Career Officer
# 1 Republic Premonitions
07-20-2013, 01:58 PM
A question about the Romulans, more so as to their advance. When LoR was released, I joined most people with the creation of a Romulan toon and played through the missions (at least, the Romulan specific missions).

Then, after concluding that the Romulan faction held no real difference from my chosen ally (in my case, the Federation) I decided to delete my Republic character. I've already got Federation characters; I didn't need another one (which is exactly what a Fed-aligned Romulan becomes at end game point).

My question here though is quite simple; I'm thinking more long-term, and I remain optimistic about an independent Republic faction at some point, but if I created another Romulan (or two) and leveled them all the way to #50, if / when Cryptic get around to doing the independence thing, would I likely be required to start over, or would the changes likely update the status of any Republic characters I'm running with?

If the latter, then I might as well wait for if / when. If the former, then I could go ahead with Republic toon creation.

That is all.
Captain
# 2
07-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
A question about the Romulans, more so as to their advance. When LoR was released, I joined most people with the creation of a Romulan toon and played through the missions (at least, the Romulan specific missions).

Then, after concluding that the Romulan faction held no real difference from my chosen ally (in my case, the Federation) I decided to delete my Republic character. I've already got Federation characters; I didn't need another one (which is exactly what a Fed-aligned Romulan becomes at end game point).

My question here though is quite simple; I'm thinking more long-term, and I remain optimistic about an independent Republic faction at some point, but if I created another Romulan (or two) and leveled them all the way to #50, if / when Cryptic get around to doing the independence thing, would I likely be required to start over, or would the changes likely update the status of any Republic characters I'm running with?

If the latter, then I might as well wait for if / when. If the former, then I could go ahead with Republic toon creation.

That is all.
don't expect an "independence thing", probably not going to happen. Just level the Romulan if you like PVP as it seems your gimping yourself without warbirds or if you like the faction as a whole as it is right now
Career Officer
# 3
07-20-2013, 02:09 PM
There will be no independent Romulan faction. I am however curious what you mean by "[...] the Romulan faction held no real difference from my chosen ally (in my case, the Federation)"[...] The Romulan faction is about as different from the others as Federation and KDF. Maybe more since they are the only ones with exclusive social zones.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Career Officer
# 4
07-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by assimilatedktar View Post
The Romulan faction is about as different from the others as Federation and KDF. Maybe more since they are the only ones with exclusive social zones.
Come level #50 (and in some cases before), the Federation and the Klingons have their own unique locations, their own unique ships, their own unique duty officer assignments and their own unique bridge officers. In addition they've also got their own end game gear (such as the MACO or Honour Guard Sets).

Romulans players have nothing half as unique, and they can go everywhere or do everything. As a Romulan, you can fly a Federation/Klingon ship, or visit Earth/Qo'nos. You use the duty officer assignments of your chosen ally, though are seemingly subjected to using more allied doffs than you are Romulan. Feel like adding an allied boff to your crew? That can be done, but they're still working for the Federation/Klingon and as such are stuck with the traditional specific uniform. The whole system feels like a cheat.

The early stages of the republic story are great, I love/loved it. However the later stages of their advancement grows stale and boring rather quickly; mostly because it's a repeat of something that has already been done.

I'll never know how people stick with their 18 toons. I'm struggling with 4.
Captain
# 5
07-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Come level #50 (and in some cases before), the Federation and the Klingons have their own unique locations, their own unique ships, their own unique duty officer assignments and their own unique bridge officers. In addition they've also got their own end game gear (such as the MACO or Honour Guard Sets).

Romulans players have nothing half as unique, and they can go everywhere or do everything. As a Romulan, you can fly a Federation/Klingon ship, or visit Earth/Qo'nos. You use the duty officer assignments of your chosen ally, though are seemingly subjected to using more allied doffs than you are Romulan. Feel like adding an allied boff to your crew? That can be done, but they're still working for the Federation/Klingon and as such are stuck with the traditional specific uniform. The whole system feels like a cheat.

The early stages of the republic story are great, I love/loved it. However the later stages of their advancement grows stale and boring rather quickly; mostly because it's a repeat of something that has already been done.

They have their own ships, have the romulan command center, and have their own Bridge Officers's( which are OP at the moment) which neither KDF or Feds can have and share no uniforms with either faction.

Have you ever played a romulan before, you don't seem to know anything about them?
Captain
# 6
07-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Roms have lots the other two factions don't...
I send three purple diplomats on a simple gift exchange and they blow it...
I send three white bartenders on a three day wilderness training exercise and the crit it...
Career Officer
# 7
07-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Quote:
When LoR was released, I joined most people with the creation of a Romulan toon and played through the missions (at least, the Romulan specific missions).

Then, after concluding that the Romulan faction held no real difference from my chosen ally (in my case, the Federation) I decided to delete my Republic character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmaster101 View Post
Have you ever played a romulan before, you don't seem to know anything about them?
Reading is essential.

Quote:
Romulans players have nothing half as unique, and they can go everywhere or do everything.
Quote:
They have their own ships, have the romulan command center, and have their own Bridge Officers's (which are OP at the moment) which neither KDF or Feds can have and share no uniforms with either faction.
Maybe I wasn't clear.

Whilst it is true that the Romulans do have their own unique goodies, what use are they? What is the point in visiting the command centre when Starfleet Academy / Earth Space Dock and the Klingon Academy / First City are not only available, but also have more options within them? The Romulan Command Centre works for levels #1 - #10, come level #11 (when you choose your ally) it practically becomes redundant.

Bridge Officers (whilst possibly over powered) are very minimal too. A Romulan, Reman or Alien. The 3rd option here isn't one that I'd benefit from anyway (I like my bridge officers to be an actual species rather than a random creation). After allying, and as a Romulan, you get a unique clothing choice. Why can't that at least work both ways? Wouldn't hurt to have a Vulcan wearing the FED-ROM attire would it?
Career Officer
# 8
07-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Quote:

Nope. The Federation and Klingons have locations they have to share with the Romulans, the Romulans are the ones who have two unique social zones. At T5 all three factions have their own unique starships (and before that the Romulans are the ones whose are exclusive). The Federation and Klingons have to share their small craft with the Romulans, who get 3 unique ones. The The Federation and Klingons have to share their duty officers and assignments with their allies, the Romulans have unique ones. Same goes for the bridge officers. Romulan endgame gear is currently in the works.

Quote:

I loved doing the mission where you save the Rapier from the wormhole with my Romulan. It's a real shame that missions ends on a separate empty DS9 map. They were already freaked out when they were saved by Romulans. Then seeing a bunch of D'deridexes and Scimitars hovering over DS9 when they come back? The reaction would have been priceless.

Quote:
Reading is essential.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

Whilst it is true that the Romulans do have their own unique goodies, what use are they? What is the point in visiting the command centre when Starfleet Academy / Earth Space Dock and the Klingon Academy / First City are not only available, but also have more options within them? The Romulan Command Centre works for levels #1 - #10, come level #11 (when you choose your ally) it practically becomes redundant.

Bridge Officers (whilst possibly over powered) are very minimal too. A Romulan, Reman or Alien. The 3rd option here isn't one that I'd benefit from anyway (I like my bridge officers to be an actual species rather than a random creation). After allying, and as a Romulan, you get a unique clothing choice. Why can't that at least work both ways? Wouldn't hurt to have a Vulcan wearing the FED-ROM attire would it?
What use? Unique playstyle? And I still constantly return to New Romulus for Romulan duty officers and the chance on a mission to recruit a new Romulan/Reman BO.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.

Last edited by assimilatedktar; 07-20-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Captain
# 9
07-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Reading is essential.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

Bridge Officers (whilst possible over powered) are very minimal too. A Romulan, Reman or Alien. The 3rd option here isn't one that I'd benefit from anyway (I like my bridge officers to be an actual species rather than a random creation). After allying, and as a Romulan, you get a unique clothing choice. Why can't that at least work both ways? Wouldn't hurt to have a Vulcan wearing the FED-ROM attire would it?
Rom/Remans are the only members of the RR, of course they are going to be the only non-alien choice that is common sense. Plus they have OP abilities you cannot get on a fed/KDF characters and you can get any allied faction boffs as well. I go to the Command center all the time, it has everything that ESD/KFS has, not sure what you are talking about here? Why would a member of the federation wear an RR outfit, that is like saying you want your vulcan to wear klingon battle armor.
Career Officer
# 10
07-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Nope. The Federation and Klingons have locations they have to share with the Romulans, the Romulans are the ones who have two unique social zones. At T5 all three factions have their own unique starships (and before that the Romulans are the ones whose are exclusive). The Federation and Klingons have to share their small craft with the Romulans, who get 3 unique ones. The The Federation and Klingons have to share their duty officers and assignments with their allies, the Romulans have unique ones. Same goes for the bridge officers.
This further amplifies my point. If you're already highly involved in a FED or KDF toon, are you really going to want to spend the time creating a ROM character for a few minor additions? In addition to that, if you're a new player (and have some knowledge of the game) what logic is there to play as a FED/KDF when you essentially get the best of both worlds with a Romulan?

Quote:
Romulan endgame gear is currently in the works.
This is news to me. Source?

Quote:
I loved doing the mission where you save the Rapier from the wormhole with my Romulan. It's a real shame that missions ends on a separate empty DS9 map. They were already freaked out when they were saved by Romulans. Then seeing a bunch of D'deridexes and Scimitars hovering over DS9 when they come back? The reaction would have been priceless.
Admittedly, I haven't played any of the generic missions with a Romulan. Short of a few dialogue changes, I'm pretty sure most of the missions play out exactly the same.

[quote=assimilatedktar;11501991]What use? Unique playstyle? And I still constantly return to New Romulus for Romulan duty officers and the chance on a mission to recruit a new Romulan/Reman BO.
Quote:
I go to the Command center all the time, it has everything that ESD/KFS has, not sure what you are talking about here?
Unless there has been a change in the way the system works, there are/were restrictions regarding Romulan Doffs.

Quote:
Rom/Remans are the only members of the RR, of course they are going to be the only non-alien choice that is common sense.
Freelance Suliban and Cardassians would have been a welcome (and suited) addition.

Quote:
Why would a member of the federation wear an RR outfit, that is like saying you want your vulcan to wear klingon battle armor.
For the same reason we're able to fly a Galor or Recluse. Variation and fan demand. This costume thing was brought up quite early after LoR was released. It might not seem practical (neither do lock box ships) but it is desired.

Last edited by flash525; 07-20-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: extending quotes/replies