Starfleet Veteran
# 171
08-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
My submission for this LC is a tie-in to The Road; basically it's the butcher's bill for the USS Tiburon.

If you haven't already read The Road to Ruin it would be a good idea to at least skim it up through the last chapter to see what's going on in my world before reading this LC entry.

Anyway, please enjoy: Where all Roads Meet

Report prepared by LCdr. Dr. Maria Espinoza (Adriana Barraza)
Amended by Franklin Drake (Casper Van Dien)
Amendment witnessed by Rudyard.
Very interesting.

So Rusty is currently in stasis, while research is done on a way to heal him... did you get that idea from my suggestion, by any chance?

And of course, Drake is doing what needs to be done to ensure the smoothest possible reactions. I do like the twist you put on him, to be honest.

And I knew Zain had a crush on Jesu from Chapter one of Road to Ruin, but seeing how far it's progressed is interesting.

I look forward to seeing the Epilogue for Road to Ruin.
Originally KiraYamato before the Account Linking - True Join Date August 2008

"In the game of war, there are no clear rules you can follow." - Andrew Waltfeld
Captain
# 172
08-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Well played good sir.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Captain
# 173
08-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi6 View Post
Just finished a new entry for LC 40, this time going to LC #7 for my material.

It introduces another of my Alts, an Academy Field Instructor who always teaches fourth-year cadets, and always does so onboard her ship as it goes about its regular duties.

Please take a look, and tell me what you think.
Nice entry Something I'd always read, was that a cadet's third year was their midshipman cruise, rather than fourth year, and the time when most cadets who are going to blow out have their meltdowns, but having that as a kind of 'extended cruise' for the cream of the crop certainly makes for a nice touch Initially, I was uncertain about the idea of a married couple running a ship, due to the potential for conflict of interests, but, given that it is a training ship, rather than a ship of the line, that would provide a consistency which would be ideal for a training environment
Captain
# 174
08-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
My submission for this LC is a tie-in to The Road; basically it's the butcher's bill for the USS Tiburon.

If you haven't already read The Road to Ruin it would be a good idea to at least skim it up through the last chapter to see what's going on in my world before reading this LC entry.

Anyway, please enjoy: Where all Roads Meet

Report prepared by LCdr. Dr. Maria Espinoza (Adriana Barraza)
Amended by Franklin Drake (Casper Van Dien)
Amendment witnessed by Rudyard.
Very nicely done Is there going to be another installment of the Road, or is this coda the wrap? A few crew members caught my eye, which I'd hope to see more of in the future:

Lieutenant Enfanfar definitely sounds worth future investigation, and I hope Crewman Hemmingway is located, she sounds nice...

Equally, with regards Rusty, as mentioned, S'rR's's DNA could possibly be used to synthesise a treatment to boost Rusty's immune system to counteract the venom (being part-Human, she doesn't bleed acid like H'mL'n or I'sH'd, but has kidneys instead) if you wanted to go down that route I like the idea of Jesu on suicide watch, and Miss Zain having to undergo counselling for her crush
Starfleet Veteran
# 175
08-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Nice entry Something I'd always read, was that a cadet's third year was their midshipman cruise, rather than fourth year, and the time when most cadets who are going to blow out have their meltdowns, but having that as a kind of 'extended cruise' for the cream of the crop certainly makes for a nice touch :-) Initially, I was uncertain about the idea of a married couple running a ship, due to the potential for conflict of interests, but, given that it is a training ship, rather than a ship of the line, that would provide a consistency which would be ideal for a training environment
Oh, it's more than a Training Ship. The Wolfram is part Training Ship, part Experimental Testbed for anything that comes out of R&D. And as a Multi-Mission Reconnaissance Explorer, they do just about any mission asked of them, from System Surveys to Fleet Support. And the Cadets are supposed to actively help, in addition to their training, which is part of why Nanoha has a reputation as being a 'Devil Instructor'.

As to a Married Couple (Married Lesbian Couple, in fact) running the ship, they have different specialties. Nanoha, while in overall command, is the Drill Sergeant Nasty, though she can be rather friendly, even while training you into the dirt. When not in combat, she prefers supervising the training, leaving Fate in charge on the Bridge.

Fate, meanwhile, is somewhat more gentle, and could be seen as the mother figure for the Cadets. She helps reign Nanoha in, keep her from going too overboard in training the recruits.

Of course, in battle, Nanoha re-takes command of the ship, and proves herself to be a student of the school of 'Overkill is Underrated', which is why her enemies also tend to call her 'devil'.

She's a Quantum Mechanical Import from the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Franchise--specifically, at or around the time of the Manga-only Fifth Season, Magical Chronicle Lyrical Nanoha Force. She has the same name, physical appearance, and personality as her counterpart in Force, but this version of Nanoha is completely native to Star Trek, with no special abilities from the MGLN Franchise.

"In the game of war, there are no clear rules you can follow." - Andrew Waltfeld
Captain
# 176
08-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Oh, it's more than a Training Ship. The Wolfram is part Training Ship, part Experimental Testbed for anything that comes out of R&D. And as a Multi-Mission Reconnaissance Explorer, they do just about any mission asked of them, from System Surveys to Fleet Support. And the Cadets are supposed to actively help, in addition to their training, which is part of why Nanoha has a reputation as being a 'Devil Instructor'.

As to a Married Couple (Married Lesbian Couple, in fact) running the ship, they have different specialties. Nanoha, while in overall command, is the Drill Sergeant Nasty, though she can be rather friendly, even while training you into the dirt. When not in combat, she prefers supervising the training, leaving Fate in charge on the Bridge.

Fate, meanwhile, is somewhat more gentle, and could be seen as the mother figure for the Cadets. She helps reign Nanoha in, keep her from going too overboard in training the recruits.

Of course, in battle, Nanoha re-takes command of the ship, and proves herself to be a student of the school of 'Overkill is Underrated', which is why her enemies also tend to call her 'devil'.

She's a Quantum Mechanical Import from the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Franchise--specifically, at or around the time of the Manga-only Fifth Season, Magical Chronicle Lyrical Nanoha Force. She has the same name, physical appearance, and personality as her counterpart in Force, but this version of Nanoha is completely native to Star Trek, with no special abilities from the MGLN Franchise.
Ahh, that makes a bit more sense, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing more of them in action

A novel I enjoyed years ago, was Star Rebel by FM Busby, which focussed on a cadet going through a brutal space academy nicknamed 'The Slaughterhouse' by it's attendees. Cadets on a training cruise would routinely face naked 'airlock drills', where someone would get spaced each time... For some infractions at the academy, one would have to 'run the gauntlet' of cadets on each side, who would use their belts to flog the cadet as they run between the middle. That's where I borrowed and developed the character of Channery from... Busby's Channery was an Upperclassman who would r@pe new recruits for the lols, and when one cadet had to run the gauntlet, he deliberately hit them in the face with the buckle end of his belt He eventually gets caught raping a cadet, and gets expelled from the academy to be 'welfared'. I always wondered how he would have fit in (albeit toned down) into the Trekverse, so put my own spin to the name

Last edited by marcusdkane; 08-04-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Career Officer
# 177
08-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Very interesting.

So Rusty is currently in stasis, while research is done on a way to heal him... did you get that idea from my suggestion, by any chance?
The stasis field is on old sci-fi cop-out to preserve people who are on the brink of death. So I had the idea all along, but your suggestion is what made me decide to go ahead and take Rusty all the way to the brink at the end of the last chapter, with his fate being the final piece of suspense.

Quote:
And of course, Drake is doing what needs to be done to ensure the smoothest possible reactions. I do like the twist you put on him, to be honest.
Thanks. I think it's too easy to cast him as a simple villain. I see him playing more of the role of "The Operative" in Serenity: "I believe in something greater than myself: a better world... I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... I'm a monster. What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

Quote:
And I knew Zain had a crush on Jesu from Chapter one of Road to Ruin, but seeing how far it's progressed is interesting.
I think it's always been there, we're all just becoming more aware of it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
Well played good sir.
Thank you! :tiphat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Very nicely done.Is there going to be another installment of the Road, or is this coda the wrap?
This is more of an aside than a part of the overall narrative. There is definitely still an epilogue to come, and I think now one more chapter, to resolve the Rusty and Eighty-Six arcs. (patrickngo sent me a very interesting bit of the story that happened to match an idea that had been knocking around my head for a while.) Between these two characters I have too much material left over to package into a tidy epilogue.

So... yeah, look for Part X in a week or so, and the epilogue a week after that.

Quote:
A few crew members caught my eye, which I'd hope to see more of in the future:

Lieutenant Enfanfar definitely sounds worth future investigation, and I hope Crewman Hemmingway is located, she sounds nice...
Omid Enfanfar made an appearance in LC #41 as the Tib's third "ops guy" (after Fozz and Barrister, who were both off the ship) and since I didn't have anything for him to be doing this time around, I decided to spice him up a little for later. You never know when an LC will call for a Simon Tarses sort of character.

[edit] By the way, what did you think of H'mL'n's blurb? [/edit]

Quote:
Equally, with regards Rusty, as mentioned, S'rR's's DNA could possibly be used to synthesise a treatment to boost Rusty's immune system to counteract the venom (being part-Human, she doesn't bleed acid like H'mL'n or I'sH'd, but has kidneys instead) if you wanted to go down that route
That actually raises a fairly sticky point I'd like to talk to you about. Check your PMs in a few minutes...

Quote:
I like the idea of Jesu on suicide watch, and Miss Zain having to undergo counselling for her crush
Even more reason to write a Part X...

@patrickngo - don't worry, it'll be totally internal to my end of the metastory. All of your "hooks" for The Chase and whatever else you have planned should be all set with the last chapter.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics

Last edited by sander233; 08-04-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Captain
# 178
08-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
"Maxim 37: There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."

- from The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

(Shelana's a big proponent of Maxim 37, as well. )
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Starfleet Veteran
# 179
08-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
"Maxim 37: There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."

- from The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

(Shelana's a big proponent of Maxim 37, as well. )
From TV Tropes: There Is No Kill Like Overkill.

Career Officer
# 180
08-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Just finished a new entry for LC 40, this time going to LC #7 for my material.

It introduces another of my Alts, an Academy Field Instructor who always teaches fourth-year cadets, and always does so onboard her ship as it goes about its regular duties.

Please take a look, and tell me what you think.
Me likey.

I've been thinking about how Rusty would've gotten in on in the twenty-or-so years between Jesu leaving for the Academy and the two of them getting assigned to the same ship. If it's alright with you, I think I'll whip up a short story putting Rusty on the Wolfram at the end of his time at the Academy. Assuming of course that the Wolfram would have been active in 2390.

I won't even start on this until after The Road ends, and I have a lot of other projects I want to get done, but I'd like to keep this in my back pocket as a concept to revisit in a later LC.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics