Captain
# 1 Map transfer animation
08-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Often at times i wish to have a player carry out actions on their ship, and then return to controling the vessel, but this gives us an irritating ( IMO ) beam out animation, and i'm thinking, why would the player stood on the bridge, beam himself, too the bridge

I am wondering if the foundry will ever get an option like the Player bridge 'return to tactical view button'

A very small change, and i grant, not an important one, but i think it would hep with immersion slightly

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
Captain
# 2
08-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adverbero View Post
Often at times i wish to have a player carry out actions on their ship, and then return to controling the vessel, but this gives us an irritating ( IMO ) beam out animation, and i'm thinking, why would the player stood on the bridge, beam himself, too the bridge

I am wondering if the foundry will ever get an option like the Player bridge 'return to tactical view button'

A very small change, and i grant, not an important one, but i think it would hep with immersion slightly
The ability to control those animations and whether or not they happen has long been requested. Particularly on npc despawns, we could do lots of cool animation changes if they weren't baked in. I'd like to see it.
Captain
# 3
08-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Now i think of it, i would really like a coughing and then unconscious Animation on despawn so it looks like they were gassed

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
Captain
# 4
08-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Now i think of it, i would really like a coughing and then unconscious Animation on despawn so it looks like they were gassed
Yeah, me too. Those beam in animations prevent us from doing stuff like that . There are some targs that have no animations, but last time I checked the beam-ins returned when the thing was reskinned.
Captain
# 5
08-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Yeah, me too. Those beam in animations prevent us from doing stuff like that . There are some targs that have no animations, but last time I checked the beam-ins returned when the thing was reskinned.
That sucks

If i were trying to avoid having them beam in, is there any good way to hide it visually besides a dialog pop up?

Would having them spawn behind doorways then having them patrol so they move through the door work? or do they just get stuck on the door?

Captain
# 6
08-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Quote:
That sucks

If i were trying to avoid having them beam in, is there any good way to hide it visually besides a dialog pop up?

Would having them spawn behind doorways then having them patrol so they move through the door work? or do they just get stuck on the door?
Problem with the patrol is it repeats, so the character doesn't just walk to a spot and stop. It loops. The more that you mess with it, the more you will discover how so many of the options for npc behavior counter the other options. So, woohoo, make your npcs despawn and hit a brick wall due to baked in animations. Try to take advantage of a patrol only to have it back fire. Don't even get me started about the mess of jobs, lol.

All of it is like, "here is something new you can do with your npcs, and sorry that other parts of our npc features make what you want to do impossible."

Even if you hide it behind a dialogue box, the player hears the beam in animation. Couple all of that with trigger restrictions when something is in your storyboard and it's a real mess.

Last edited by kirksplat; 08-03-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Career Officer
# 7
08-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Space map transitions should also be controllable. It doesn't always make sense to have the player warping between space maps. Anomalies and even ship explosions (for "Cause and Effect"-type scenarios) should be options as well, as should no effect at all.
Career Officer
# 8
08-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Problem with the patrol is it repeats, so the character doesn't just walk to a spot and stop. It loops. The more that you mess with it, the more you will discover how so many of the options for npc behavior counter the other options. So, woohoo, make your npcs despawn and hit a brick wall due to baked in animations. Try to take advantage of a patrol only to have it back fire. Don't even get me started about the mess of jobs, lol.
Couldn't you just trigger a wall to pop up along their patrol route while they're on the other side of it? This isn't foolproof of course, as only the player can activate triggers and would have to time it right, but it's something.

Or better yet, on a custom map, set up the patrol route to go over a point where a section of the floor is conveniently missing.
Captain
# 9
08-03-2013, 11:30 PM
little off topic , but i now would like to have NPC Reach markers

just thinking that a patrol reaching a location could activate something would be fun to play with

though i realise i am now just demanding stuff, which is unlikely to get me anything