Lt. Commander
# 1 Basic Nurse functionality
07-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Tried searching and couldn't find anything directly on point. I wanted to confirm before I bind a purple Nurse to my character.

The description of the ability is as follows:
On use of any hypo, provides a chance to beam down a medic who will heal you and your allies for a while before beaming back up to your ship.

Does this apply to both consumables and the abilities Hypospray: Melorazine and Hypospray: Dylovene? For some reason I just have trouble believing it does exactly what it says, and it makes a huge difference for this character since I hate consumables.

Thanks!

Dn'Dok, son of Ladok - Klingon/Romulan Engineer ~~ Mosa M'ren-faa - Ferasan Tactical
Krushan Twinn - Orion Science
Empire Veteran
# 2
07-30-2013, 01:53 AM
You can equip up to 3 Nurses as well. I don't believe it does affect those two abilities, but if it does, that would be a bit more better usage of the DOFF for a science character. For the most part the DOFF refers to normal, consumable hypos.

HOWEVER....it can apply to other consumables. (they won't proc on normal shield charges and power cells though)

Namely the special 'double consumables', the 'boosters' like the 'Weapons and Health Booster'. In particular, it can also proc on a whole team if you use the Team boosters.

Meaning that you can have Medics beam down for possibly other members of your team. I once, rather expensively managed to get 3 VR Nurses and a bunch of 'Team Health and Shields Boosters' with 4 other people on my team to test. It took awhile, but eventually it fully procced and a massive team of 15 Medics beamed down. (Note: This happened months ago, it is possible that this could've been changed since then, so it will be a case of caveat emptor if you want to try this on your own)

Medics themselves are very weak. Their 'healing' consists of Medical Tricorder 1 usage on mostly yourself, sometimes teammates. The full team procs can be nice however because all those little heals can add up. The medics are decent for taking a few hits sometimes and some healing, but not much past that.

Also, I never testing these in places where you need EVA suits, so keep that in mind, because I don't know if the medics will beam down in suits or not.

In final: They can be nice if you have nothing else to use in your ground slots, but for all 3 classes, there are generally a lot better choices all around.

Lt. Commander
# 3
07-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the input. I went back to the character in question and realized I could just equip a Nurse (I already had a bound one of lesser rarity) and check the tooltips for the appropriate abilities. The result: the proc was added to the tooltip of a consumable hypo, but not to the hypo abilities.

End result: Nurses do not seem to proc on the abilities Hypospray: Melorazine and Hypospray: Dylovene (despite the text of their descriptions). So if, like me, you have an irrational aversion to equipping consumables, don't bother binding those Nurses!

I've just equipped a second Doctor for now instead, joining my two purple Botanists and my Armory Officer (Turret).

Dn'Dok, son of Ladok - Klingon/Romulan Engineer ~~ Mosa M'ren-faa - Ferasan Tactical
Krushan Twinn - Orion Science

Last edited by flatmatt; 07-30-2013 at 08:15 PM.