Captain
# 1 Balance Through Saturation
08-07-2013, 06:49 PM
I think Husanak touched on this a while ago, but the more and more i think about it, the more and more it makes sense and i have to grudgingly agree.

If there are (for the sake of argument) 30 over powered consoles, but you only have 10 slots in a ship, which 10 of the 30 would you take (not even taking into consideration standard consoles)?

This way, there would be more variety in the game and Cryptic won't have to worry about "micro balance" at all.

Now, they can release as many ships, consoles, pets etc. (which they are doing now) and not have to worry about "balance". As long as they have fixed ship slots, they will balance through slots rather than micro manage / tweak powers.

I'm not saying I agree or like this (personally, i think it stinks), but the way their business model is working and from what they have said / not said in the past, this seems the most logical choice for Cryptic.

If we can't face this fact, we should probably move on to pastures new.

I think Cryptpic made the biggest mistake in not making PvP a priority sooner. Look at DOTA 2 and LoL - All about PvP and very successful.
Now imagine if it had become a priority in season 2 - We might have been having full on International e-sport tournaments by now with real prizes and real publicity. Not "does my bum look big in this" outfits in the Zen store (Rant over...)

Hope you see what i'm getting at.
aka NazHuggyBear2

"No, there is no real problem with P2W in STO. Obviously, if you fight against someone with an equal level of skill in the game, better equipment will give you an edge. But usually, it is the skill level that determines the outcome, not the P2W." - Sprinkles

Last edited by naz4; 08-07-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Captain
# 2
08-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4 View Post
... Snip ...

If we can't face this fact, we should probably move on to pastures new.

...Snip ...

Hope you see what i'm getting at.
Waiting for Star Citizen is like waiting for Christmas as a kid, just hope it's not the piece of coal this game is.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...159-15-Million

I misread that earlier and assumed they'd already hit the 17 million mark, but if you haven't taken a look at their website it's worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPsHSpRBB04
[Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
Random Quote from Kerrat
"Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
C&H Fed banter
Captain
# 3
08-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2wsucks View Post
Waiting for Star Citizen is like waiting for Christmas as a kid, just hope it's not the piece of coal this game is.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...159-15-Million

I misread that earlier and assumed they'd already hit the 17 million mark, but if you haven't taken a look at their website it's worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPsHSpRBB04
Imagine that and Oculus Rift together - Match made in heaven
aka NazHuggyBear2

"No, there is no real problem with P2W in STO. Obviously, if you fight against someone with an equal level of skill in the game, better equipment will give you an edge. But usually, it is the skill level that determines the outcome, not the P2W." - Sprinkles
Captain
# 4
08-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Ya I have talked about that before. I think it stinks myself as well... but its pretty much what we got.

The romulan ships prove the theory... how many people are NOT running new fantastic armour + RCS units on there roms cause they just don't have the room.... or Embassy consoles...

I can't remember the last time a Rom hit me with Grave Pulse... OR AMSed me... its not that there not good... they just won't give up there valdore console for either one. lol

Honestly I like what they did with the roms that way instead of making things built into the ships they made everything a console.

Honestly I hope we see some Elite Fed and Klink ships soon that come with one part of a 2 piece ship set console. DO the same thing to the fed and klinks eat our console slots with OP toys... and people can't run everything... so it will balance out.... we might even see people swapping consoles half way through a match.
Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
Empire Veteran
# 5
08-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Career Officer
# 6
08-08-2013, 12:01 AM
I welcome to coming of Star Cit, an MMO with STO in mind that can bleed it of customers until DStahl suddenly wonders "Why are people leaving? Surely they're so happy, the feedback is always so positive!"

A properly made flight sim MMO will at least get the customers it deserves.
Career Officer
# 7
08-08-2013, 04:16 AM
is there any precedent among any perfect world/cryptic game to believe that the market value of PVP is in their philosophy?
Captain
# 8
08-08-2013, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulserazor View Post
is there any precedent among any perfect world/cryptic game to believe that the market value of PVP is in their philosophy?
PWE seems to have plenty of good pvp games...

I understand Perfect World has good pvp... Blacklight is all pvp.

Lots of us where a optimistic when PWE took over... cause they had a rep for being devs that liked to pvp themselves.

It seems they haven't push that on there Cryptic guys though.
Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
Commander
# 9
08-08-2013, 09:27 AM
They take too many shortcuts to make quick cash grabs. Balance and fun isn't necessarily easy but it certainly doesn't have to be as difficult as they make it out to be.
Super Moderator
# 10
08-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquitaine985 View Post
I welcome to coming of Star Cit, an MMO with STO in mind that can bleed it of customers until DStahl suddenly wonders "Why are people leaving? Surely they're so happy, the feedback is always so positive!"

A properly made flight sim MMO will at least get the customers it deserves.
Off-topic...

Don't count on it drawing off too many STO players outside of the PvP community. I look at that other game and the first thing that comes to my mind is Elite and Frontier.

Not a terrible game for its' time, but that doesn't mean I'm going to pay to play the reinvented version so I can haul cargo, fight pirates, and lose my shirt playing the commodities market.

Anyway, that's really off-topic and we should not derail threads about STO in order to promote some other game.

Back on topic...

I wouldn't necessarily advocate every sort of gimmick p2w console you can think of, or throwing per item balance out the airlock, but I do welcome the idea that every choice you make should involve some kind of tradeoff.

There are too many "no-brainer-gotta-have-it" things that don't really force the player to give up something good to get something else. More options, not less, and more downsides to the things you have to give up would shake things up and make builds more dynamic.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek