Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 484
# 1 Villains and Fear
08-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Played Mayns of Balnar Moon the other day and aside from it being totally awesome, it also got me thinking. As a set up, it was kind of like The Thing and similar sci-fi horror films. It managed to achieve a certain amount of fear too. So I was wondering how people respond to villains and if there are any that produce any real fear? Klingons, much like Daleks in Dr Who, are overused to the point you know they'll just roll over and die eventually, you wonder why they bother.

So maps, technical tricks & story aside: what are the best bad guys you've encountered in foundry missions? Has anyone scared the pants off you? How important is a good bad guy?

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,561
# 2
08-06-2013, 02:13 PM
The best villain is often the one that's never seen. In fact man vs. man is only one of the many different kinds of conflict that you can have in a story. I recently rewatched the TNG episode "Remember Me." There's no villain, but it still draws you in.

@greendragoon
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14,497
# 3
08-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisscience View Post
Played Mayns of Balnar Moon the other day and aside from it being totally awesome, it also got me thinking. As a set up, it was kind of like The Thing and similar sci-fi horror films. It managed to achieve a certain amount of fear too. So I was wondering how people respond to villains and if there are any that produce any real fear? Klingons, much like Daleks in Dr Who, are overused to the point you know they'll just roll over and die eventually, you wonder why they bother.

So maps, technical tricks & story aside: what are the best bad guys you've encountered in foundry missions? Has anyone scared the pants off you? How important is a good bad guy?
"Bonnie-kin...... Bonnie-kin....."


Oh wait you said Foundry........
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 484
# 4
08-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
"Bonnie-kin...... Bonnie-kin....."


Oh wait you said Foundry........
Though that did cross my mind! It's a good example of something being creepy in STO, a rare example. But very little was made of it. I was disappointed. Perhaps someone would make a prequel to that??

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,322
# 5
08-06-2013, 04:29 PM
I was thinking about a mission like that, to be accurate, a single player mission in an underwater facility. Add some real nasty thing that kill the others one by one, and you are set.
However, there are several things missing to do that, IMO :
Lighting and sound. I wish I had a real dark place (using the flashlight), with some creepy sound (machines, water drop...).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 152
# 6
08-06-2013, 05:02 PM
I agree with everything said here. I actually remember being creeped out the Bonnie kin guy when I first played that one because it was done well. Never had much elsewhere like that.

To me all of that I consider to be "messing with the player". I personally want to play with the player's head. Nothing malicious or anything like that. Just want to Make them think, confuse them, frustrate them, creep them out. That is when I think is when the gaming experience is at its best. Anyone can sit there and just mash buttons until you complete some objectives. But when you throw a wrench into the players mind and make them have to come off cruise control...I think that's what all Foundry Authors strive for.

That being said, I haven't really found too many ways to make that enemy instill fear in you. You can have someone babble on about how the odds are against you, but in terms of proving that, its definitely a challenge.
k

"The time has come to see the world as it is." - Captain James T. Kirk
Twitter - @SDVargo
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,339
# 7
08-06-2013, 10:18 PM
I find that it's often the environment more than the villain themself. Imagine a movie like Alien being set in a brightly-lit suburb. The creature wouldn't be anywhere near as scary as in the dark, claustrophobic corridors of the Nostromo.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,597
# 8
08-07-2013, 02:52 AM
Daleks are not overused... moar daleks I say /rawr!!!!!


As for fear... I can't say that I have yet... Now if they made a mission ( or allowed us) to make a mission that was set underwater... I would start to think twice.

I want an Armored Hatham called Fluffy!
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,322
# 9
08-07-2013, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
I find that it's often the environment more than the villain themself. Imagine a movie like Alien being set in a brightly-lit suburb. The creature wouldn't be anywhere near as scary as in the dark, claustrophobic corridors of the Nostromo.
Agreed. A real scary game/movie is about ligths, sounds, and situation, not the evil monster itself. Also, motion detector.
While sound and lights can be given as asset in the Foundry, the situation will be limited. Difficult to have a scary unseen monster using text only discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thay8472 View Post
Daleks are not overused... moar daleks I say /rawr!!!!!


As for fear... I can't say that I have yet... Now if they made a mission ( or allowed us) to make a mission that was set underwater... I would start to think twice.
Dalek doesn't scare me, I find them funny. And somewhat cute (except when someone open it). You know, a 20cm creatures inside a tiny battle tank shouting "EXTERMINATE", it looks like they just want to be seen.

As for the underwater thing, I said it first !

Last edited by erei1; 08-07-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,597
# 10
08-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
Agreed. A real scary game/movie is about ligths, sounds, and situation, not the evil monster itself. Also, motion detector.
While sound and lights can be given as asset in the Foundry, the situation will be limited. Difficult to have a scary unseen monster using text only discussion.


Dalek don't scare me, I find them funny. And somewhat cute (except when someone open it). You know, a 20cm creatures inside a tiny battle tank shouting "EXTERMINATE", it looks like they just want to be seen.

As for the underwater thing, I said it first !
do not mock the Daleks :O /rage

As for the under water content... make it scary like half lifes sharks and i'll quite happily remain in orbit.

I want an Armored Hatham called Fluffy!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:48 AM.