game already allows this. When you get blown up, go back to the character selection screen, delete the character and start a new one. If you want to roleplay and admit your ship was destroyed but your Captain survived by abandoning ship, dismiss the ship and get a new one. The game even allows you to put suffixes (perhaps not the best term but you get the idea) to your ship so you can have a "insert name" A, "insert name" B, etc...
So there is absolutelly no need for this mechanic to be put in game, as it is something you can easily do on a type of gameplay you prefer.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 96
# 113
07-22-2013, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmgtorres1979 View Post
As others have said, the game already allows this. When you get blown up, go back to the character selection screen, delete the character and start a new one. If you want to roleplay and admit your ship was destroyed but your Captain survived by abandoning ship, dismiss the ship and get a new one. The game even allows you to put suffixes (perhaps not the best term but you get the idea) to your ship so you can have a "insert name" A, "insert name" B, etc...
So there is absolutelly no need for this mechanic to be put in game, as it is something you can easily do on a type of gameplay you prefer.
I disagree. What you are saying is useless from my point of view. First the game is multi player which mean some competition between player. Doing what you say will basically mean the one that delete character cannot go to pvp again the one "cheating"...err not wanting perma-death. Second the OP acknowledge that the game as it is cannot support perma-death. He made some suggestion that I don't like but it does offer to balance the game. When you play in multi-player you will sea people doing silly thing and respawn spoiling your fun. Last but not least, I don't think that it is psychologically sound. I have actually deleted one of character in a another game because I consider he reach real death but it was an intense role-play event (and I actually respawn before taking the decision). I didn't delete it because I wanted perma-death but only because its story have reach an end and this end was his death (but again it does have respawn several time).

So there is no system that allow perma-death in STO saying that is either a lie or an insult. So please refrain to use this line again as it have been abuse quite a lot on this thread.
Ensign
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 13
# 114
07-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Disclaimer: I didn't read past page 5 when the idea came to me so if anyone beat me to it kudos! Oh and if you take it to market I want in.

I have an idea too! It should be as well received as perma-death in STO.
It goes a little something like this.

First I need a motor, a hammer and a spring. I attach the motor/spring/hammer assembly to the underside of your desk or whatever surface your keyboard sits on. Now, when you enter combat the motor ratchets the hammer back putting tension on the spring. Then when you die, the spring is let loose, the hammer flies and wham! smashes you right in the groin!

This way you actually feel the sensation of dying, not just look at pixels on the screen.

Hrmm, I should patent that as it would work for first person shooters too.

Oh! And we can have an idle timer on it. So anyone AFKing for more than 3? minutes and the hammer lets fly! Only in this instance we'll need a stronger motor and just have it swing constantly for the next 5 minutes.

Seriously though, no perma-death. It'd ruin this game, it's just not made for it.
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 835
# 115
07-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanvak View Post
I disagree. What you are saying is useless from my point of view. First the game is multi player which mean some competition between player. Doing what you say will basically mean the one that delete character cannot go to pvp again the one "cheating"...err not wanting perma-death. Second the OP acknowledge that the game as it is cannot support perma-death. He made some suggestion that I don't like but it does offer to balance the game. When you play in multi-player you will sea people doing silly thing and respawn spoiling your fun. Last but not least, I don't think that it is psychologically sound. I have actually deleted one of character in a another game because I consider he reach real death but it was an intense role-play event (and I actually respawn before taking the decision). I didn't delete it because I wanted perma-death but only because its story have reach an end and this end was his death (but again it does have respawn several time).

So there is no system that allow perma-death in STO saying that is either a lie or an insult. So please refrain to use this line again as it have been abuse quite a lot on this thread.
You don't agree, fine, it's your perrogative, but you have no right to "demand" what you say in you last phrase. Not to me not to anyone. This is a forum, people issue their opinions. Mine is: the game allows you to die and stay dead.
Captain
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,204
# 116
07-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmgtorres1979 View Post
As others have said, the game already allows this. When you get blown up, go back to the character selection screen, delete the character and start a new one. If you want to roleplay and admit your ship was destroyed but your Captain survived by abandoning ship, dismiss the ship and get a new one. The game even allows you to put suffixes (perhaps not the best term but you get the idea) to your ship so you can have a "insert name" A, "insert name" B, etc...
So there is absolutelly no need for this mechanic to be put in game, as it is something you can easily do on a type of gameplay you prefer.
Well seems the developers already implemented perma-death to the game! permanent loss of ship and everything equipped on it? discharge the ship with everything on it. Boffs should have died too? dismiss them! Doff's? get rid of them too. Everything attached to the account because you bought ships with zen.. well i dont know if they would delete an account but you can always send in a support ticket requesting it and open a new one and start from scratch buying everything all over again.

To those who want perma-death or other masochist setups you already have it but you refuse to use it. You want it then do it, nobody is stopping you but you. Delete ships or toons all you want and leave us that do not want it out of it.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 97
# 117
07-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanvak View Post
I disagree. What you are saying is useless from my point of view. First the game is multi player which mean some competition between player. Doing what you say will basically mean the one that delete character cannot go to pvp again the one "cheating"...err not wanting perma-death. Second the OP acknowledge that the game as it is cannot support perma-death. He made some suggestion that I don't like but it does offer to balance the game. When you play in multi-player you will sea people doing silly thing and respawn spoiling your fun. Last but not least, I don't think that it is psychologically sound. I have actually deleted one of character in a another game because I consider he reach real death but it was an intense role-play event (and I actually respawn before taking the decision). I didn't delete it because I wanted perma-death but only because its story have reach an end and this end was his death (but again it does have respawn several time).

So there is no system that allow perma-death in STO saying that is either a lie or an insult. So please refrain to use this line again as it have been abuse quite a lot on this thread.
I disagree. What you are saying is useless from my point of view. The game does have "perma-death", as stated before DELETE YOUR CHARACTER and SHIPS. The problem seems to be you want everyone to have it. Not everyone wants it , sorry. So there is a system that allow perma-death, you just have to implement it yourself. Not sure if you know what "abuse" means, we are just stating a way to have the perma-death YOU want. Sorry if it is not to your liking, but it is possible and exists right now.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,657
# 118
07-23-2013, 03:51 AM
And people who say "Delete char, problem solved!!" , lets see what YouTube thinks you are ... an idiot ... or a genius?

Why?

because, this is permadeath SPACE!,

NOT PERMA DEATH FULL STOP!!


If your into RP, then your idea is good to delete or rename or use a different, ship ...


I think by far the best idea here, is to have an Ultra elite mode, in which once you die, you cannot take part in the mission any longer!


Proof that we ALL being MINDCONTROLLED!!! (Possibly 1984 style) Click here to find out more!

Last edited by jumpingjs; 07-23-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:14 AM.