Republic Veteran
# 21
07-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by originpi View Post
Especially after a few of the arcs where the ship got refueled and was brimming with energy because of some plot device.
Why did they never harvest antimatter from suns?

http://www.space.com/21889-solar-fla...particles.html

"Solar flares were predicted to release some antimatter particles among the deluge of charged particles spat out during these eruptions. But this is the first time researchers have observed antimatter coming from the sun."
Captain
# 22
07-25-2013, 10:56 AM
It's been mentioned before, but it was the chief weakness of the show:

Continuity.

Part of the tension driving the show was supposed to be the fact that they were 70,000 light-years from the nearest starbase and resupply. Yet aside from an occasional half-joking mention of running low on coffee, or people using replicator credits like money, the whole concept got barely a mention.

Ronald Moore got his TV start writing for TNG; he turned in some excellent DS9 episodes as well. And he was a staff writer for VOY - until he started keeping track of things like how many quantum torpedoes they'd fired, and how many shuttlecraft they'd lost, and went to Berman&Braga with a story idea for an episode in which they'd have to actually deal with the shortages (and knowing Moore, he'd give them a way to explain the constant resupply so far from any supply lines). And the story was rejected, with the simple "explanation" that "this is Star Trek, we don't worry about that."

(That's part of why so many episodes of nBSG centered around supplies for the Fleet, too. Kind of a Take That to Berman&Braga.)

Ship's limping away from a fight, leaking warp plasma; next ep, ship's all shiny and new, with no mention of any downtime for repairs. Ship's low on food, even with the airponics bay running; next ep, there's a party going on, with all sorts of dainties readily available. Lost our seventh shuttlecraft? No big deal - we'll just stop by Honest Detabla's Previously Owned Spaceships, and pick up a few Starfleet-issue shuttles they just happen to have lying around. All offscreen, of course - "we don't worry about that here."

Come to think of it, a lot of the problems with VOY, and with ENT for that matter, could probably be summed up as "Rick Berman and Brannon Braga". Dudes had absolutely no feel for Star Trek.
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Career Officer
# 23
07-25-2013, 10:57 AM
There were only about two characters I could stand. Janeway as captain was implausible to say the least, and quite frankly killed the whole series.
Captain
# 24
07-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post

Come to think of it, a lot of the problems with VOY, and with ENT for that matter, could probably be summed up as "Rick Berman and Brannon Braga". Dudes had absolutely no feel for Star Trek.
Sadly, Cryptic does a good job in carrying on with that tradition.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Rihannsu
# 25
07-25-2013, 01:45 PM
I think a large chunk of the repairs can be rather easily explained. In many cases a matter of months passed between episodes.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Still doesn't come close to explaining things. The promotional materials all said Voyager was a short-range ship, not intended for even a five-year exploration mission, to say nothing of being isolated in distant sectors for years on end. One of the earliest episodes even had an exchange between Janeway and Chakotay, where he points out that they have 50 photon torpedoes, and she replies that they also have no way to replace them when they're gone.
Captain
# 27
07-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmodi View Post
Still doesn't come close to explaining things. The promotional materials all said Voyager was a short-range ship, not intended for even a five-year exploration mission, to say nothing of being isolated in distant sectors for years on end. One of the earliest episodes even had an exchange between Janeway and Chakotay, where he points out that they have 50 photon torpedoes, and she replies that they also have no way to replace them when they're gone.
The sad thing about it is, at one point Voyager had some modifications installed and at least some chances to be outfitted with alien weapon technology. (don't ask me about the episode, sry.)

I would have loved it if Riker would have been the Captain of the Voyager. It would have interconnected TNG and Voy in a unique way.
Additionally Voyager would have been a amazing opportunity for Captain "incapable" Riker to show his command "Skills", lol.
Btw, Riker command "Skills" would have been the perfect excuse for Voyager to end up stranded on the other side of the Galaxy.

Besides his incompetence, he is at least a much more charismatic person than Janeway.
Maybe Voyagers isolated situation would have made him a good captain in the end.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit

Last edited by yreodred; 07-25-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Captain
# 28
07-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Continuity, as was mentioned by others.

There's a laugh among my friends and me, because I accurately predicted a Trek space station series, and a Trek "lost in space" series a couple of years before they were announced. With Voyager, I said "they need to lose Enterprise (didn't know Voyager at the time) on the other side of the galaxy where it cannot go crying to Mama Federation after every fight. Then see how it weathers the return trip." As others have pointed out, the ship heals very nicely between episodes.

Two of the four episodes I hated the most from all the series were in Voyager.

There were some other things as well. Voyager, for the most part, is making a bee-line for home, yet enemies they left behind somehow pop up again? I'm willing to acknowledged on those occasions that it was told the audience that Voyager had recently been zig-zagging for supplies that a pursuing enemy could catch up, but the rest of the time, unless the enemy had been shown to have significantly better propulsion, it was just wrong.

There was also the matter of rank promotions. Tom went up, down, and up again in the ranks, as I recall, but Harry remained an ensign. I would have thought the first stable call to Admiral Paris would have requested promotions for all key personnel.

The Maquis merger was rarely addressed. I think they missed a prime storytelling opportunity there to show a hostile alliance gradually advance, and with bumps in the road, for at least four seasons. I would have expected a tension to return when Barkley made contact, creating the spector that the Maquis may have to answer for their actions. It would be the final doubt between the two factions, and of course, the resulting pardon would cement the relationship.

I did not like the removal of Kes and the insertion of Seven. Eventually, they let Jeri Ryan really act, (imitating the Doctor was a riot), but at first it felt like she was just the obvious eye candy. I actually really liked it when Seven was in Starfleet uniform for a bit.

Finally, there was a depth of character that felt largely lacking in the middle seasons. I understand they brought in some of the writing team from DS9 for the last seasons, and I began to see that depth in some of the episodes.

To be fair, Voyager did have some amazing things. The announcements that there was something non-humanoid that was killing Borg like fish in a barrel was mind-blowingly exciting, and the episode delivered. Death Wish was fascinating drama, with a great actor playing Quinn. The "Captain Proton" bits were inspired fun. Having a psychotic Bajoran serial killer onboard, and having him fight through his mania to save the ship was cool storytelling. So I don't hate Voyager altogether, I just think it was sloppily handled.
Rihannsu
# 29
07-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmodi View Post
Like the one guy who posted earlier said.... It's possible they figured it out. They had a lot of spare time to work on it....

Such as the "irreplaceable" parts. Sure you can't manufacture an exact duplicate, but it's possible to make something that does the same job.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Like the one guy who posted earlier said.... It's possible they figured it out. They had a lot of spare time to work on it....

Such as the "irreplaceable" parts. Sure you can't manufacture an exact duplicate, but it's possible to make something that does the same job.
Yeah. . . but it still would have been far more interesting to grapple with those issues onscreen, instead of handwaving them away in favor of the same Negative Space Wedgie encountered by Enterprises NX-01, NCC-1701, NCC-1701-D, and Deep Space Nine.