Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Captain
My main is a Starfleet tactical officer in a Fleet Assault Cruiser Refit. I've heard so much about Auxiliary to Battery on cruisers that I decided I ought to try it. As such, I did some work on my build.

It was originally what was illustrated here, derived mostly from the Dragon build of old:

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...071013001_2770

They were changed to, in my Aux2Bat build:

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...072013001_2770

For my experiment, I used tactical abilities as they were listed for the Aux2Bat build.

Normally, I rotate TT1 (only one copy due to DOff abilities), EPtW1 (x2), EPtS2/3 and A2SIF3. With Aux2Bat, I rotate TT1, EPtA1, EPtS3 and Aux2Bat1 (x2). I also put three purple technicians in my DOffs. I do not have Marion as he is way too expensive for me to buy as an experiment. I also have not gotten my engineer trained in DEM3 (yet).

Upon using the Aux2Bat build in actual combat, the results were lackluster to say the least. I beamspammed FAW because I was going for maximum DPS as a test.

The result was that the Aux2Bat build did around 1K less DPS (something like 7K vs. 8K for my old build with the new tactical skills). Although it seemed more survivable, upon closer analysis it seems that this is because it ticked off the enemies less - I received 1/3rd of the damage with Aux2Bat that I did with my regular build. Missions tested were Crystaline Entity and Cure Space Normal. I paid particular attention to the final boss fight in Cure Space Normal, as it seemed to be the most "pure DPS" fight available for testing. For these tests, I kept the tactical abilities the same (which means, TT1, TS1, APB1, BFAW3).

So, what precisely am I doing wrong, if anything? It seems like the claims about Aux2Bat are somewhat overblown here against my Dragon-derived build. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Note: If you look at the skill points, there are a number unspent, and no reputation bonuses. I'm indecisive. Suggestions for that would be appreciated as well.
Captain
# 2
07-20-2013, 09:56 PM
I think part of the reason that the A2B build seemed lackluster compared to the Dragon build is because you opted to use EPtA instead of EPtW. Early on that was a good choice because A2B wasn't taking the power granted by EPtA, so it was possible to maintain a solid Aux power level while taking advantage of A2B. Since that was fixed, EPtA has little advantage in an A2B build, and since the damage buff from EPtW now gets full uptime it's considerably more powerful. That alone could account for the difference, and when combined with the higher weapon power it gives almost certainly does (nothing else in the Dragon version would give it a DPS advantage, while the A2B gets DEM and better uptime on FAW and APB). Of course, another advantage to A2B is that it produces high uptime on Marion, which is hugely valuable for a beam boat, and which you didn't get. But what you'll probably find is that switching to EPtW on the A2B build will immediately give it the higher DPS.
Captain
# 3
07-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
I think part of the reason that the A2B build seemed lackluster compared to the Dragon build is because you opted to use EPtA instead of EPtW. Early on that was a good choice because A2B wasn't taking the power granted by EPtA, so it was possible to maintain a solid Aux power level while taking advantage of A2B. Since that was fixed, EPtA has little advantage in an A2B build, and since the damage buff from EPtW now gets full uptime it's considerably more powerful. That alone could account for the difference, and when combined with the higher weapon power it gives almost certainly does (nothing else in the Dragon version would give it a DPS advantage, while the A2B gets DEM and better uptime on FAW and APB). Of course, another advantage to A2B is that it produces high uptime on Marion, which is hugely valuable for a beam boat, and which you didn't get. But what you'll probably find is that switching to EPtW on the A2B build will immediately give it the higher DPS.
I was figuring that might be the case, about EPtW. One reason I did CE is because the CE itself has no shields, so I figured that (sans Marion) a lack of DEM would be of considerably less concern. Thanks! I'll try that soon.
Captain
# 4
07-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
So, what precisely am I doing wrong, if anything? It seems like the claims about Aux2Bat are somewhat overblown here against my Dragon-derived build. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Note: If you look at the skill points, there are a number unspent, and no reputation bonuses. I'm indecisive. Suggestions for that would be appreciated as well.
First off, you're still spec'd like a Tac-officer's ship: All about brute shield strength, armor and mobility. For aux2bat, you need to think like an engineer - specifically, about maximizing energy input, output and flow.

First, look at my current build:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...ktacfahcrevg_0

Notice that I'm using only a single defense-related engineering console. All the rest are dedicated to either giving me more power or improving accuracy.

The Plasmonic Leech, in particular, is critical. It allows me to run without too much armor and also without Field Gens (having an Adapted MACO shield with an 8K+ base cap doesn't hurt, either). That's because the "leeching" aspect allows me to keep the energy levels high across the board, and I then use this characteristic to buff the shields and weapons almost continuously (see notes on Boff skills below).

Going hand-in-hand with the Leech is an investment in Flow Capacitors - both in character points (six in my case, though I may respec higher soon) and a pair of VR Mark 12 consoles (+30 each).

I wasn't a true believer until I tried investing in "flowcap" skills and equipment. I was struggling to break the 8K barrier and got curious about a build I saw from a guy quoting "10-12K" consistently in ESTFs. That build had both Sci console slots filled with "flowcap" consoles. So I tried a pair of Mark 11s I had lying around from loot drops and saw my DPS spike by 1-2K. I then upped those to Mark 12 Rares from the Exchange and saw another 1-2K boost.

Finally, I grabbed the Mark 12 VRs when I saw them on the Exchange and had my best outing so far in this boat: 12.3K DPS on KASE. I'm now doing 10-11K+ consistently and expect to push that higher when I respec more into "flowcaps" and also shift some wasted Torp Specialization skills over to Energy Weapons and other "6 points but should be 9" areas of my toon.

Another thing to consider is your Boff skill arrangement. For the Cmdr. Eng. slots I'd switch the EPtA1 with EPtS1 (for more defense) or EPtW1 (for more offense), then spec RSP2 into the third slot and get someone to train you in DEM3 for the fourth slot. RSP2 will do more to regen your shields under fire than EPtS3, in my experience, plus it's fun to look "wounded" and then suddenly turn into a tank when they hit you hardest. Also, TSS2 gives you a nice, semi-continous buff, and when combined with EPtS1 and RSP2, will let you hang with a gate at point blank range and do some real damage.

Lastly, check your keybinds. Make sure you have both aux2bat commands cycling continuosly. I've got TT1, APA3, APB1, FOMM3, A2B (x2), GDF3, DEM3, TI3 and EPtW1 all bound to spacebar and I just hammer on that thing like there's now tomorrow while popping BFAW3 when appropriate. Then, it's just a matter of maneuvering the ship and hitting the shield buffs skills when necessary. And if I need an Aux boost to help with a hull heal, I pop an Aux battery.

But I can't stress enough the need for flow-cap investment and also the Leech. The former you can find in loot drops (Mark 10s or 11s) or even buy for Dil. The latter can be found on the Exchange for 1-1.5M EC. Well worth the time and investment, and really a requirement if you're serious about aux2bat.

Hope that helps! I'm just learning myself, but it's been a fun ride so far...

UPDATE: I just realized one of the downsides of your FACR build is the lack of a 3rd Eng slot. Bummer because it makes it hard to spec both EPtW1 and EPtS1, giving you slightly less flexibility. One of the reasons why I'm so darned happy with my Fleet AHCR and also why everyone calls it the best "aux2bat" beam boat platform.

RCK

Last edited by rck01; 07-20-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-20-2013, 11:14 PM
You don't want a 3rd eng ensign slot anyway. Changing that to a tactical ens in the ACR means an additional romulan boff for crit, and 2x tac team for the occasional time A2B hiccups and TT doesn't fire as fast as it should.

I'm also confused how running the leech and flow caps is gaining you dps. Leech is arguably less useful on A2B compared to say a dragon build, as you don't care about aux and the other 3 are rammed to the moon just with A2B constantly cycling. Weapon power should be max/near maxed anyway, so at best you're giving yourself more buffer cap to pull from, but flow caps and leach have no effect on how fast that is powered back into weapons power. Not that leech is a bad option and I'd always recommend it over a tank console for potential purposes, just that it shouldn't be affecting dps the way you are seeing it. Positioning will ultimately hold the biggest gain potential.

Scimi > Bortasqu > Tor'Khat/FACR > FAHCR if you're looking at A2B cruiser damage potential, with the fed cruisers getting the benefit DEM and RSP on global cooldown.

Last edited by eardianm; 07-20-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Captain
# 6
07-21-2013, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rck01 View Post

UPDATE: I just realized one of the downsides of your FACR build is the lack of a 3rd Eng slot. Bummer because it makes it hard to spec both EPtW1 and EPtS1, giving you slightly less flexibility. One of the reasons why I'm so darned happy with my Fleet AHCR and also why everyone calls it the best "aux2bat" beam boat platform.

RCK
no, not really...FAC can utilize a torpedo launcher...the excelsior can't or shouldn't
and to accomodate EPtS and EPtW on the FAC, you need to get rid of the ET. the tac esnign is way better than the ensign engi in this regard.

also, PH is way more effective imo, than jam sensors...even with only 1 aux power it gives around 20 resi (i think) and makes you immune to snare effects.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 07-21-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Captain
# 7
07-21-2013, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eardianm View Post
You don't want a 3rd eng ensign slot anyway. Changing that to a tactical ens in the ACR means an additional romulan boff for crit, and 2x tac team for the occasional time A2B hiccups and TT doesn't fire as fast as it should.

I'm also confused how running the leech and flow caps is gaining you dps. Leech is arguably less useful on A2B compared to say a dragon build, as you don't care about aux and the other 3 are rammed to the moon just with A2B constantly cycling. Weapon power should be max/near maxed anyway, so at best you're giving yourself more buffer cap to pull from, but flow caps and leach have no effect on how fast that is powered back into weapons power. Not that leech is a bad option and I'd always recommend it over a tank console for potential purposes, just that it shouldn't be affecting dps the way you are seeing it. Positioning will ultimately hold the biggest gain potential.

Scimi > Bortasqu > Tor'Khat/FACR > FAHCR if you're looking at A2B cruiser damage potential, with the fed cruisers getting the benefit DEM and RSP on global cooldown.
Well, maybe I misunderstood the affect of the leech - every detailed discussion I read indicates that it helps keep to mitigate the drop off in weapons power after the initial discharge, effectively keeping the point where it "settles" a bit higher for the remainder of the cycle (e.g. 80+ vs. dropping down into the 70s). It certainly seemed to help boost my output when I installed it.

As for flow caps, my understanding is that they help with EPtW/EPtS since they improve the flow of energy into those subsystems. On this point I'm positive I've seen an improvement - it's in the range of 4-5K DPS vs. the same build without them, and this while flying the same general pattern/positioning against the same targets. This can't be accounted for by simple variations in game scenarios. It's jut too big an effect.

Regardless, all of these are easy enough to test for oneself. Mark 10/11 flow cap consoles drop all over the place in ESTFs, etc., so if the OP sees one I say grab it and try out my suggestions. All I know is that I was languishing in the "8K and below club" until I made these mods, and now I'm happily doing 10K+ consistently, with 11-12K within reach if I bother to focus on DPS instead of the mission objectives.

RCK
Captain
# 8
07-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
no, not really...FAC can utilize a torpedo launcher...the excelsior can't or shouldn't
and to accomodate EPtS and EPtW on the FAC, you need to get rid of the ET. the tac esnign is way better than the ensign engi in this regard.

also, PH is way more effective imo, than jam sensors...even with only 1 aux power it gives around 20 resi (i think) and makes you immune to snare effects.
So PH will allow me to break Borg tractors? Because that's the only reason I run JS1 - I hate getting "held" during combat. I'll give it a try...

Thanks!
RCK
Captain
# 9
07-21-2013, 01:25 AM
You need to put the Assimilated Module in there somewhere, probably in place of one of the RCS modules. The Omega Weapon 2-piece is a big help in fighting drain, and the extra 5 weapons energy and crit bonuses don't hurt either. Also drop the rear torp for another beam array.
Captain
# 10
07-21-2013, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
You need to put the Assimilated Module in there somewhere, probably in place of one of the RCS modules. The Omega Weapon 2-piece is a big help in fighting drain, and the extra 5 weapons energy and crit bonuses don't hurt either. Also drop the rear torp for another beam array.
This!! ^^^

RCK