Rihannsu
Hello, it's been a very long time since I visited the forums and longer since I dabbled with the Foundry. I have however recently been working on a mission which I've finished despite how much of a pain it was trying to test maps and get NPCs to actually stand in the right place and not inside walls/under floors/on top of ceilings. What happened? Anyway since attempting to test my own mission just didn't work out I was wondering if anyone would mind giving it a go - I'll edit anything that needs work, reviews are optional as I'd really prefer not to need to add too much since it starts to become a chore. Also what's this submit to Cryptic feature, yeah as I said not been on there for a while.

My mission is Traitor's Tales ST-HTT78YMZS it's a Fed mission for any level.
Commander
# 2
08-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Hi nrobbiec,
Just finished it. Fun mission with a good plot and well put together. I enjoyed getting a chance to fight the Ferasans a bit - they're very under used. At the crash site, that seemed a lot of wreckage for a shuttle to be honest, but looked good either way. Waypoints for holograms were way off though, never actually ended up fighting most. Looking forward to your next part!

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
08-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Traitor Tales

First map, on the bridge:
- First thing i see is a button "interact". Interact with what? Next thing i see Zowdad's being talkable, but i can also talk to Rulah and Velid, what to do?
In short; i get loads of options to do, but i don't know or get to hear which kind of direction i go to (with whatever i might choose to do first).
- I choose for Zowsdad first, awww a marital fight going on there!
- Ah, good to see another red-skin, my tip is to change the task description "The Mission" to "Get the mission from Velid".
- Standard text: "Go to next map", this might be improved for better story telling.

Second map, Space:
- As i know out of experience, space maps are harder to look like it is something "eventful". You might try and add some nebulae's.
- Nice beam out animation what happened there when you are getting close.
- One rather funny detail; i have to lunch am away mission! Does any ketchup come with that? You might change it into a "Launch an away team".

Third map, the ship:
- Nice one with the forcefield (you forced a player to go a certain way)! I would ask you to raise it a bit though, simply since there's still a gap visible.
- Enemies; remind me to buy an elite fleet pulsewave on my fed...
- Cat resting places in the bar, nice detail.
- The bridge crew were a challenge, but i like a challenge.

Fourth map, the escape:
- Ship goes boom! Please add more explosions .
- After you've talked to the klingon, it just disappears without any animation. Since you will go to the surface directly, you can keep the Klingon ship visible.

Fifth map, the crash site:
- Loads and loads of debris... way too much for a shuttle, but it's kind of an artform. Well done .
- I don't get the ironic ironicness of the brig?
- A large piece of debris near the brig is hanging half a metre above the ground.
- I first shot Jinak and only then found the holo device
- I didn't had to defeat any Jinak's to set it as defeated... It apparently get's done by only triggering the markers.
- The walking through the map is indeed a bit too much. Merely caused by so much boulders and such.

Sixth map, Facility space:
- Nice design! It's ashame you only use it to actually let you beam over to the facility itself

Seventh map, Facility ground:
- Prisoners, well done!
- Prisoner 6969, about my uniform? Oh my... SO wrong on so many levels

Mission was fun, but improvements can be done in the details. 4/5 mainly for the story and rather good forcefield usages.
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Rihannsu
# 4
08-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks guys!

So much to cover...

Originally I wanted the player to meet the task force in space, but the Vesta class is broke and the Armitage wasn't there so I scrapped it.

The console is one of my hidden details but unfortunately it wouldn't let me change "interact" to anything if it isn't a plot point.

I'll make it more clear you have to talk to Velid and all the others are optional.

Having the targ beds on that map was such a happy coincidence, I chose it because some standard little interior wouldn't feel right for an Atrox. I like the Ferasans and I've always been fond of the idea of them having the Atrox carriers too.

I think the forcefield isn't big enough to cover that gap but I'll try and play around a bit.

I wanted the QeylIS BetleH to re-cloak but that was the best I could do.

Okay, the Crash Site, this map was absolute torture. It took hours just to find somewhere I could stick Jinak without him being somewhere the player gets stuck trying to get to or inside a boulder. And the placing on the map screen in the Foundry was way off. The reason there's waypoints instead of defeat flags is because technically all the holograms are one squad and the Foundry won't let me identify individual npcs from a group. My original idea was to tell the player that Jinak was in one of the four corners of the map, but getting to the corners just couldn't be simple so that's why I had to change it. I don't know another way around it, I can fix the way points but other than scrapping that and just telling you where the real Jiank is I'm stuck for ideas.

I didn't intend for it to be a shuttle shuttle, more like the captain's yacht, bigger but still referred to as a shuttlecraft. I had hoped the crashed Klingon ship from the Alpha mission map would be in the Foundry but again no.

The space map for the facility is just the Lackey system so I can't really take credit for it. It just looked right and I needed a transition between arresting Jinak and visiting his cell.

The prison facility was another pain. Forcefields and prisoners spawned on top of the cells for some reason, I'm lucky I guessed right first time with what to do with the X axis. Yeah I had fun designing the prisoners though, especially the Gorn

A bit of trivia, almost all of the main characters are mine or my BOffs. Velid is my main Fed, Rulah is my alt. Cerberus, Normandy, Servian and Gyrfalcon are all ships on Velid's account. Zowsdad and Cugit are Velid's BOffs. Rulah has the dreadnought but in-game it's called Jeska instead of Columbia. The IKS QeylIS BetleH and it's captain are my main KDF. Jinak is a BOff on my KDF alt. That's the double meaning of them saying you'll see them again.

I had fun putting in the Mass Effect and Fallout references.

I'll fix my spelling errors and try and tweak the maps a little. Thank you again for the positive feedback guys, I really appreciate it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
08-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrobbiec View Post
The console is one of my hidden details but unfortunately it wouldn't let me change "interact" to anything if it isn't a plot point.
I had the same problem with my latest map. Found this to be the solution; as soon as you connect a dialog to an object, the object gets a new tab called "Triggers". Here you can change the "Interact Text".

Quote:
I'll make it more clear you have to talk to Velid and all the others are optional.
Awesome!

Quote:
I think the forcefield isn't big enough to cover that gap but I'll try and play around a bit.
I used these forcefields quite a bit on my first mission (the borg ground map), they are quite lengthy (about 3 or 4 metres). You might try to ++ the Y-axis of this object a bit.

Quote:
I wanted the QeylIS BetleH to re-cloak but that was the best I could do.
Try to add two of those ships. Let the second one appear when you're busy with the task. Let the first one disappear as you used to, and add another task (or something) to start the warp-out animation (and let it disappear). It's quite tricky to do, but it's doable. You might check out my mission (Collectiveness strikes gold) since i've specifically done this trick in the last space map.

Quote:
Okay, [snap] I'm stuck for ideas.
Have you tried other ground maps yet? Just add another maps without actually connecting them to the story. Just walk through them and look which one can suit your idea best.

Quote:
A bit of trivia, almost all of the main characters are mine or my BOffs. Velid is my main Fed, Rulah is my alt. Cerberus, Normandy, Servian and Gyrfalcon are all ships on Velid's account. Zowsdad and Cugit are Velid's BOffs. Rulah has the dreadnought but in-game it's called Jeska instead of Columbia. The IKS QeylIS BetleH and it's captain are my main KDF. Jinak is a BOff on my KDF alt. That's the double meaning of them saying you'll see them again.

I had fun putting in the Mass Effect and Fallout references.

I'll fix my spelling errors and try and tweak the maps a little. Thank you again for the positive feedback guys, I really appreciate it.
Cool!!
Well, it was fun and a good use of maps.
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Rihannsu
# 6
08-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Changed the Crash Site objective to disabling devices that the holograms are next to. Took 10 minutes for the map to load but it worked.
Career Officer
# 7
08-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Heya,

I've created a thread for new mission authors to trade reviews! Get plays, get feedback, and learn how other authors are using the Foundry!

Just post your mission title, author handle and faction (fed/kdf).

Link to thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=816401

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan