Career Officer
# 11
07-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I like John Eaves' work for the most part, but I feel like all of his Starfleet ships are too blocky and armored looking. I think if both designs were smoothed out some, they would have a lot of potential. I'm also not so crazy about the speed holes in the saucer. I've seen that in a few designs, and it always strikes me as unnecessary, and makes the ship look flimsy.
Agreed - and I have to admit, I fail to see what purpose they would serve and what their 'advantage' would be over utilising that space as part of the primary hull.

Anyway - prefer Mark Rademaker's designs myself - I realise that the Vesta (his design) polarises opinion, but I love it.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Career Officer
# 12
07-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I like John Eaves' work for the most part, but I feel like all of his Starfleet ships are too blocky and armored looking. I think if both designs were smoothed out some, they would have a lot of potential. I'm also not so crazy about the speed holes in the saucer. I've seen that in a few designs, and it always strikes me as unnecessary, and makes the ship look flimsy.
I thought this too, then I looked at all the Star Trek space battles and saw how many times there was a huge feedback explosion in the ship after a phaser blast punched through the saucer.

Less surface area makes it more flimsy but also reduces the target size.
Captain
# 13
07-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Once again, I am the only one who actually likes the Perpetual ships.
Captain
# 14
07-22-2013, 09:08 AM
The McCall's primary hull is a terribly inefficient design. If you're in one of the aft quarters of the saucer, and need to get to the forward section for some reason, you have to go all the way around, with no possible route through the bulk of the saucer - as the bulk of it does not exist.

And I've seen things blow up on the bridge of Federation ships when they get hit in the engineering hull - what they really need is to reinvent the circuit breaker.
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Rihannsu
# 15
07-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Both ships have several design point in common with the Regent-class. Nacelle pylon angle, use of negative space over the spine.

They might not be suited for STO, but surely they've proven good inspiration.
Mhae ir-Virinat t'Rillas, R.R.W Temer
Career Officer
# 16
07-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
The McCall's primary hull is a terribly inefficient design. If you're in one of the aft quarters of the saucer, and need to get to the forward section for some reason, you have to go all the way around, with no possible route through the bulk of the saucer - as the bulk of it does not exist.
That assumes that there is always a straightline path from any point A to any point B, which is a false assumption. The corridors and turbolifts would be arranged in some grid like fashion regardless. The time from distance point A to distant point B would be about the same in the McCall vs a variant with the holes filled in.
Captain
# 17
07-22-2013, 09:28 AM
I've read about these befores, IIRC the open saucer means its a science ship, for research
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-22-2013, 09:32 AM
not read all replies but that ship was a concept for the game by the company that started STO before cryptic
Republic Veteran
# 19
07-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonhellsting View Post
Woah, is that a Romulan Timeship?
Career Officer
# 20
07-22-2013, 12:38 PM
The one on the right reminds me of the USS Vengeance from Into Darkness. Rommie time-ship looks like a striped our D'deredex
Join date: April 2010 ; Lifetime Sub since April 2010. Actual 1000 day vet.

Proud Member of: Fubar Inc.