Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Omega Weapons and ST Canon
07-25-2013, 07:50 AM
When I took a look at the Omega Plasma Torpedo Launcher, I was thinking that TFO ripped this from the Borg for use by KDF and Starfleet ships. A few weeks later, I finished watching Voyager. In the series, the anti-Borg weapons at the time were transphasic torpedoes. The Borg eventually adapted to them, but they were weapons of mass destruction against Borg ships.

Bear in mind that these torpedoes were constructed around after 2373, and the Borg adapted to the torpedoes in 2381 in a book, so they will not have as much destructive power in 2409. Regardless, shield penetration is still a major factor in the use of a transphasic torpedo.

Assuming Task Force Omega followed canon as best Cryptic could allow, and TFO's job is to provide superior anti-Borg weapons, why were transphasic torpedoes not implemented in favour of a plasma torpedo launcher with torpedo charges?
Captain
# 2
07-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Easy: Cuz the Omega Launcher is better and way cooler. It is not as if Borg have especially tough shields, so why would they need a weapon specifically to penetrate that, when just blasting away with your normal PEWPEW works fine?
Captain
# 3
07-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Assuming Task Force Omega followed canon as best Cryptic could allow, and TFO's job is to provide superior anti-Borg weapons, why were transphasic torpedoes not implemented in favour of a plasma torpedo launcher with torpedo charges?
According to the tooltips on those items, they're Borg tech that was scavenged from a unimatrix ship, rather than specifically developed to fight the borg, as with MACO/KHG/Omega and the anti-borg ground weapons from the store unlock or the old [Borg] space weapons.

They should probably just have called it "Assimilated Plasma Launcher" or "Adapted Plasma Launcher" instead of using the term "Omega"...
Captain
# 4
07-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraghul2000 View Post
According to the tooltips on those items, they're Borg tech that was scavenged from a unimatrix ship, rather than specifically developed to fight the borg, as with MACO/KHG/Omega and the anti-borg ground weapons from the store unlock or the old [Borg] space weapons.

They should probably just have called it "Assimilated Plasma Launcher" or "Adapted Plasma Launcher" instead of using the term "Omega"...
Since in the trek universe "assimilated" usually means "non-borg tech or person incorporated into the collective" I've often get the thought that the sets and items should be called "reverse-assimilated".

Then I get a healthy dose of reality and realize that is too long and sounds stupid.
Captain
# 5
08-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinruneblade View Post
Since in the trek universe "assimilated" usually means "non-borg tech or person incorporated into the collective" I've often get the thought that the sets and items should be called "reverse-assimilated".

Then I get a healthy dose of reality and realize that is too long and sounds stupid.
Liberated Borg Unimatrix Torpedo Launcher...
Well, with the upgrade announcement leaving NX and Connie fans in the dust again, can we restart / revisit the T5 Connie and NX threads - since they will no longer be "truly" endgame ships... (after we get the T5 versions, it'll be time to see them added to the T5U upgrade charts too...