Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 118
# 21
08-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Same reason we can't use sunglasses, because of clipping apparently. There is very little that can go on the head as a Caitian unless you buy a Ferasan and unlock the eye patch.

I'm not actually sure what costume options work with Caitians. Maybe we need to make a list?
========================================
SABLE SQUADRON ~ Caitian Engineer
The bigger the ship the better.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,499
# 22
08-01-2013, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattachine View Post
I can live with not getting digitigrade legs. As long as we get the option that the beachcomber outfit gave them to not use shoes. But with these tweeks.

1. make the feet thickness slider go higher so the paws don't look like they have been squashed.

2. make the feet length slider make the feet a little bit shorter then the lowest setting is now.

3. Don't make the leg attached to the feet slimmer when the feet are made shorter.

Those should be easy tweaks and give the Ccaitians something they have been needing since they were added to the game.

On an other Caitian topic. Why can't Caitians use the flowers on their heads?
Same reason we can't use sun glasses.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 603
# 23
08-01-2013, 07:42 AM
I doubt we will get that (at least not until we get the next "alien"-alien [not the normal plain vanilla-humans with odd noses/ears/necks...] oh, and Horta's do not count ) but...
/fully supported.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 586
# 24
08-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Lyrans don't even originate from a Star Trek game so what's your point?
Actually, they were in Starfleet Command (video game).
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 411
# 25
08-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
Same reason we can't use sun glasses.
The reason that there is clipping must be bogus. If I make an alien and play with the different head shapes, head sizes and head attachments there is much more clipping then it ever would be on a Caitian. As the range their heads can be changed is much much much smaller then the alien species.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,046
# 26
08-02-2013, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergaminggeek View Post
Actually, they were in Starfleet Command (video game).
*facepalm* that's NOT where they come from. That's where you know them from.

They originated in the 1979 tabletop "Star Fleet Battles" which was created at a time when certain aspects of Star Trek (like the names "Klingon" or "Romulan" and the ships from those races) were not copyright protected.
As a result a group of people created a tabletop out of those elements of Trek they could use: TOS, TAS and some fan-material.
Since then this game has developed into a comepletely different direction with its technology and history...both forward from TOS and backwards.
The people in charge (Amarillo Design Bureau or ADB) don't even consider their own material to be a Star Trek game, nor that it is set in the Star Trek universe.

Interplay, when it made SFC, had the Star Trek license and basically turned Star Fleet Battles into a PC game (something ADB is not allowed to do) and added the Star Trek name to it because they could.
So the Lyrans, ISC and Hydrans for example are NOT Star Trek universe races...not even from a soft-canon perspective. They're Star Fleet Universe races.
The biggest changes between SFB and SFC was that the ship models were changed (while the ship descriptions and stats remained the same) and that the Kzinti had to be renamed to "Mirak" for legal reason.

Last edited by misterde3; 08-02-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 476
# 27
08-02-2013, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
*facepalm* that's NOT where they come from. That's where you know them from.

They originated in the 1979 tabletop "Star Fleet Battles" which was created at a time when certain aspects of Star Trek (like the names "Klingon" or "Romulan" and the ships from those races) were not copyright protected.
As a result a group of people created a tabletop out of those elements of Trek they could use: TOS, TAS and some fan-material.
Since then this game has developed into a comepletely different direction with its technology and history...both forward from TOS and backwards.
The people in charge (Amarillo Design Bureau or ADB) don't even consider their own material to be a Star Trek game, nor that it is set in the Star Trek universe.

Interplay, when it made SFC, had the Star Trek license and basically turned Star Fleet Battles into a PC game (something ADB is not allowed to do) and added the Star Trek name to it because they could.
So the Lyrans, ISC and Hydrans for example are NOT Star Trek universe races...not even from a soft-canon perspective. They're Star Fleet Universe races.
The biggest changes between SFB and SFC was that the ship models were changed (while the ship descriptions and stats remained the same) and that the Kzinti had to be renamed to "Mirak" for legal reason.

From what i understand, they were copyrighted, but when adb went to those who owned it they did not realize the cash cow it could be, so they gave the rights to adb "in perpetuity". When Star Trek refused to die and they realized how much money the name could make they refused adb the licenses to use any new star trek stuff. This led to adb just adding on to what they had and making what is essentially an alternate universe.
New home of the Romulan Republic.
I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 476
# 28
08-02-2013, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skollulfr View Post
...
digitigrade feet on bipeds the size of humans = lots of broken feet due to the increased stress of focussing impacts & load forces through the structures.

even our own feet & ancles are shining examples of 'intelligent design' being demonstrably stupid.

stepped down a curb just a bit wrong? have a torn Achilles tendon free of charge.

funny enough, something similar to the elites in halo may well be close to what could evole if a digitigrade species ended up bipedal.

but anyway, all for more aliens anywhere they can be gotten.
Not sure all of that applies, i dont see why bipedal movement could not evolve it, it certainly would not be the weight considering how heavy wild cats can be.
New home of the Romulan Republic.
I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 476
# 29
08-02-2013, 05:27 AM
As to the OP, i am all for this.
New home of the Romulan Republic.
I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,046
# 30
08-02-2013, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seannewboy View Post
From what i understand, they were copyrighted, but when adb went to those who owned it they did not realize the cash cow it could be, so they gave the rights to adb "in perpetuity". When Star Trek refused to die and they realized how much money the name could make they refused adb the licenses to use any new star trek stuff. This led to adb just adding on to what they had and making what is essentially an alternate universe.
It's even more weird that that:
originally the person who did the Star Fleet Technical Manual (Franz Joseph) gave them permission...which is strange when you think about the fact he wasn't actually the IP holder...to make it and then some time later they got permission from Paramount.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/faqs.shtml

Is all of this legal?
Answer: Yes! We obtained a license from Franz Joseph in 1979 and later signed a contract with Paramount. We pay them a royalty check every three months.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:23 AM.