Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,892
# 11
07-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Targ Neutral Captain 01 is unique in that unlike all other Targ groups, it isn't hostile to the player. It's most likely an oversight, and a useful one as we can swap a contact to another animation. However this also means that the player can't attack this group.

If I was attempting to do what you suggest I'd use a normal NPC group with all but one walled off somewhere. Set the group behavior to timid. Put an invisible wall around your remaining NPC and trigger dialog via an invisible object. Once they've talked to the NPC, remove the invisible walls. This will allow the player to then target the remaining NPC once the dialog is complete, but the NPC won't attack unless attacked first.

On a related note, are there technical Foundry discussion topics that you guys would like us to cover?
Ah thanks, thats gonna be real helpful, i feel like i should let the player decide the fate of an NPC from time to time, so far my only solution has been to trigger their death by having an explosion or something, then replacing the contact with a dead body during the explosion, nothing that actually lets the player get his or her hands dirty should they choose




My other question is about branching/optional gameplay , i've been tinkering myself i think i have learned a little about how to work around the linear story board, but i'd be curious to hear any tricks and work arounds more experienced authors have learned


These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,897
# 12
07-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adverbero View Post
My other question is about branching/optional gameplay , i've been tinkering myself i think i have learned a little about how to work around the linear story board, but i'd be curious to hear any tricks and work arounds more experienced authors have learned
Would be an excellent topic. I did one where I "faked" multiple endings and I know there are lots of other authors who have done similar things.

Here's a question for our listeners. With this episode we made a conscious effort to make it a bit shorter. It clocks in at about 1 hour 14 minutes where our previous shows have gone more towards 2 hours. Do you guys like the somewhat shorter format?
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,521
# 13
07-29-2013, 03:17 PM
The main way to create divergent gameplay is to use the visibility toggles on dialog boxes. For this example I'll do a simple bifurcation.

Let's say it's a ground map and you've just engaged several hostiles who beamed to a ship and are preparing to jump to warp. Your char now has a choice: blast them out of space or let them go and chase them down later.

First you need to write the two versions of the mission dialogs. Basically for this you would write a start and end and two paths connecting them.

Next you add a mission objective that triggers the start of dialog. Then you add a NON-mission objective, such as interacting with a console.

Next we set one of the dialog paths to be invisible if you chose the lethal option, and th other to only appear if you chose the lethal option, et viola! A branch in the story. But it's a totally flavor based branch as in this example nothing happens beyond changing what dialog you see when you play the story.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,892
# 14
07-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
The main way to create divergent gameplay is to use the visibility toggles on dialog boxes. For this example I'll do a simple bifurcation.

Let's say it's a ground map and you've just engaged several hostiles who beamed to a ship and are preparing to jump to warp. Your char now has a choice: blast them out of space or let them go and chase them down later.

First you need to write the two versions of the mission dialogs. Basically for this you would write a start and end and two paths connecting them.

Next you add a mission objective that triggers the start of dialog. Then you add a NON-mission objective, such as interacting with a console.

Next we set one of the dialog paths to be invisible if you chose the lethal option, and th other to only appear if you chose the lethal option, et viola! A branch in the story. But it's a totally flavor based branch as in this example nothing happens beyond changing what dialog you see when you play the story.

I dabled with this a little , only learned about it after i has started, s trying to put it in where it wasn't has been a pain, the one thing i found here is the UI was a pain
I didn't see the option for the visibilty states on all the dialoges, and on some not unless i closed/opened the side bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post

Here's a question for our listeners. With this episode we made a conscious effort to make it a bit shorter. It clocks in at about 1 hour 14 minutes where our previous shows have gone more towards 2 hours. Do you guys like the somewhat shorter format?
Personally i kinda liked the longer format, but i don't mind it shorter either , all i'd say is don't cut out anything to meet a time slot, if its interesting, we want to hear it


These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,521
# 15
07-29-2013, 03:37 PM
One key limitation to remember is that you can't do branching based simply on dialog choices. It just doesn't work.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,422
# 16
07-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Here's a question for our listeners. With this episode we made a conscious effort to make it a bit shorter. It clocks in at about 1 hour 14 minutes where our previous shows have gone more towards 2 hours. Do you guys like the somewhat shorter format?
PLus we managed to get 5 missions reviewed in that shorter time
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 471
# 17
07-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Great show again guys! On the subject of NPCs, I'm wondering if I'm missing something regards the max number of contacts. Is there any way to give an NPC a basic animation (sitting) without counting them in the contact limit? Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
I really hate those long corridors but I know how tempting that map is to use. One of the ways I found to break it up was a little turbolift trick. This map was supposed to be the interior of a starship. I beamed the player into one of the rooms and after speaking to a guy, I needed them to go to another deck, but I didn't want a map transition. So I put down one of those walls with a turbolift halfway down the corridor and put an invisible object right in front of it. When you get to the turbolift, a button pops up that says "Go to Deck 16" click it and the turbolift disappears and a new one appears behind you and a pop up says "Welcome to Deck 16"

Short version, give people something to do or someone to talk to in order to break up the monotony of those long halls.
I hate those too, why did they design them so long? Good idea, I might use that sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Here's a question for our listeners. With this episode we made a conscious effort to make it a bit shorter. It clocks in at about 1 hour 14 minutes where our previous shows have gone more towards 2 hours. Do you guys like the somewhat shorter format?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
PLus we managed to get 5 missions reviewed in that shorter time
I did, and much appreciated! Managed to finish before I went to bed for a change! Seemed to work very well.

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,483
# 18
07-29-2013, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisscience View Post
Great show again guys! On the subject of NPCs, I'm wondering if I'm missing something regards the max number of contacts. Is there any way to give an NPC a basic animation (sitting) without counting them in the contact limit? Or am I misunderstanding how it works?
NPC Contacts and NPC Groups have separate object limits. If you try to do an large crowd out of NPC contacts, it's easy to run into the limit. However the limit for NPC groups is per group not per NPC. This can equate to a lot of NPCs before you run into that limit. Only contacts you actually talk to need to be NPC Contacts.

@greendragoon
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,521
# 19
07-29-2013, 07:51 PM
minor Caveat: If you use NPC groups to add extra bystanders, they will usually participate in combat, unlike NPC contacts.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,483
# 20
07-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
One key limitation to remember is that you can't do branching based simply on dialog choices. It just doesn't work.
You can if you use a map dialog. The key is that anything that is placed on the storyboard must happen, so any branch in the story must take place outside the normal storyboard objectives. That said objective can be phrased in such a way that they can work for either way a story goes. The only immutable rule is that once they're done with a map, no choices made will translate to the next map.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 07-29-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:04 AM.