Lt. Commander
I still randomly have the blue screen error.
I sincerely am not sure if it's my computer hardware/software fault, or if it's STO's one.

But i'm now able to report the code of the blue screen error itself: i hope that could be of some help for Cryptic in case that's a STO bug.

*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x89BDB020, 0x89BDB194, 0x805D297E)

Have a nice day.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-25-2010, 01:27 AM
Oh, I'm happy to see I'm not the only one. I also get it here and there, and only in STO, but I can't read it fast enough.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-25-2010, 01:55 AM
STOP: F4 is 99.99999999999% a hardware issue. In rare cases it's software, and there is the slight off chance you didn't set your hard drive to slave / master properly which would also cause it.

I installed a new harddrive a few days ago and a couple of days ago the Blue Screen of Death with error messgae Stop:0x000000F4 appeared on my screeen. It said if it was the first time this has happened, simply re-boot. It was the first time so I just re-booted. Then today, that darn Blue Screen of death came up again upon boot up.

Since this was now the second time it happened I called Dell Tech support (Am I ever glad I bought the hard drive from Dell rather than somewhere where I would have saved $5) After getting past the language understanding, the Dell Tech support technician had me start by unplugging the power cord going into the computer, the monitor cord, the mouse cord and the keyboard cord. He then had me remove one by one all of my memory cards (4 of them).

Then he had me re-install one memory card and replug all of the cords and reboot. He had me repeat the process untill all four memory cards were re-installed. I then tried to connect to the internet and my mouse stopped working. When I wiggled the mouse cord, the Blue Screen of death with the same error message came back again. The tech had me once again start removing memory cards one at a time and upon each removal reboot each time.

The hit F1 to continue or F2 for setup utility message began popping up at boot up. Each time I took something out or put in back in, the tech guy had me unplug the power cord first. After trying all of the memory cards, he then had me take out the small round battery that looks like a large watch battery. He then had me re-install one at a time all of the memory cards rebooting and shutting down after each install and finally had me re-install the battery.

It worked. I asked him what it was that we just went through and he said sometimes when installing new hardware especially hard drives, various components may not configure properly during the install and removing then re-installing allows them to reconfigure with the new hardware. Makes sense to me? I guess.