Ensign
# 1 The Borg how to defeat them.
07-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Like the title says how do you defeat a borg ship. I took my Hybrid Cruiser and went up against 2 borg sphere's and lost in less than 5 seconds. I fired at them once and my shields dropped to zero in the blink of the eye and they hit me with what i suspect was a cutting beam and my ship was cut apart in 5 seconds. 400 souls lost in less than a minute a worst casualty rate than Wolf 359, no that's exaggerating. But i would like some tips on how to combat the borg if there is no one else on in the area.
Career Officer
# 2
07-23-2013, 11:09 PM
You need to equip your Bridge Crew with the skills to counter the Borg attack abilities...
  • Polarize Hull or Attack Pattern Omega to counter the Borg Tractor Beam
  • Hazard Emitters to counter the Borg Shield Drain Attack
  • Engineering Team, EMP to Shields and Transfer Shield Strength to recover from the Borg attack
Captain
# 3
07-23-2013, 11:10 PM
It's difficult to tell you exactly what to do, since there are many things that you might be doing wrong. Defeating a Borg ship simply requires a good setup.

It would be quicker for you to tell us what your current setup is (gear and BoFF ability layout) and we give you advice on changing that.

P.S. What is a Hybrid Cruiser? Do you mean the Tal Shiar Adapted Battle Cruiser?
Take it easy!

Ishmael@scurry5: A Nibbling Sci
"Squeak?"
Captain
# 4
07-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Are you going against Borg of an higher level by any chance?

The only instances in which I have seen such a fast kill were in red alerts as a borg fleet quickly drains your shields and then BOOM.
Ensign
# 5
07-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurry5 View Post
It's difficult to tell you exactly what to do, since there are many things that you might be doing wrong. Defeating a Borg ship simply requires a good setup.

It would be quicker for you to tell us what your current setup is (gear and BoFF ability layout) and we give you advice on changing that.

P.S. What is a Hybrid Cruiser? Do you mean the Tal Shiar Adapted Battle Cruiser?
to answer your question a hybrid cruiser for me is standard Federation cruiser but with different parts, a mix of ship parts. I think i may be using the wrong term for that, my ship is kitbashed to suit my cosmetic needs. Reguarding setup

i have the following to attack the borg

Rotate Shield Frequency
Evasive Maneuvers
Stealth Approach
All power to engines
High Yield Torpedo's
Engineering Team

Phaser Array MkIII 2 of which
Plasma Torpedo Launcher
Quantum Torpedo Launcher

i think this would be enough and the borg ships i attack are lower in level, i never go up against a cube i just go a probe or sphere that have 1 or 2 gold clips, but then there's that occasional cube that follows me.

When i attack i go full impulse with stealth mode and slow down to half impulse at 10.5km i then target the sphere or the nearest one if there is a group of spheres or probes. I then pull a dip maneuver in which a make a cirlce around the cube dipping in and out attempting to fire several torpedo's. Then most of the time on my 3rd turn (coming around again) my shields just drop to zero, i get them up to about 30% rotate the frequency and as soon as i do they get me in a tractor beam i rotate again and i slip free but a thin blue beam strikes my ship and the hull goes down to 50% losing over 3/4th of my crew. I put all power to the engines and evasive maneuvers but they strike me again with the blue beam which i suspect is a cutting beam and my ship is destroyed before i can get underway to leave.
Captain
# 6
07-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Wait, wait...mk III?
With mk III you won't even reduce their shields!
Captain
# 7
07-24-2013, 12:26 AM
For starters all power to engines drains weapons and shields so either keep it balanced or do all to shields this will help you not to die as quick

But mark 3 is not the best I presume it's your rank currently that stops you getting higher if so try to get very rare or rare to boost damage
. . . . . . . . Insert witty content. . . . . .

Star Trek Online : Delta Rising - not the best but it's not that bad STOP with the pitch forks as they come out every season or update it's boring seeing it on every page, thread and all mediums out there. .
Captain
# 8
07-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andres6879 View Post
to answer your question a hybrid cruiser for me is standard Federation cruiser but with different parts, a mix of ship parts. I think i may be using the wrong term for that, my ship is kitbashed to suit my cosmetic needs. Reguarding setup

i have the following to attack the borg

Rotate Shield Frequency
Evasive Maneuvers
Stealth Approach
All power to engines
High Yield Torpedo's
Engineering Team

Phaser Array MkIII 2 of which
Plasma Torpedo Launcher
Quantum Torpedo Launcher

i think this would be enough and the borg ships i attack are lower in level, i never go up against a cube i just go a probe or sphere that have 1 or 2 gold clips, but then there's that occasional cube that follows me.

When i attack i go full impulse with stealth mode and slow down to half impulse at 10.5km i then target the sphere or the nearest one if there is a group of spheres or probes. I then pull a dip maneuver in which a make a cirlce around the cube dipping in and out attempting to fire several torpedo's. Then most of the time on my 3rd turn (coming around again) my shields just drop to zero, i get them up to about 30% rotate the frequency and as soon as i do they get me in a tractor beam i rotate again and i slip free but a thin blue beam strikes my ship and the hull goes down to 50% losing over 3/4th of my crew. I put all power to the engines and evasive maneuvers but they strike me again with the blue beam which i suspect is a cutting beam and my ship is destroyed before i can get underway to leave.
It sounds like you are a Lieutenant Commander character piloting the Federation Cruiser (looks don't matter, just the layout - http://sto.gamepedia.com/Cruiser_(Federation) ). By level, we're referring to the number that you see in the upper-left corner of the readout on the enemy. If it's a positive number, it means that the enemy outlevels you, in which case, you're not going to be able to do much.

It sounds like you're entering Borg Red Alerts. If, when you enter, it gives you a message like, "You are now fighting at Vice Admiral (50)", you will be severely underleveled, and there's practically nothing you can do.

If you're already of the correct level, then you can consider the following advice.

Borg cutting beams are red, and reduce hull over time. Thin blue beams are most likely Tachyon Beam, which drains shields. You sound like you are getting hit by Borg torpedoes, which will result in a sudden large health dip, followed by a smaller damage-over-time.

I don't know what you mean by Stealth Approach, unless you mean Mask Energy Signature. If that's what you're using, it's fairly useless. Use something like Hazard Emitters instead. You also need a shield heal. Try using Emergency Power to Shields in place of Engineering Team. Also, equalize your shields as much as possible. Do not let a shield facing fall.

Also, the point of Rotate Shield Frequency is the resistance it gives to damage, so try using it just before you engage. You may also want to come out of full impulse further away. Full impulse drains your power, and it takes time to regen, especially at lower levels. Most people also use the weapons power preset and get in close, maximising damage from energy weapons and aiming to kill him before he kills you. Beam damage falls off with range, so dipping in-and-out may actually be bad for you. With that, I suggest swapping out one of the torpedoes with a beam array, and broadside your target, turning slightly to fire the single torpedo on occasion.

Oh, and don't circle your target. Try to knock down a single shield facing and fire your torpedoes through that. You'll see a much greater effect.
Take it easy!

Ishmael@scurry5: A Nibbling Sci
"Squeak?"
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
07-24-2013, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andres6879 View Post
Like the title says how do you defeat a borg ship. I took my Hybrid Cruiser and went up against 2 borg sphere's and lost in less than 5 seconds. I fired at them once and my shields dropped to zero in the blink of the eye and they hit me with what i suspect was a cutting beam and my ship was cut apart in 5 seconds. 400 souls lost in less than a minute a worst casualty rate than Wolf 359, no that's exaggerating. But i would like some tips on how to combat the borg if there is no one else on in the area.
stack atleast two copies of hazzard emiters . that is all

only use them when ur hit with sheild killer, you now should be able to sleep through borg attacks if u use hazzard correctlys.
Captain
# 10
07-24-2013, 03:26 AM
Assuming you're referring to Borg Red Alerts, a simple fact of the matter is that you won't even make much of a dent in them unless you're in at LEAST a T3 ship with corresponding levels of equipment, and that's extremely optimistic. Myself, I rarely feel like I'm contributing in a meaningful way unless I have a T4, and you don't really blow big holes in them unless you're over level 40 with a T5 ship.

Long story short, level up and upgrade your equipment. Even with the automatic level-up the scenario gives you, you're still going to be severely underpowered. The biggest example of this is that you're apparently in a T2 cruiser. They have four weapon slots. A T5 has EIGHT.

Others have more detailed suggestions, so you should look through what they have to say. At least one copy of Hazard Emitters is almost a must for an inexperienced player (and most experienced players) due to their shield drainers, though, and tactical team or 'distribute shield power' will save your butt in terms of diverting shields where they need to go.