Captain
# 241
08-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Berat's beliefs on the matter are informed by two main things. First, IMHO postwar Cardassia might be forced to re-evaluate that after the Dominion's attempted genocide. While Cardassia wasn't hit as badly as, say, Romulus, I imagine that genocide order was repeated on Cardassia's other worlds and colonies, and the damage done before the order to stand down was given would've been tragic. That might make some Cardassians feel that all survivors are valuable.

For Berat personally, it is also a matter of how his beliefs are shaped by the tragedy his family suffered. They didn't even spare the children when his family was executed. His nieces and nephews were murdered too. Even if there was an infant, he or she would've been killed too. Every child's life is doubly precious to him now because of that.
That definitely makes sense I think it's a shame that he and Meliden would misunderstand each other so much, as if anyone might have the connections to look into her biological family, it would be someone like Berat...

Quote:
His shame wasn't always with him in the same way. When he was younger, before the revelation of what his species was like as a whole, he took himself solely on his own strengths and weaknesses. He felt shame at taking a life as an infant--but I think he considered it a personal sin rather than what he now feels: that his entire species is pretty much morally bankrupt. He won't say they're all going to hell...but privately he suspects almost all of them will, for what they have done.

Even Berat doesn't experience shame and contempt to the degree Alyosha does. For Alyosha versus his own people, the feelings are outright, mutual hatred. His thoughts are pretty much, You didn't listen when I told you there was another way to live. I told you twice. You had the chance and you refused. Now DIE. He wouldn't go hunting Devidians to kill--he wouldn't take an unsanctioned trip to Pentaxia for that purpose, for instance, as he would not wish to stoop to the level of those who engage in such activities there. But if he sees another member of his species, it would take some doing to get him to try talking again. His first impulse will be to shoot them dead on the spot. (AND of course, if they're where he is, that almost certainly means members of his family, his crew, or his friends are nearby, and the proximity of another Devidian to those he cares about will NOT be tolerated.)

And of course the other Devidians probably see him as a sick perversion of nature--a predator who has taken on the mind and (lower) life of prey.
It definitely makes sense that he would feel that way, especially before he knew what he truly was. I hope he won't encounter any Devidians in the future :-\

Quote:
While I think that in the STO universe the Cardassian Defense Forces are now at least monitored by, if not managed by Starfleet (making it not that much of an independent body anymore), Berat felt differently about his "gulship" in the CDF than in the Guard. He was conflicted about it sometimes in the Guard because of what other guls around him did. In the CDF I think he feels his status is worthier and more meaningful than it was in the pre-treaty Guard.

I can understand why Marcus would not feel that it made any difference, after his experiences.
I think it was simply a case of him having enough repeated experiences of similar behaviour from Cardassians, to be able to overlook them as aberrations of a culture (when of course, Cardassian culture is a total aberration of the Hebitian culture, who would never have behaved thusly toward others) but indeed, I think he would have had no doubts as to Berat's good character

Quote:
Given the close control or monitoring of Cardassia post-war in the STO universe, I wonder if maybe Turan fabricated evidence of more recent "crimes" and somehow convinced the authorities to accept it? (Perhaps with the help of True Way operatives.)

Just an idea...it could have happened many other ways.
I don't think Gul Turan fabricated evidence against Marcus, but I think he definitely manipulated it, omitting certain facts about his father (his uncle was the third Cardassian who survived and fled the scene) and giving things a 'typically Cardassian' spin to get the authorities to see things his way...

Quote:
Yeah, I think they would have.

Oddly enough, though, I suspect that if each looked at the other's service record, they'd get a fairly good idea of what was going on with the other.
I think so too

I think you'll be skipping a fair bit of my upcoming entry, but I hope you'll enjoy the sections you do read
Captain
# 242
08-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Well, I've stuck another one up.

This is from my Rom's side... and keeps up the tradition I've already established, of not letting the reader know what's going on in her head.

One problem, I find, writing for the Romulans, is the bridge officers.... OK, Fed bridge officers aren't unique either, but everyone who's played a Romulan has a Tovan Khev, and very likely one or more of Satra, Veril and Hiven too. So, I find it a problem to write them into the story - because I keep envisaging a point where one of them says or does something, and the reader says "But (e.g.) Tovan wouldn't do that!", because their vision of the character differs from mine. This is the sort of thing which breaks the reader's engagement with the story, which is Not On in my book.

The solution I've chosen is to acknowledge that these guys are around, but to write from the POV of another, less "canonical" character, whom I can make properly my own. (In the unlikely event that anyone's remotely interested: yes, this guy has appeared before, as "unnamed careworn tactical officer piloting the shuttle" in LC 46. Poor guy's got a lot to be careworn about...)
Captain
# 243
08-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmudd View Post
For what it's worth, I've heard a similar explanation offered for Spock's behavior in "The Cage" (when Nimoy was still nailing down the character) - grinning at the singing plants, shouting "THE WOMEN!", etc etc. This would have been when he was a very young officer aboard Pike's Enterprise, roughly where we're seeing him in the new movies, still estranged from his father and his planet. Later, he would slip back into more traditionally Vulcan behavior (including smug superiority) to define and defend himself against the playful jibes of his very human shipmates Kirk and McCoy. He would end up going so far in this direction as to seek Kolinahr, before finally finding balance ("I feel fine") after the life-changing experiences of (1) meeting V'Ger, and (2) dying.
Absolutely so, but don't forget, Spock was half-Human, and that would have had definite impacts on his behaviour (ie he failed to achieve kolinahr because his Human aspects reacted emotionally to V'Ger, in a way his Vulcan training could not control) Tuvok and Vorik, on the other hand, showed what I consider to be 'a more accurate' representation of Vulcan behaviour, as both were full-blood Vulcans...
Captain
# 244
08-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Excellently written, as always, shevet. As for the problem of bridge officer names, Khev is the only one you can't rename in-game, and of course in-story they can have any names you like. Sometimes I regret having used "Tovan Khev" as the name for Nniol's closest companion in the tales I've written about him - I can't just shunt Tovan away in-story, because it wouldn't fit the characters.

I might have to kill him or something...
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
# 245
08-08-2013, 05:12 PM
This entry deals with Adult Scenarios. if you feel you would be offended by reading such things, pease do not click the link... This entry is meant as a direct continuation of LC46, with an immediate continuation of continuity. I have scattered eight film and TV references throughout this entry... Three are pretty obvious, the others are more subtle... Kudos to anyone identifying them

For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

Amanda Palmer - Courteney Cox
Renata Weyland - Marin Hinkle
Louis - Tom Welling
Claire - Lacey Chabert
Todd Mitchell - Thomas Dekker
Jack Harkness - John Barrowman
T'Reya - Emily Ratajkowski

The entry is timed to be read with Midnight City by M83

Last edited by marcusdkane; 08-10-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 246
08-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Got a second one up. I wanted to introduce a new character to the scene, and I had this planned out already, so it was a perfect opportunity when this was extended.

Any spellings or errors, please point them out.

For alittle background on the story...

A new person stepped into the universe, with unimaginable powers equivalent to a young Q; this being's powers have messed with the proper time continuum as he darkly murder's the people responsible for killing off his proper timeline. Let's just say it messes with my characters timelines a lot.
Example: Ace never makes it to Virinat...
Career Officer
# 247
08-08-2013, 10:06 PM
I've started work on my second entry for this contest. I'm really going to try and channel Roddenberrry on this one. I've got a good concept, now I just need to execute.
Vice Admiral Aznia Deet, Federation Ambassador, U.S.S. Federalist
Commander
# 248
08-09-2013, 03:29 AM
Working on my next entry. Don't quite know how this is going to turn out, but should be fun to find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post

@malkarris - I am a HUGE fan of Yamato, both anime and real battleship (my Military History research paper focused on the grand ship's demise ). So, I cannot claim credit to this 'trick' from my own imagination, except to convert it into Star Trek-ese. You have to admit, it *is* a pretty neat trick.

Hehe....love that series too. One Yamato series I wish I could get here in the States was Yamato 2520. Yes, I know I'm one of those odd Yamato fans who liked that, but I thought the characters and artwork were above and beyond, and that all I could see was what was on YouTube seems unjust.
"I am your leader, I am in command. The fate of all my followers lies in my hands. The burden of what is right or wrong, decisions have to be made. I have to take you all into this burning Gate." - Iron Savior, 'Never Say Die'.
Commander
# 249
08-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by masopw View Post
@ambassadormolari: (B5 @20 is worth the purchase price if you're the fan I think you may be...) Love the playful insults between the officers. Great descriptors...I swore I was gonna hear, "Bonnie-kin, Bonnie-kin" in the dark hallways. (One suggestion for wording...launch of away teams? Ok if they're going down in shuttles/gigs, but if they're beaming back and forth I'd prefer the term 'deployment' or anything else that doesn't imply a small craft departure.) Chilling...but it felt like the crew kind of gave up on their shipmate too easily.
Yeah, I'll admit, I think my biggest failing in that LC was the ending. I was running out of time, and so rushed through it instead of giving it the more thorough treatment it deserved. That's why Tabren was abandoned with little more explanation than "they'lll get us too." I think, if anything, it's Sann's explanation at the end that would need the most rewriting.

Otherwise, glad that I managed to capture the overall creepy atmosphere of the Blackstone (and I usually SUCK at writing horror). Glad you liked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmudd View Post
@ambassadormolari: That was wonderfully spooky. Along with all the other references cited, I found myself thinking of the mysterious fate of the Androsynth (from Star Control)... Amazing atmosphere, and Brax demonstrating the difference between being afraid and being useless. (Fear can be good as well as bad. It can make us act stupidly, or keep us from doing so.)
I've never actually seen Star Control, though I may have to give it a watch now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidanetribal View Post

@ambassadormolari: Creepy doors are creepy. The story was captivating to the end.
Grateful user is grateful. Glad you enjoyed it!

I'm still reading through some of these other entries, so bear with me. For what it's worth:

marcusdkane: Well, there are certainly more awkward ways to meet new bridge officers. Otherwise, very well-written...um...scene. I didn't clue in that that was supposed to be Jack Harkness until you did the cast list. And above all else, hooray for Adult Situations(TM)!

shevet: The first encounter with Ruby actually did give me a bit of a jump. Thoroughly well-written from start to finish (especially for the brief scene from the Tal Shiar perspective).

hfmudd: A nice short piece that was, in my opinion, a little more realistic. I like it when stories deal with downer endings, and the main characters become aware that even their best sometimes isn't enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevet
Well, I've stuck another one up.

This is from my Rom's side... and keeps up the tradition I've already established, of not letting the reader know what's going on in her head.

One problem, I find, writing for the Romulans, is the bridge officers.... OK, Fed bridge officers aren't unique either, but everyone who's played a Romulan has a Tovan Khev, and very likely one or more of Satra, Veril and Hiven too. So, I find it a problem to write them into the story - because I keep envisaging a point where one of them says or does something, and the reader says "But (e.g.) Tovan wouldn't do that!", because their vision of the character differs from mine. This is the sort of thing which breaks the reader's engagement with the story, which is Not On in my book.

The solution I've chosen is to acknowledge that these guys are around, but to write from the POV of another, less "canonical" character, whom I can make properly my own. (In the unlikely event that anyone's remotely interested: yes, this guy has appeared before, as "unnamed careworn tactical officer piloting the shuttle" in LC 46. Poor guy's got a lot to be careworn about...)
That's one way of handling it. I, personally, find it annoying that you HAVE to take pre-named characters in game, and like you, find it annoying that there's half a million clones of these characters in every Romulan crew. I, however, refuse to even acknowledge these characters except by external reference. Instead, my own Romulan crew for the LC's are just renamed versions of the LoR BOFFs (Veril = Ziala, Tovan Khev = Taliv, Hiven = Jarok, etc). This, I find, allows me to attach personalities and characteristics to them that wouldn't jar with other people's versions of the same characters-- Taliv, for instance, doesn't have a missing sister like Tovan, or the emotional mess that ensues as a result.
Captain
# 250
08-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I must be one of the few who doesn't mind Tovan. But then you could say that I look to the kind of concept seen in Schrodi's story where there are many different versions of the character, some similar, some different. While he has only made a cameo appearance thus far in my stories, I immediately distinguished my Tovan from others in-game and out by significantly altering his physical appearance. The changes are significant enough to probably send other readers a message that this isn't their Tovan.

What's interesting is that the altered physical appearance and sense of style went part and parcel with determining his personality and motivations. I styled him as an unconventional man who would probably be labeled "metrosexual" IRL. He doesn't care what people think of him and while Romulans aren't as strict and conformist as Vulcans, he has deliberately made himself stick out. That fit with someone willing to cross racial boundaries and become friends with and serve under a Reman female, despite the nasty looks, comments and innuendo he sometimes has to deal with from bigots.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com