Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,413
Welcome to the Foundry Roundtable, a weekly podcast dedicated to Foundry missions, mission building and other UGC issues starring Foundry authors Drogyn1701, Markhawkman, Hippiejohn and Greendragoon.

We're on iTunes! Subscribe to our podcast by going to https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/...666311364?mt=2

Listen to it here, here and here:

Subjects:

State of the Foundry
The Frost Report
Mission Review Exchange
Technical Discussion: NPCS

Missions:

Unexpected Reflections by ChivalryBean
Duritanium Man by Zorbane
Latinum is Forever by TeklionBenrasha
Earth Invasion by Amahood
Long Lost Friend 1, 2 & 3 by Amahood

Other Notes:

If you have a topic you?d like to see us cover or would like to be a guest-host, e-mail us at FoundryRoundtable@live.com or follow us on Twitter: @FoundryRoundtab
Join the Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

Looking for a Foundry mission for your Romulan character? Look no further!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 777
# 2
07-28-2013, 07:38 PM
As usual, another entertaining and informative podcast.

Re: "Earth Invasion"

Not having played this myself, I wonder if the whole Klingons vs. vampires thing wasn't inspired at least in part by the Klingons vs. Nazis battle in Voyager's "The Killing Game, Part II". It occurs to me that if not for those pesky canon and fourth-wall considerations, Klingons would make interesting foils for just about any human villains you can name, be they contemporary real-world (Klingons vs. North Korea, anyone?), historical, or mythical/fictional.

Re: Uses for NPCs

My new Romulan Republic mission (see sig below) uses legions of reskinned Romulan Republic mobs for the very purpose you brought up: Non-combat animations and tasks.

As for NPC contacts, while building this mission I discovered something I was not aware of before: At some point in the last year (or two? It's been that long since I've even tried to do this) NPC contacts gained the ability to be used in more than one Dialog With Contact objective. Before, as I recall, they were like objects, that you could not (and still can't) use in more than one Interact objective.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,108
# 3
07-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
As for NPC contacts, while building this mission I discovered something I was not aware of before: At some point in the last year (or two? It's been that long since I've even tried to do this) NPC contacts gained the ability to be used in more than one Dialog With Contact objective. Before, as I recall, they were like objects, that you could not (and still can't) use in more than one Interact objective.
This has been true for as long as I've been using the Foundry (a year and a half.)

@greendragoon
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 202
# 4
07-29-2013, 02:53 AM
Just listened. Thanks for the review
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 683
# 5
07-29-2013, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
As usual, another entertaining and informative podcast.

Re: "Earth Invasion"

Not having played this myself, I wonder if the whole Klingons vs. vampires thing wasn't inspired at least in part by the Klingons vs. Nazis battle in Voyager's "The Killing Game, Part II". It occurs to me that if not for those pesky canon and fourth-wall considerations, Klingons would make interesting foils for just about any human villains you can name, be they contemporary real-world (Klingons vs. North Korea, anyone?), historical, or mythical/fictional.
I am the author of "Earth Invasion" and to answer your question, No it was Not in any way inspired by "Klingons vs. Nazis battle in Voyager's "The Killing Game, Part II" .

It was inspired by my own idea of a funny kind of "invasion" on the earth space dock, which goes wrong.

All of my idea's I get from Myself, and not inspired by other peoples idea's.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 985
# 6
07-29-2013, 08:02 AM
I have a question about the Targ neutral captain 01


If i have a contact that i might want to give the player the option of killing, would despawning the contact and bringing in the targ squad reskinned as the contact work?

is there a lot of fading in/out?

During this Foundry Bonus Weekend, don't just choose the shortest missions, choose to play the best missions. Have more fun, get more marks!

List of great missions: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=286621
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,108
# 7
07-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adverbero View Post
I have a question about the Targ neutral captain 01


If i have a contact that i might want to give the player the option of killing, would despawning the contact and bringing in the targ squad reskinned as the contact work?

is there a lot of fading in/out?
Targ Neutral Captain 01 is unique in that unlike all other Targ groups, it isn't hostile to the player. It's most likely an oversight, and a useful one as we can swap a contact to another animation. However this also means that the player can't attack this group.

If I was attempting to do what you suggest I'd use a normal NPC group with all but one walled off somewhere. Set the group behavior to timid. Put an invisible wall around your remaining NPC and trigger dialog via an invisible object. Once they've talked to the NPC, remove the invisible walls. This will allow the player to then target the remaining NPC once the dialog is complete, but the NPC won't attack unless attacked first.

On a related note, are there technical Foundry discussion topics that you guys would like us to cover?

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 07-29-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,524
# 8
07-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teklionbenrasha View Post
Just listened. Thanks for the review
No problem.

I liked the mission a lot. But it's long because of tedium. I don't think that it would be too difficult to change it to reduce the tedium.

Suggestion 1: Yes I know this won't be easy, but I feel that it would be a good idea to find some way to dispense with running down that long hallway in the Fed interiors. It's not so bad in the combat simulation part, but the rest of the time you're just going from point A to point B. It looks like you're using Fed interior 2. You could probably redo it and leave the room to the west out completely. However, this is probably the least important of the suggestions, and definately the hardest.

Suggestion 2: change the peirs you added to risa to make them shorter. Seriously, you made them about a mile long and it seems kinda pointless.

Suggestion 3: NOTE: this is ONLY for the Jemhadar on the beach. the enemy numbers in the cave and rope bridge area are fine. But the ones on the beach are a bit too numerous IMO. Especially the hotel, IIRC you had 5 groups there.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 202
# 9
07-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
No problem.

I liked the mission a lot. But it's long because of tedium. I don't think that it would be too difficult to change it to reduce the tedium.

Suggestion 1: Yes I know this won't be easy, but I feel that it would be a good idea to find some way to dispense with running down that long hallway in the Fed interiors. It's not so bad in the combat simulation part, but the rest of the time you're just going from point A to point B. It looks like you're using Fed interior 2. You could probably redo it and leave the room to the west out completely. However, this is probably the least important of the suggestions, and definately the hardest.

Suggestion 2: change the peirs you added to risa to make them shorter. Seriously, you made them about a mile long and it seems kinda pointless.

Suggestion 3: NOTE: this is ONLY for the Jemhadar on the beach. the enemy numbers in the cave and rope bridge area are fine. But the ones on the beach are a bit too numerous IMO. Especially the hotel, IIRC you had 5 groups there.
Duly noted. I'll have a play around!
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,413
# 10
07-29-2013, 12:37 PM
I really hate those long corridors but I know how tempting that map is to use. One of the ways I found to break it up was a little turbolift trick. This map was supposed to be the interior of a starship. I beamed the player into one of the rooms and after speaking to a guy, I needed them to go to another deck, but I didn't want a map transition. So I put down one of those walls with a turbolift halfway down the corridor and put an invisible object right in front of it. When you get to the turbolift, a button pops up that says "Go to Deck 16" click it and the turbolift disappears and a new one appears behind you and a pop up says "Welcome to Deck 16"

Short version, give people something to do or someone to talk to in order to break up the monotony of those long halls.
Join the Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

Looking for a Foundry mission for your Romulan character? Look no further!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:53 PM.