Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 333
# 11
08-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Where are all of the people like you when i'm watching zone chat for new recruits?! XD

The hilbert guide is good albiet a touch out of date(the list of things that haven't been "adjusted" since it was last edited is shorter than the one of things that have)

Your problem with cruisers is a combination of the function of federation cruisers and your focus on fore weapons if you want faster turns look towards faster ships(like the excelsior) or stay away from narrow arc weapons like dual beam banks and lean more on arrays(or single cannons)

Feel free to send me a message if you have questions in game @emperordeslok
and take a look in the PESTF and OPVP chat channels as well for opinions other than mine XD
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 976
# 12
08-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiontassadar View Post
I really like the idea of flying around in a big ol' cruiser, especially since many of my favorite of the iconic Star Trek starships happen to be cruisers, but I actually have the opposite problem from you. While I can zip around and do strafing runs as an escort no problem, it always feels like I'm spending more time trying to slowly get myself turned around in a cruiser to actually bring my fore weapons to bare, while enemy ships literally fly circles around me. Maybe I just need more practice flying around in a cruiser. Also, that might be slightly less of a problem in STFs, since a few guides suggest just parking yourself and pelting enemy ships with cannon fire, anyway. This is probably even more feasible as a cruiser since, as you said, their survivability means they can just sit there and pretty much absorb the counter-attack.
Avoid carriers then.

Also, give one of your engineering slots a nice RCS module they improve your turning. Look for engines with the [turn] modification. And, in general, avoid front-firing weapons on a cruiser.

The traditional loadout is beam arrays which means you broadside while flying in a wide circle around the enemy. Then when eject warp plasma is up, you act like you're trying to ram them, but pull away passing right in front of them, and go back to circling.

Klingon battlecruisers turn much faster than fed cruisers so you CAN use cannons if you want, but it's way easier to learn with beams and migrate to cannons only with those ships that you feel you can turn properly using.

I like to get one emergency power to engines, and combined with evasive maneuvers I can pretty much always turn and zip when I need to.

Other people love the "Aux2Bat" builds which drain all your auxiliary power for a boost to everything else, then use emergency power to auxiliary to replenish it. Combined with the way certain duty officers give you a power recharge bonus this lets some builds be at max power in weapons, shields and engines at all times. But I never could handle the amount of macros and keybinds it required to make those work.

Gav iz lazy gamer who likes to click icons with the mouse not use hotkeys. =)

The Mirror Assault Cruiser is very nice fed side and you can buy them on the auction house very cheaply. Klingon-side the Negvar turns very well, and with both evasive and emergency to engines I can get some awesome powerslides that remind me of ice skating during the winter event.

When the event comes back around, do look into getting a breen chel-grett. It's half-way between an escort and a cruiser. Ugly ship, but amazing stats. holds 4 weapons front and back, turns fast enough to use cannons, has solid tactical abilities. Available to all factions. And it's free, just gotta do the ice-skating event to earn it.

The anniversary event last year gave a tier 5 version of the ambassador class (Enterprise C) which I am still using on one of my characters. Nearly the same stats as a mirror assault cruiser, but it looks like the enterprise =). Klingons get the Kamarang which is also nice.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 112
# 13
08-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Where are all of the people like you when i'm watching zone chat for new recruits?! XD
"People like me" usually don't go looking to join fleets in zone chat. We seek out fleets we might be interested in a bit more directly, where possible.

Quote:
The hilbert guide is good albiet a touch out of date(the list of things that haven't been "adjusted" since it was last edited is shorter than the one of things that have)
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and cross references its suggestions with some of the more updated guides, like the one on youtube that corjet linked.

Quote:
Feel free to send me a message if you have questions in game @emperordeslok
and take a look in the PESTF and OPVP chat channels as well for opinions other than mine XD
Thanks for the offer, and the advice!

Quote:
Avoid carriers then.

Also, give one of your engineering slots a nice RCS module they improve your turning. Look for engines with the [turn] modification. And, in general, avoid front-firing weapons on a cruiser.

The traditional loadout is beam arrays which means you broadside while flying in a wide circle around the enemy. Then when eject warp plasma is up, you act like you're trying to ram them, but pull away passing right in front of them, and go back to circling.

Klingon battlecruisers turn much faster than fed cruisers so you CAN use cannons if you want, but it's way easier to learn with beams and migrate to cannons only with those ships that you feel you can turn properly using.

I like to get one emergency power to engines, and combined with evasive maneuvers I can pretty much always turn and zip when I need to.

...

The Mirror Assault Cruiser is very nice fed side and you can buy them on the auction house very cheaply. Klingon-side the Negvar turns very well, and with both evasive and emergency to engines I can get some awesome powerslides that remind me of ice skating during the winter event.
Thanks for the cruiser advice. I was beginning to suspect that I might want to get weapons with more coverage, like the beam arrays and maybe some more turrets in the aft end. I was already using Evasive Maneuvers to come about and at least get some torpedo shots in, but obviously it's not something I can use all the time; maybe by weaving in Emergency Power to Engines as well, I can get into more of a regular pattern where I'm attacking broadside until EM, EPtE, and/or High Yield Torpedo/Other Offensive Cooldown comes off CD.

All that said, there's still something immensely gratifying about zipping around and doing strafing runs on larger ships as an escort, when compared to slowly wearing down an opponent with broadside attacks. So, even though I still like the idea of lumbering around in a big ol' cruiser, and maybe all that advice might make it even more gratifying, I still might end up having an escort or another character with an escort on hand, for when I'm feeling like a change of pace.

Quote:
Gav iz lazy gamer who likes to click icons with the mouse not use hotkeys. =)
Heh, I hear that. I do hotkey some of the abilities I use more often, but otherwise, yeah, I tend to click pretty much everything else, too. It seems like one can get away with it a bit more in this game, compared to other MMOs, since, even when darting about in an escort, the space combat usually tends to have a bit of a slower, more strategic pace to it.

Quote:
When the event comes back around, do look into getting a breen chel-grett. It's half-way between an escort and a cruiser. Ugly ship, but amazing stats. holds 4 weapons front and back, turns fast enough to use cannons, has solid tactical abilities. Available to all factions. And it's free, just gotta do the ice-skating event to earn it.

The anniversary event last year gave a tier 5 version of the ambassador class (Enterprise C) which I am still using on one of my characters. Nearly the same stats as a mirror assault cruiser, but it looks like the enterprise =). Klingons get the Kamarang which is also nice.
Ooh, thanks for cluing me into those events; I'll have to keep any eye out for them throughout the year. I'm a weirdo who actually likes the design of Breen ships (ever since they showed up back during DS9), so I'll definitely look out for that event in particular.


And once again, thanks for all the tips and advice in general, guys!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 112
# 14
08-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Another question, related to some of the more recent advice:

A lot of the ship suggestions have been either Federation or Klingon, but (as my avatar might hint at), I'm actually a Romulan fan. Now, I know Romulans can use Federation or Klingon vessels as well, depending on who they side with, and I also know that the actual selection of available Romulan warbirds is VERY limited currently, but I was still wondering if anyone knew how any of the Romulan ships stacked up compared to their Fed and Klingon counterparts.

For example, my first experience of flying cruisers in STO actually came from flying the D'deridex warbird and whatever the name of the next cruiser up from that is; the one you can get at the Sub-Admiral I rank. Is that part of the reason why I was left with such a poor opinion of their turn rate? Are the Romulan cruisers especially cumbersome when compared to their Federation or Klingon equivalents?

Last edited by furiontassadar; 08-10-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 165
# 15
08-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Excellent! Excellent! Especially about the Fleets!

Oh! I think I mentioned this is a different thread, but if you can - grab the Romulan Starter pack! It's more than worth the $24.99 - IF you can! It'll give you the T'Varo Light Warbird, T'Varo Light Warbird Retrofit and Liberated Borg Reman Bridge Officer. The great thing is that after you've hit 50 and if you're in a fleet thats Tier 1 and you have enough fleet credits you can buy the Fleet T'Varo for just 1 Fleet Ship Module. Another valuable thing about the pack is that you get free skill respec tokens for each time you level! That in itself is probably the best value of it.

Anyway - if you do start a Romulan type person - don't do any DOff missions till after "Mine Enemy." Last I checked there's a bug where a valuable DOff "Rai" will not join if you have any "DOff missions" completed. You can start them, just don't collect the reward. As for the Romulan storyline - it's like nothing STO has done before that I know about. I actually really like it!
FYI: Not all escorts have to swoop, shoot and scoot! <G> I'm a "Stand-Toe-To-Toe" type escort type person. It's best done with an Engineering Captain. For myself - I find that an Engineering Captain is the best for me because of the survivability of the abilities they have. The Tactical Captain does get a significant boost to DPS, but to me: "If your dead your DPS/Time Over Target/Total War Time drops dramatically, essentially to zero till you get back into the fray." So if you swoop, shoot and scoot - total time over target, total wartime is minimal - but can be invaluable!

As for skills - and it's an important part - look over the layouts, many are similar with some having variations. I do like the Aux2EBat! I'll use a weapons battery for initial engagement, but for a sustained battle then I'll use an Aux battery, then Aux2EBat.
I love the tractor beam mines! Their effectiveness is increased with Aux power, so I drop them, then Aux2EBat and fire away as I slowly backup in hopes that they'll activate on the right target (right in front of me). So it only costs me 1 BOff skill <G> for a tactic that can 'pin' your enemies. Oh yeah - they do kinetic damage to-boot.

Anyway - this is getting way too long! Generally you can go through the first 20 levels pretty much with what ever you get. It's only after that or so - that you'll actually need all this info...
So - if you have any problems, questions or concerns, post, message, etc them to 'us' and have a nice day!

"Hotbar" - OH! Looks like it took me all that time to post... Anyway - your hotbar abilities can 'overlap' in that say for instance you have tactical team and engineering team... If you hit one or the other, the timer for the other will start! That's a very important part of a decent ability layout! I myself don't know much and have asked for advice about such. And I've been sticking with that.

Last edited by corjet; 08-10-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: EDIT: Added "Hotbar"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 165
# 16
08-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Endgame PVE? It's just Shoot A then B then C. As an added 'challenge ' you could say 'don't die while your doing it'. But that's about it. Ridiculously one dimensional.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 976
# 17
08-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiontassadar View Post
Another question, related to some of the more recent advice:

A lot of the ship suggestions have been either Federation or Klingon, but (as my avatar might hint at), I'm actually a Romulan fan. Now, I know Romulans can use Federation or Klingon vessels as well, depending on who they side with, and I also know that the actual selection of available Romulan warbirds is VERY limited currently, but I was still wondering if anyone knew how any of the Romulan ships stacked up compared to their Fed and Klingon counterparts.

For example, my first experience of flying cruisers in STO actually came from flying the D'deridex warbird and whatever the name of the next cruiser up from that is; the one you can get at the Sub-Admiral I rank. Is that part of the reason why I was left with such a poor opinion of their turn rate? Are the Romulan cruisers especially cumbersome when compared to their Federation or Klingon equivalents?
Romulans get singularity cores instead of warp cores, this means at base all of your power settings are 40 instead of 50, but you get the nifty powers. If you run a romulan ship then you absolutely want to pick up a plasmonic leech console. Fed aligned can get them off the auction house, but klingons need to spend zen to unlock the ship that has them (I forget which off hand), but at least once unlocked it is account wide for all klingons and kling-alinged rommies. This with even a little bit of investment in flow capacitor skill can get you +20-30 in all power categories.

Rommie cruisers are also much more dependent on battle cloak for the damage and turn bonus. For example in a DD you uncloak and blast away, then recloak to get a big turn and speed bonus, re-align, uncloak and get the damage bonus while you blast away again. If you try to act like a fed or klingon cruiser you end up moving slower and hitting weaker.

But I do have one DD and I love it. I have not tried the other Rommie cruisers or the scimitar as the D'dridex is the romulan ship I wanted to fly the most.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 165
# 18
08-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Oh! The Bridge Officers BOff's for Romulans have traits suited for the cloaking and attacking. You'll definitely want to look those over. Reman's and Romulans get the Subterfuge (Almost a given), Romulans CAN have Romulan Operative (a bit rare), Space Warfare Specialist (Extremely Rare?) and Remans CAN have a Infiltrator (Fairly rare) trait; each of the three will stack, but not if they're the same! There's basic, "normal" without any prefix and then Superior traits. I have only seen D'vex for a Romulan with the Space Warfare Specialist trait and it was basic at that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 112
# 19
08-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Oh! I think I mentioned this is a different thread, but if you can - grab the Romulan Starter pack! It's more than worth the $24.99 - IF you can! It'll give you the T'Varo Light Warbird, T'Varo Light Warbird Retrofit and Liberated Borg Reman Bridge Officer. The great thing is that after you've hit 50 and if you're in a fleet thats Tier 1 and you have enough fleet credits you can buy the Fleet T'Varo for just 1 Fleet Ship Module. Another valuable thing about the pack is that you get free skill respec tokens for each time you level! That in itself is probably the best value of it.
I'll keep all that in mind should I ever find myself with an extra $25 to spend....

Quote:
Anyway - if you do start a Romulan type person - don't do any DOff missions till after "Mine Enemy." Last I checked there's a bug where a valuable DOff "Rai" will not join if you have any "DOff missions" completed. You can start them, just don't collect the reward
I already managed to get Rai, so either they fixed that bug or I got lucky.

Quote:
As for the Romulan storyline - it's like nothing STO has done before that I know about. I actually really like it
I know, I was really impressed with it as well. I've been pleasantly surprised by how good the storyline in STO has been in general, at times.

Quote:
FYI: Not all escorts have to swoop, shoot and scoot! <G> I'm a "Stand-Toe-To-Toe" type escort type person. It's best done with an Engineering Captain. For myself - I find that an Engineering Captain is the best for me because of the survivability of the abilities they have. The Tactical Captain does get a significant boost to DPS, but to me: "If your dead your DPS/Time Over Target/Total War Time drops dramatically, essentially to zero till you get back into the fray." So if you swoop, shoot and scoot - total time over target, total wartime is minimal - but can be invaluable!
That's actually the idea I was leaning towards as well: an Engineering captain in a escort, for some extra survivability in a pinch. But I'm thinking I might give cruisers another try first, using some of the advice I've picked up in this thread.

Quote:
As for skills - and it's an important part - look over the layouts, many are similar with some having variations. I do like the Aux2EBat! I'll use a weapons battery for initial engagement, but for a sustained battle then I'll use an Aux battery, then Aux2EBat.
I love the tractor beam mines! Their effectiveness is increased with Aux power, so I drop them, then Aux2EBat and fire away as I slowly backup in hopes that they'll activate on the right target (right in front of me). So it only costs me 1 BOff skill <G> for a tactic that can 'pin' your enemies. Oh yeah - they do kinetic damage to-boot.
I'll have to experiment with that whole Auxiliary to Battery trick at some point myself, it seems. And I did hang on to the tractor mines from the Cutting the Cord mission, since at least one of the STF guides I glanced through mentioned that they would be useful.

Quote:
"Hotbar" - OH! Looks like it took me all that time to post... Anyway - your hotbar abilities can 'overlap' in that say for instance you have tactical team and engineering team... If you hit one or the other, the timer for the other will start! That's a very important part of a decent ability layout! I myself don't know much and have asked for advice about such. And I've been sticking with that.
I learned about that the hard way myself recently. It seems like you just have to time when you use them right. For example, it seems like Tactical Team is good to pop at the start of a fight, and usually Engineering or Science Team will be off the shared CD by the time you actually need them later on in a fight. Also, while Tactical Team seems like it's a must have in a lot of builds I've seen, you can probably get away with using BOFF abilities other than Engineering or Science Team and roughly achieve the same desired effects, if you don't want to worry about juggling the shared cooldown.

Quote:
Anyway - this is getting way too long! Generally you can go through the first 20 levels pretty much with what ever you get. It's only after that or so - that you'll actually need all this info...So - if you have any problems, questions or concerns, post, message, etc them to 'us' and have a nice day!
Thanks again for all the advice! And don't worry; thanks to all of the positive feedback here, I'm definitely even less shy about asking questions now!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 112
# 20
08-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Romulans get singularity cores instead of warp cores, this means at base all of your power settings are 40 instead of 50, but you get the nifty powers. If you run a romulan ship then you absolutely want to pick up a plasmonic leech console. Fed aligned can get them off the auction house, but klingons need to spend zen to unlock the ship that has them (I forget which off hand), but at least once unlocked it is account wide for all klingons and kling-alinged rommies. This with even a little bit of investment in flow capacitor skill can get you +20-30 in all power categories.
Heh, guess I'm even more glad I allied with the Federation now. I'll have to keep an eye out for that console on the Exchange. It's an Engineering console, I assume?

Quote:
Rommie cruisers are also much more dependent on battle cloak for the damage and turn bonus. For example in a DD you uncloak and blast away, then recloak to get a big turn and speed bonus, re-align, uncloak and get the damage bonus while you blast away again. If you try to act like a fed or klingon cruiser you end up moving slower and hitting weaker.
I actually experimented with using the Battle Cloak a bit more often in a Romulan cruiser, specifically for the turn bonus, but I always worried about the free hits that I'd be giving an enemy ship while my shields dropped as I cloaked. Any advice there? Or should I not be as worried about eating some of that extra damage/simply be smarter about when I use the cloak?

Quote:
But I do have one DD and I love it. I have not tried the other Rommie cruisers or the scimitar as the D'dridex is the romulan ship I wanted to fly the most.
Yeah, the D'deridex is the Romulan ship I was most looking foreword to flying around in as well. Again, it's one of my favorites of the iconic Star Trek ships; it's what I think of whenever I think "Romulan ship". So, I was kind of disappointed when I couldn't seem to handle it as well as some of the smaller Romulan ships, but again, maybe I just need to give it another try, armed with some advice about how cruisers should be handled in general.

Okay, so I also really want to get my hands on a Scimitar as well, but that's a little out of my price range right now....
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11 AM.