Ensign
# 1 Weapon power draining
07-22-2013, 11:47 PM
it is known that higher weapon power = more damage, but what about after the draining occurs? if i have my ship weapon on 125 with 8 beams, after firing once it drains to 125 - 70 = 55. but suppose if i add a equipment or something that gives me an additional 10 weapon power, the initial level should still be 125 but maybe after draining it would be 55 + 10 = 65?

i think i noticed this happening with emergency power to weapons but not sure if the effect is real on damage.

so if after all the console/skill adding additional power that i can reach 125 with only 90 or 95 on the initial base setting, should i up that to 100 at all times?
Captain
# 2
07-23-2013, 12:00 AM
You do notice something akin to this going on. It is actually a bit more complicated than what it appears. Your weapon power tops out at 125 as far as modifiers are concerned, but you can actually exceed this amount a bit. Exceeding this amount by adding in EP2W, a Weapon Battery, Energy Siphon, EPS Power Transfer, etc you can actually maintain high power levels even when firing. Nadion Inversion is also a nice option to limit drain, if you are an Engineering captain.

How much you plunk into weapons is a matter of role and preference. I can tell you, though, that more weapon power increases how fast things die, unless you are holding steady at 125 while firing anyway... or didn't put any skill points into Energy Weapons and Energy Weapon Specialization.

Judging by the 8 beams, I'm guessing you planted a good amount of skill points in those skills, though. However, you may have more beams than you actually benefit from; there was another gameplay thread awhile back about someone testing the firing cycles of 6 vs 8 beams... I'll post it here if I can find it for you.

Last edited by breadandcircuses; 07-23-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Captain
# 3
07-23-2013, 12:02 AM
135 is the hidden hard cap, staying here yeilds the best results as you dont dip as low as being at 125. There is nothing to gain above 135.

if you are not poping weapon batteries and eptw non stop, id suggest cutting a beam or 2 for a torp. you will notice better damage
Ensign
# 4
07-23-2013, 12:17 AM
i plant on using a macro cycle of EPtW I and III, since when fully upgraded to 10 ranks, their cool down overlap and in macro i can get the bonus at all times

i do this with EPtS I and III but i think my defensive capability is a bit overkill while DPS is too low
Captain
# 5
07-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
135 is the hidden hard cap, staying here yeilds the best results as you dont dip as low as being at 125. There is nothing to gain above 135.

if you are not poping weapon batteries and eptw non stop, id suggest cutting a beam or 2 for a torp. you will notice better damage
As far as I know, the cap of 135 no longer exists. But since weapons power overcapping has changed several times, it is possible that a recent patch has restored the cap of 135. Do you have data that shows this has changed recently?
Captain
# 6
07-23-2013, 12:53 AM
Grab a plasmonic leech from the exchange, and add a warp core that puts 7.5% power from anything to weapons. Then aux2bat and eptw you will have plenty of weapon power. You would also be better off running 7 beams and either mines or a torp until you can get the kinetic cutting beam and even then sometimes mines or a torp is usefull.

Once you have aux2bat and eptw grab 3 technician doff's that reduce skill cooldown, purple doffs and you can keep aux2bat and eptw going constant but they cost 12 million ec+ and blue are around 3 million, so do like i did and use 3 green until you can afford better.

Other things to add for more weapon power is Assimilated module, Zero point energy conduit, Jem'Hadar engine, and if KDF the Honor guard engine.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Universal_C...lasmonic_Leech
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Omega_Adapt...milated_Module
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Romulan_Sin...Energy_Conduit
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Jem%27Hadar...mpulse_Engines
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Honor_Guard...mpulse_Engines
Commander
# 7
07-23-2013, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
135 is the hidden hard cap
Disengage safety protocols!!!! << cool new feature for STO (Klingon only)

but srsly this sucks no wonder my weapons power still has drain when i'm running naturally aspirated 125 power to weapons without having even hit emergency power to weapons or aux to battery... EPS flow regulators and EPS transfer should AT LEAST keep the power UP at 125 considering they're the power transfer abilities that brings the supply of energy TO the weapons FROM the warp core.
Lyndon Brewer: 20% chance to capture enemy ship for 60 seconds on successful use of boarding party.

cause sometimes its party time!
Captain
# 8
07-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lykum View Post
Disengage safety protocols!!!! << cool new feature for STO (Klingon only)

but srsly this sucks no wonder my weapons power still has drain when i'm running naturally aspirated 125 power to weapons without having even hit emergency power to weapons or aux to battery... EPS flow regulators and EPS transfer should AT LEAST keep the power UP at 125 considering they're the power transfer abilities that brings the supply of energy TO the weapons FROM the warp core.
natuaraly aspirated? the warp core has a carbeurator? lol j/k

"Disengage safety protocols" sounds like an excelent new skill but one that can backfire with serious system damage if using. maybe a new injury that actualy weakens the ship until its repaired or a temporary injury that gives a damage resist and weapon power debuff from hell that lasts until the skill cooldown is done. Skill could be a 15% increase in damage resist and damage dealt for 15 seconds, 2 minute cooldown and a 50% chance of system failure resulting in 15% damage resist and dealt debuff. Available as a universal commander boff skill. Alpha strikes could be alpha "oh crap" or "Ooh Yeah"...
Captain
# 9
07-23-2013, 02:11 AM
You can also use plasma, and the experimental plasma beam, which doesn't use any weapon power (IE free weapon). That would make 8beams that use as much power as 7, not counting the extra damage bonus you can have from the plasma set (add the console and maybe the torp), and the one from the embassy console.
Then you can switch another beam array for the cutting beam (same as above, add the console for extra cookies), which does kinetic damage (you don't have any so far) and use as much weapon power than a turret. However, the cutting beam isn't affected by FAW, or any beam related skill/console.

Then, I suggest you use a plasmonic leech console (exchange if Fed, Cstore ship if KDF). And an aux2bat build would do wonder on your cruiser. Even if you can't afford marion and purple technicians doff, you will still enjoy a lot of power and less CD on skills, if you use 3 blue/green technicians.

I think it's easier to have 135+weapon power using aux2bat (except on sci ship) than using EPtW, considering the emergency share a CD with the incredibly powerful EPtS. Not to mention the extra power in shield and engine.
Captain
# 10
07-23-2013, 02:30 AM
Plasma is good alternative like erei1 says when you use the experimental beam, add a Kinetic cutting beam and have 6 plasma beams draining power and 2 extra beams not draining with a plasmonic leach you should stay about 125 to 110 weapon power during combat once the leech starts working. Same setup but add a torpedo like the rep plasma and have 5 beams draining power and you should have 125 to 120 easy without EPW or aux2bat. add in the consoles i listed above and never worry about power.

I can say this with the leech and 6 polaron beams, wide angle torp, and KCB my power level stays around 125-110 with the leech during combat but thats not the only thing, my shield power sits at 107 and the other 2 are higher than set for as well. So all that extra power helps in more ways than just weapons. better surveiveability and stronger weapons. Win win situation!