Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Commander
The Romulans just have some many different ideals from the Vulcans. The Romulans are like the ancient Vulcans very Passionate, everything modern Vulcans rejected and now they are even genetically and biologically different from the Vulcans. Why would they want to unite?
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
08-15-2013, 05:40 AM
Because they still share their pointy ears and green blood?
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Captain
# 3
08-15-2013, 05:48 AM
The Roms split from the Vulcans in the 4th Century, so they've only been segregated from each other for about 2,100 years in this timeline. 2,000 years might seem like a lot of time to people but on the genetic scale it's quite minor.

It's the social differences - such as the differences between someone who grew up in China versus someone in the US - rather then the genetic differences that separate Roms and Vulcans. It was the social differences that Spock was trying to re-acquaint the Roms with.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Commander
# 4
08-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Impression I always got was that the Romulans were the group who fled the planet in horror at what the rest of their species were trying to turn themselves into (and you can kind of feel for them), and spent the next 900 years aiming above all Not To Be Like That... so I agree, it seems odd that any of the Romulans would want a reunion (or the Vulcans either - after all, THEIR point of view is that it's behaving like Romulans that almost finished off their planet). Maybe it's just that they'll take up with anyone sooner than go back to the Tal Shiar.
Commander
# 5
08-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Quote:
The Roms split from the Vulcans in the 4th Century, so they've only been segregated from each other for about 2,100 years in this timeline. 2,000 years might seem like a lot of time to people but on the genetic scale it's quite minor.

It's the social differences - such as the differences between someone who grew up in China versus someone in the US - rather then the genetic differences that separate Roms and Vulcans. It was the social differences that Spock was trying to re-acquaint the Roms with
My question is how they developed that cranial V if there are only minor differences.
Captain
# 6
08-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captclazorus View Post

My question is how they developed that cranial V if there are only minor differences.
Perhaps the V Vulcans are the ones who had the biggest disagreement with Surak. Don't know. Heck, we learn in Enterprise that the Mind Meld wasn't as common as we were led to believe in TOS. We never even knew there was such a thing as a black Vulcan until Tuvok showed up.

Species diversity could be just as common on Vulcan as it is on Earth.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 7
08-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Perhaps the V Vulcans are the ones who had the biggest disagreement with Surak. Don't know. Heck, we learn in Enterprise that the Mind Meld wasn't as common as we were led to believe in TOS. We never even knew there was such a thing as a black Vulcan until Tuvok showed up.

plus we learned in Diane Duane's non-canonical writings that the nictitating membrane was not universal to the species at first and allowed one tribe an advantage to dominate the others. So we've at least one example where a trait began with a smaller population and eventually dominated.

It might even be explained to be a fashionable cosmetic surgery modification introduced into the Romulan society. We've a real life example with the South Korean women whom I've read are culturally so obsessed with adding an eyelid fold via cosmetic surgery, that it "has become as common as going to the dentist".

Frankly, I'd like to see a series at some point show Romulans with the forehead ridge and ones without, and let the in-show explanation be that it is a dominant but not universal trait, like hair color or big ears or such. Allows for both styles of Romulans from all the old series.

Back to the OP question...I think a common fallacy with Star Trek is to consider a species as moving and acting as one. Like humans, there will be a lot of viewpoints and variations. So yes, I think there could be a rejoining, but from a subset of the full Romulan population. Not the whole.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Oddly enough, I've always felt the Vulcans are the biggest barrier to reunification.
Captain
# 9
08-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwright View Post
Back to the OP question...I think a common fallacy with Star Trek is to consider a species as moving and acting as one. Like humans, there will be a lot of viewpoints and variations. So yes, I think there could be a rejoining, but from a subset of the full Romulan population. Not the whole.
Cue D'Tan and the New Romulans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
The Forgotten Battle - a new Foundry mission
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Commander
# 10
08-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Maybe Vulcan genetics in new environments is able to evolve faster?