Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Closed Thread

Lieutenant
# 21
09-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Can we get this stickied??? I know that we'll never be able to convince PWE is a horrible waste of time and resources, but at least we can advertise that it's unnecessary.
Captain
# 22
09-02-2013, 09:34 AM
I won't ever use arc unless I'm made to and then it will be staying or leave choice I've had too many bad experiences with forced game launchers

E A springs to mind
Ensign
# 23 worked!
09-05-2013, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
I knew it wasn't going to be long before this "optional" tool was going to be rammed down everyone's throats. Fortunately I have the latest build of the game installer before Arc came on the scene and keep a big zip file of my current install.
I don't need some tool running on my computer, ripping off my bandwidth torrenting games I don't play and the minute that I can't run the game without running Arc will be the end of my STO gaming.
It does work apparently. You can install the game with this stupid Arc non-since and after its updated you can search for the program folder with STO's launcher, copy a shortcut to it and then uninstall Arc. This working fine for me now without those extra steps of moving files around. Good luck all!

-Pez
Captain
# 24
09-05-2013, 11:43 PM
I think them Chinese CEOs in black helicopters may be on to us.

Since last patch, my Arc-less install crashes on load, whereas a friend who uses Arc runs STO just fine...

Attempting to reinstall the client again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Starfleet Veteran
# 25
09-06-2013, 12:12 AM
I would just like to point out that star trek online is independent from the windows registry. You can move and copy the game files and run them from any location as long as you have write access. Even stored on a network drive. You do not have to run any other program even if it was installed by steam or arc. You only need the star trek launcher.
Ensign
# 26
09-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
I would just like to point out that star trek online is independent from the windows registry. You can move and copy the game files and run them from any location as long as you have write access. Even stored on a network drive. You do not have to run any other program even if it was installed by steam or arc. You only need the star trek launcher.
This. I have 3 computers in the house and I just copied the directory over to the other two computers (it was installed pre-Arc). Works great everywhere I run it.
Captain
# 27
09-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Great post. It's enough that I have to deal with Steam and Origin. I don't need more junk in my laptop.
Ensign
# 28
09-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Not sure what to do. Logged into STO tonite and got this Arc crammed down my throat. I didn't want Arc, but got it - it doesn't start up STO, nor is the FAQ at all useful. I do have Steam...
Should I install STO through Steam? Will that be compatible?
Should I use Fileplanet or whatever?
I read the lead-in OP but seems pretty complicated. Is that the best plan though?
Career Officer
# 29
09-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Steam and STO work perfectly so no ARC for me!

Also maybe known as "SFC3"
Ensign
# 30
09-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Is it ok to just uninstall Arc, then download STO into/through Steam?

I had STO, but all links broke when the Arc crap came on.
Closed Thread