Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,590
# 1201
10-20-2013, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Prior to the change, people could get a benefit out of not finishing the mission and restarting it repeatedly after doing the easy parts.
There were no 'easy parts' , and I see you've not answered the question "How did it cause you an inconvenience ?" .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 132
# 1202
10-21-2013, 06:04 AM
I can't believe the reactions I am seeing from the community regarding the event fix.

"Tour the Universe" was never intended to be the primary source of EC for newer players. It was supposed to be an incentive to explore the game universe while receiving a reward commensurate with the time invested. However, history has shown that any possible exploit or loophole will be abused to the point where it ruins the experience for legitimate users.

Starting the mission, flying through 3 or 4 sector blocks, dropping and repeating to generate EC is obviously an exploit. It defeated the purpose of the event. It even hurt new players by flooding the game with EC concentrated in the hands of more experienced players, inflating exchange prices.

Essentially, the event participants brought this on themselves by over-exploiting a hole in the game code. You got to keep all the EC you earned from cheesing the event, which is more then I would have given you.

If you want free EC, just keep a toon slot cycling through levels 10-39 and sell low level gear. You can get half a million a day selling contraband from DOFF assignments. Play the exchange, or actually play the game.

Don't fly in circles like a headless chicken and expect to profit from it.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,590
# 1203
10-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mll623 View Post
However, history has shown that any possible exploit or loophole will be abused to the point where it ruins the experience for legitimate users.
How did this ruin your experience ?

Quote:
Starting the mission, flying through 3 or 4 sector blocks, dropping and repeating to generate EC is obviously an exploit.
No it isn't .

Quote:
It defeated the purpose of the event.
No it didn't .

Quote:
It even hurt new players by flooding the game with EC concentrated in the hands of more experienced players, inflating exchange prices.
Have the exchange prices dropped since the change ? And I'm talking about items of worth here like purple weapons consoles and lockbox ships .
FYI not only the prices didn't go down (and it's been a couple of months now since the change) , but on more then a few occasions they went up .

Why ?
Because those holding these items no longer have access to the easy EC that the players had , which in turn means less sales .
And that means that they have to make up for the less sales in volume by raising prices .
At least that's how it works in STO -- which means that real world economics don't always apply to a game .

Quote:
Don't fly in circles like a headless chicken and expect to profit from it.
Don't worry , I already do that in STF's .
And yes , they had long ago stopped being 'fun' (lack of diversity , lack of challenge , 3.5 years of the same 3 missions , you name it) -- and now they feel exactly like flying in circles like a headless chicken for profit .

Oh, and since this is how Tour of the Universe was introduced to the players , this was the way it was intended to be played .
Either shorter flying in circles like a headless chicken for profit , or a longer flight in circles like a headless chicken for profit .

If Cryptic was that bothered by it they could have fixed in two weeks , not after almost two years .
Letting this become a preminent fixture in the game makes it Cryptic's fault , not the players .
But you're welcome to try an re-wright history .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .

Last edited by aelfwin1; 10-21-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,175
# 1204
10-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1 View Post
Why ?
Because those holding these items no longer have access to the easy EC that the players had , which in turn means less sales .
And that means that they have to make up for the less sales in volume by raising prices .
At least that's how it works in STO -- which means that real world economics don't always apply to a game .
If no one is willing to pay that high a price then the price will come down eventually. Fake economy or not.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 108
# 1205
10-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Sorry, but i gotta disagree here. If the prices were ever gonna come down on the exchange, they would have by now.

And no. The "It'll take months for the exchange prices to simmer down" crap might have been acceptable a few months back, as far as benefit of the doubt went, but when a white DOFF goes from 20000 to 40000, or a fleet ship module goes from 5mil to 7mil from then to now, just no. There's a limit to rainmaking, and this one has hit it.

Now, you can go with the "but companies want to make money" thing, and i'll go with it, because it's true. But to come down on the players for playing the game, like it harms anyone else, i think that one has come and gone.

And no, there is no specific way you're supposed to play the game. You play a game however you want to, provided it doesn't ruin the fun for anyone else. And in this case, it didn't, no matter how anyone will want to spin it.
Captain
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,337
# 1206
10-22-2013, 06:42 PM
In STO's economy supply and demand is a much stronger market force than how much EC everyone has. In fact, gameplay changes are also a stronger factor than the amount of EC flowing around.

DOFF packs, their unique DOFFs, and ships are only available for a limited time. The supply dries up and their prices skyrocket. Amount of EC people have has nothing to do with it. Tufflis used to only be 18 million and now they're 140 million because there's been no fresh supply in months. Yes people do pay that much for them.

Strange artifacts fall like rain from the sky in a DOFF pack and their price plummets for months on end.

New stuff in the C-store makes the dilithium exchange and the price of Contraband twitch, etc..

The devs make a dozen different flavors of Disruptor weapons (spiral wave, polarized, elachi, etc etc) and Antiproton then falls out of favor as the must-have high-level gear. Devs add awesome consoles and gear to fleet holdings and then the console prices on the exchange fall through the floor (tactical consoles are the only holdouts for the most part).

The devs nerf the tour and, oh look, no changes in exchange prices. Of the 3 factors I mentioned, this is the weakest. The other two easily overpower any effect it had.

I'm not complaining about any of these things, mind you, I'm just saying they're all stronger forces on exchange prices than how much EC players are getting. I was really disappointed when I found out that the tour nerf happened but frankly it was inevitable. They never envisioned the loopholes players would come up with. I've only played it once since the nerf happened because it's not worth my time and I can make EC much faster by doing other things. It just used to be a nice bonus for some quick and easy EC, and was simultaneously fun when it came to racing other players that used the same route.

My one actual complaint is that slipstream doesn't carry over through sector borders/load screens anymore. That has me pissed. If there's a 4 hour cooldown then frankly it shouldn't matter how fast players complete it. That is an unnecessary nerf that I hate.
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 270
# 1207
11-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
In STO's economy supply and demand is a much stronger market force than how much EC everyone has. In fact, gameplay changes are also a stronger factor than the amount of EC flowing around.

DOFF packs, their unique DOFFs, and ships are only available for a limited time. The supply dries up and their prices skyrocket. Amount of EC people have has nothing to do with it. Tufflis used to only be 18 million and now they're 140 million because there's been no fresh supply in months. Yes people do pay that much for them.

Strange artifacts fall like rain from the sky in a DOFF pack and their price plummets for months on end.

New stuff in the C-store makes the dilithium exchange and the price of Contraband twitch, etc..

The devs make a dozen different flavors of Disruptor weapons (spiral wave, polarized, elachi, etc etc) and Antiproton then falls out of favor as the must-have high-level gear. Devs add awesome consoles and gear to fleet holdings and then the console prices on the exchange fall through the floor (tactical consoles are the only holdouts for the most part).

The devs nerf the tour and, oh look, no changes in exchange prices. Of the 3 factors I mentioned, this is the weakest. The other two easily overpower any effect it had.

I'm not complaining about any of these things, mind you, I'm just saying they're all stronger forces on exchange prices than how much EC players are getting. I was really disappointed when I found out that the tour nerf happened but frankly it was inevitable. They never envisioned the loopholes players would come up with. I've only played it once since the nerf happened because it's not worth my time and I can make EC much faster by doing other things. It just used to be a nice bonus for some quick and easy EC, and was simultaneously fun when it came to racing other players that used the same route.

My one actual complaint is that slipstream doesn't carry over through sector borders/load screens anymore. That has me pissed. If there's a 4 hour cooldown then frankly it shouldn't matter how fast players complete it. That is an unnecessary nerf that I hate.
Any chance we might see in Season 8 a correction for the SST carry over, since you cannot run it more than once, and it really doesn't matter how long it takes to finish it, so we can get through faster, so i can do some other form a grinding to earn the ec no longer provided by running this event multiple times?
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 270
# 1208
11-12-2013, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradchristopher1 View Post
Any chance we might see in Season 8 a correction for the SST carry over, since you cannot run it more than once, and it really doesn't matter how long it takes to finish it, so we can get through faster, so i can do some other form a grinding to earn the ec no longer provided by running this event multiple times?
No mention of 'Tour' here

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...post13388081:(
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 35
Okay whose bright idea was this??? First, you add a cooldown to the mission so players are only able to run it once. Now you've cut the EC rewards if half??? GRRRRR

It use to be 50,000ec per sector block but now its 50,000ec per political sector block group! What was 50K x 13 blocks for 650K is now 50K x 7 political block groups for only 350K..... Seriously what are you gonna do next? Are you gonna start taking away EVERY means of generating EC??? Quit messing with EC earning potential!

Sincerely,
Unhappy STOer
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,652
# 1210
11-17-2013, 09:44 PM
In before the thread merge. Mwahahaha!
C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\banner11.jpg
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:48 PM.