Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Closed Thread

Commander
# 501
07-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Cryptic please stand by your change, thank you.

Something that could appease players would be to remove the cooldown and nerf the reward all together.

Another thing could be to only provide a reward for completing each mission. Reduce the reward any way.
Career Officer
# 502
07-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedumb4eva View Post
Cryptic please stand by your change, thank you.

Something that could appease players would be to remove the cooldown and nerf the reward all together.

Another thing could be to only provide a reward for completing each mission. Reduce the reward any way.
Reducing the reward will only aggravate players even further. The best option, in my opinion, would be to just undo the last patch, rework it without the Tour Nerf, and reapply the patch. Simple as that.

As for the people who are in support of the Nerf... You all know that you are alienating yourselves with your comments. Just saying.
Rihannsu
# 503
07-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanx82 View Post
Reducing the reward will only aggravate players even further. The best option, in my opinion, would be to just undo the last patch, rework it without the Tour Nerf, and reapply the patch. Simple as that.

As for the people who are in support of the Nerf... You all know that you are alienating yourselves with your comments. Just saying.
Alienating myself from who? People I never cared about anyways? I fail to see how that is a problem.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Ensign
# 504 How Tour should have been fixed
07-26-2013, 09:51 PM
So Tour the Universe has received a 4 hour cool down, and the reason given was that some members of the community abuse it. By abuse, they probably meant that some players figured out a route that involved visiting the smaller sectors blocks, dropping the mission, and restarting it for maximum earnings.

There are several issues with this cool down.
1) Unfair to players who never exploited the short route. Yes, there are some who use the short route to earn more in one hour, but there are also a good many more that do normal complete runs. There are even some of these people who invest specially to improve their Tour speed, and aim to get things like Driver Coil, borg engines, Odyssey, etc so they can get more than one run in, maybe up to even 4? I personally encountered one player who was like 'shucks, and I only just got my Odyssey', implying he opted to buy the ship cos he had more efficient Tours in mind. It was a decent way to earn EC. But now they are punished to doing only one run per event, for an exploit they didn't even commit.. and this leads to...

2) Wasted effort, time, money on getting the equipment and skill points for faster sector space speed. This tour event has been around so long it was almost a constant, and even a gameplay feature. Some people modify their builds, or have one ship specially which they have bought, and switch to just to have faster runs. The efforts of these individuals are now rendered moot as no matter how fast they go, they can only get one run in per character in that hour. Their investment is pretty much wasted. I so far, only have one borg engine, so I haven't invested heavily in optimizing Tour runs yet, but I can imagine how those who did might feel.

3) Unfair to newer players / toons. New players will never be able to earn EC from the way Tour used to be, and they will be limited in their EC earning options. It will make it more difficult for them to get their EC wealth going... while those who have been running the tour since the game started (regardless of normal method, or exploit method), if they haven't expended all the EC earned, can enjoy their riches, and watch the poor struggle to get going. There is gonna be some rich-poor divide that is more difficult to close.

4) Other EC related issues spring up.. such as exchange prices crashing. This can be both good and bad. Good for a buyer, bad for the seller. Many of us are both. EC value is probably going to increase, so things are probably going to get 'cheapter'. For players who are rich before the nerf, they probably benefit as with the EC they had, they can buy more. Players who are poor, well, just have to struggle to even get anywhere near a rich person's ship.

5) 2 years later, then you fix it and call it an exploit.
Honestly, I didn't play this game for all that long. I only joined earlier this year. I only discovered the perks of running Tour the Universe event about 1 month into playing (after I reached VA). But even from my very first run of Tour, I found the system quirky, 50k for a sector block? regardless of whether the sector block involved 3 loading screens (like Romulans) or 1 loading screen (Like Deferi, Undine and Borg sectors)... that already got me thinking if there was more efficient ways to run the Tour. And not surprisingly, people have found ways to do so, and been running the the short 4 sector tour the past 2 years.. earning up to 2 mil + + for that one hour.
From the very onset, the design of tour was inviting players to figure out an 'exploit'. If you want to call it that. Why didn't you fix it earlier?
It smells more like all this time, the devs were fine with the way it was, until some people decided to get even more money greedy, and since EC is one of the main ways F2Ps survive without using real cash, they decide to nerf Tour to cut down the supply of EC. Hopefully that will push more F2Ps to buy some ZEN, that is probably their logic.

Anyway, I suggest, that since you want to call the faster method an exploit, and you want to fix it, then you should fix Tour DIFFERENTLY.
Not the 4 hour cooldown. Rather. make... the tour assignment either..
1) Undroppable once accepted for that duration of the event. It must be completed before you start another run.
2) Rewards only given at the full completion of the run, visiting all the places on the checklist, rather than 50k per sector block.
3) Cool down only on players who drop early

I think option 2 is the most logical and should have been the way tour worked from the start.
Also, option 2 will allow players who specially optimize their character builds for the Tour, to continue to do 2-3 tours per hour, while at the same time stopping the exploit.

If you do change it to option 2, then I know you are fixing the exploit.
If you keep the nerf as it is, then I believe this change was much less an exploit fix, but rather just another way to try to force F2Ps to make their first real money investment in the game.
Captain
# 505
07-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Well, since you're new here, some pointers:

1) Don't start your own special snowflake thread, you're just making work for the Mods, who will merge this with the monster thread.

2) The exploit wasn't "dropping the quest", the exploit was "making more money per unit time than Cryptic wants." Yes, that's right. Even if you were running the complete rounds, you were, in Cryptic's eyes, exploiting. So they're not going to return the ability to run multiple laps, they don't want you making that much EC.
Career Officer
# 506
07-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elessym View Post
Well, since you're new here, some pointers:

1) Don't start your own special snowflake thread, you're just making work for the Mods, who will merge this with the monster thread.

2) The exploit wasn't "dropping the quest", the exploit was "making more money per unit time than Cryptic wants." Yes, that's right. Even if you were running the complete rounds, you were, in Cryptic's eyes, exploiting. So they're not going to return the ability to run multiple laps, they don't want you making that much EC.
welcome to the forum and I +1 the above comment

Helping people Globally Discover the Freedom of Self Employment
Click to see the full size picture an my first attempt at writing STO Fan Fiction
Career Officer
# 507
07-26-2013, 10:43 PM
I don't remember too much outrage over people running shorter courses. In fact I visited several threads about how to do it, and there was no one complaining of exploits.

So with less EC being earned, how will people find a substitute method that gets an equal amount? I guess, they can just buy less stuff on the exchange, or......buy keys and sell them. Why do I have the feeling Cryptic is counting on the later.
Career Officer
# 508
07-26-2013, 10:43 PM
was posting in the wrong thread.

Helping people Globally Discover the Freedom of Self Employment
Click to see the full size picture an my first attempt at writing STO Fan Fiction

Last edited by novablastmkg; 07-26-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Ensign
# 509
07-26-2013, 10:47 PM
Well, if the exploit is as you say, then indeed all they want us to do is to start buying ZEN.
Continue this way and you won't be gaining my support Cryptic, sooner or later, I am gonna up and leave.
And while this is my first post, I have been lurking on the boards quite a bit.
Captain
# 510
07-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Lol like I mentioned before I guess this is gonna hurt their sales on EC cap increases from the store, now there is no need to get more than 10mill the way Cryptic is screwing us.

If you have come to the forums to complain about the AFK penalty, than it is WAI.
MACO/OMEGA/KHG Accolade Bug Link
Praetor of the Romulan Tal'Shiar fleet
Closed Thread