Commander
# 11
07-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Permadeath, the los of one's character, is a good idea for a game like EVE and ought to be applied to null sec. It would certainly put an end to lots of BS.The loss of one's ship and gear in play is a fixture for sandbox games and not really suited to a themepark like STO. This is a game more about the Trek experience than any challenge even though the IP isn't really suited for a traditional MMORPG. Such loss mechanics would simply get in the way and add nothing.

As to EVE, STO should try to be nothing like it at every turn. Both games are what they are.
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
07-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Let's ask Dr.evil what he thinks
We can ALWAYS count on you to provide the best youtube responces.

Do you have a crack team of people to find them or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
I'm not in favour of perma-death, I am in favour of ships being disabled and "reviveable" by other players however.

If a player gets disabled (0% hull, no critical hit recieved) the ship should begin to drift and the player should be offered to wait for help or abandon ship. If he waits, team members could tow him or her out of the danger zone (Engineer specialty?) and "revive" him or her. A Engineer could patch him or her up to 75% hull and shields (roughly) and every other player to about 25%. If the player decides to abandon the ship or gets blown up by a critical hit he should respawn OUTSIDE of the current map, maybe at the nearest starbase/outpost/checkpoint to add some kind of penalty to death.
Yeah, I think that is a great idea.

One flaw . The Klingons and bad guys probably do not agree with Disabling, they go for the "DIEEEE!" option.
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...

Last edited by jumpingjs; 07-20-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-20-2013, 01:44 PM
99% of the players would instantly quit, and of those, 99% would go straight into therapy. The rest would slit their wrists. It's a carebear game.

Seriously, go play EVE, it's many levels of magnitude above this simplistic game, but beware, it will devour your life. Then when the burn-out hits, come back to no risk STO. And weep.
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
07-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedeadheaded View Post
99% of the players would instantly quit, and of those, 99% would go straight into therapy. The rest would slit their wrists. It's a carebear game.

Seriously, go play EVE, it's many levels of magnitude above this simplistic game, but beware, it will devour your life. Then when the burn-out hits, come back to no risk STO. And weep.
I DO NOT WANT TO PLAY EVE!

NO GOD NO to EVE.
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Captain
# 15
07-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjs View Post
Yeah, I think that is a great idea.

One flaw . The Klingons and bad guys probably do not agree with Disabling, they go for the "DIEEEE!" option.
One reason why warping away would be a viable solution to this. It's also possible that - as we're all supposed to be some of the best space captains in history - everyone else on the map is an immediate and profound threat and they need to take care of them first. Wounded tiger being most dangerous and all. Plus there's the possibility of doing something like directing the warp core's power directly into the shields, leaving a few seconds of invulnerability and a charge for rapid-escape warp, and basically no other possibilities to continue until they've had a chance to repair. This is, of course, assuming we ignore the "it's a game" logic.
Lieutenant
# 16
07-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Have a "Hardcore" mode in pvp
Premades only
Fleet teams only as well.
otherwise its a very bad idea.
Career Officer
# 17
07-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjs View Post
Don't play EVE, but this thought came across.

I presume by that comment, EVE has perma death.
Well, it has ship loss, and at a certain point, skill loss. Eve is a much more hardcore game. I have a sub, and play every so often. It's a very demanding game to be competitive, and many equate it as having a job.

Getting in to corporations (like a guild) can be a tedious process because od problems with spies.

Don't get me wrong, the game is incredible, and epic, but it is hard, and not friendly to casual players in any way.

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
07-20-2013, 02:06 PM
(Sigh)

I commented on this in a moar PvP thread:

EVE is still running.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Commander
# 19
07-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastlegate View Post
Have a "Hardcore" mode in pvp
Premades only
Fleet teams only as well.
otherwise its a very bad idea.
Only way to play Diablo. I would do it, though I disagree with being limited to only PvP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedeadheaded View Post
You sir, please stop following me.
Career Officer
# 20
07-20-2013, 02:16 PM
sorry don't like it, this is a free to play game not some crazy star citizen game or eve. So my view, simply, utterly, no.
Like my Fan Page Here
xXLocutusXx