Captain
# 1 Regarding Stealth Detection
08-12-2013, 07:47 PM
I'm curious as to one aspect of PvP: Stealth and stealth detection. I have a few questions:
  • What can a player do to increase their stealth rating? (spec, consoles, boffs, etc)
  • What can a player do to increase their Stealth Detection?
  • How can one calculate the amount of stealth detection needed to overcome most cloaked ships' Stealth ratings and allow the player to see the cloaked ship?
  • Are there any sort of cheese associated with either stealth or stealth detection that can skew the answers to the above?

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Retired STO Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
PvP: PvP Boot Camp, the best newbie oriented training initiative in STO!
Captain
# 2
08-12-2013, 07:52 PM
all your questions have 1 answers:

U can't do nothing

In the past, stheath detection was important, now with the romulan boffs that increase stealth, there is no point in spect your ship for detect them. The best u can do is use skills like gravity well for uncloack ships.
John Sheridan@playhard88 - FED Tactical
Vin Naftero@playhard88 - FED Sciencie
K'tan@playhard88 - KDF Tactical
Argento@playhard88 - RRF Tactical (FED)
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardestroyer001 View Post
  • How can one calculate the amount of stealth detection needed to overcome most cloaked ships' Stealth ratings and allow the player to see the cloaked ship?
Borticus (a dev) was kind enough to post an explanation of the math behind stealth here. The simple formula is:

(Perception - Stealth) / 50 = Viewable Distance [in km]

For example, to see a player with 5000 stealth at a distance of 1 km, you would need to have 5050 perception. Higher perception and/or lower stealth means you can see them farther away; higher stealth and/or lower perception means you have to get closer to see them (or can't see them at all).

Perception is derived from your Stealth Detection Rating (SDR, also known as Stealth Sight) as follows:

Perception = 5000 + SDR / 2

Every ship starts out with 5000 base perception. Every two points of SDR increases perception by 1.

Quote:
  • What can a player do to increase their stealth rating? (spec, consoles, boffs, etc)
The easiest way to increase stealth rating is to increase your aux power. As Bort noted here, each unit of power in aux is +1 to your stealth rating. (e.g. 50 aux power = +50 stealth).

Another way to increase stealth rating is to spec into the Starship Stealth skill. This table (admittedly a bit old) implies that 100 points in the Starship Stealth skill is equal to +50 stealth rating. [9 ranks in Starship Stealth skill = 99 points in Starship Stealth skill]

There are other ways to improve your stealth rating such as Rom boffs, unfortunately I'm not as familiar with those. Someone else might be able to give you an answer regarding them.

As an aside, you can also try to decrease the perception of your enemies; AMS and Theta Radiation are examples of consoles that do this.

Quote:
  • What can a player do to increase their Stealth Detection?
The easiest way to improve your SDR is to improve your aux power. Most ships receive +10 SDR for each 25 aux power. (e.g. 100 aux = +40 SDR; again, numbers are thanks to Bort) Science ships receive 3x the bonus SDR; they get +30 SDR for each 25 aux power. (100 aux = +120 SDR)

Another way to improve your SDR is to spec into the Starship Sensors skill. Unfortunately, I don't have good numbers for this.

A great ability against cloakers is the Science captain's Sensor Scan ability. It diminishes the stealth rating of all enemies near your target, as well as improving your own perception. (It also applies a -resistance debuff on enemies, to boot!)

Finally, there are a few consoles you can use to improve your SDR. Anything boosting the Starship Sensors skill will, in turn, boost your SDR. For example, a fairly useful console is the Tachyon Detection Field console, which comes with the Nebula refit. It provides a passive bonus to Sensors, and when activated improves StealthSight and Sensors skill. The Nebula retrofit also comes with a good console that can improve the entire team's SDR, but that console is locked to the ship.

Quote:
  • Are there any sort of cheese associated with either stealth or stealth detection that can skew the answers to the above?
As far as I know, everything affecting stealth or perception follows the math above. That said, there are probably things that are too strong/too weak; others can probably give you a better idea of what those are.
Resist viewer! See shield/hull resists! Read about it here!

Last edited by renimalt; 08-12-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Career Officer
# 4
08-13-2013, 01:19 AM
Mind asploded.
Captain
# 5
08-13-2013, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by playhard88 View Post
all your questions have 1 answers:

U can't do nothing

In the past, stheath detection was important, now with the romulan boffs that increase stealth, there is no point in spect your ship for detect them. The best u can do is use skills like gravity well for uncloack ships.
EPtA1 provides 150 Perception.
EPtA1 also provides 5 Perception (boost from +26.2 Aux Power for non-Sci).
A VR Conn(TT +Accuracy/+Perception) DOFF has a 20% chance to add +100 Perception (as well as +5% Accuracy) - these can stack (3x VR, 20% chance to add +300 Perception and +15% Accuracy).
A Jem Mk XI Deflector adds 75 Perception.
6 in Sensors adds 63 Perception.
50 Aux (non-Sci) adds 10 Perception.
Astrophysicist provides 7.5 Perception.

That's up to 5610.5 Perception without a Sensor Scan or any Sensor Probe consoles while in a non-Sci boat.

vs. 5500 Stealth: 2.21km
vs. 5400 Stealth: 4.21km
vs. 5300 Stealth: 6.21km
vs. 5200 Stealth: 8.21km
vs. 5100 Stealth: 10.21km
vs. 5000 Stealth: 12.21km

(remember that 5 pips/100 singularity charge debuffs Stealth by 400)
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
I.S.S. Arcadia, Stargazer-class Mirror Universe Heavy Cruiser Retrofit
Commander
# 6
08-13-2013, 01:31 AM
U cant do anything. Triple tap incoming!
That's what's so great about HoBOs. We are not just 5 or 6 competent players, we are a fleet full of badass mother****ers that will PUNISH THE FEDs until their index fingers are worn to the bone from clicking the respawn button over and over! Q'pla!
Career Officer
# 7
08-13-2013, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
A VR Conn(TT +Accuracy/+Perception) DOFF has a 20% chance to add +100 Perception (as well as +5% Accuracy) - these can stack (3x VR, 20% chance to add +300 Perception and +15% Accuracy).

That's up to 5610.5 Perception without a Sensor Scan or any Sensor Probe consoles while in a non-Sci boat.

I vote this as the best answer. Aux is the best thing and stacking these perception ratings on these pieces of gear will help out tremendously. As a sci I approve. I have the omega MK XI and I see stealth ships all the time.
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.
Captain
# 8
08-13-2013, 05:19 AM
Very useful informations here, ty
| CSI - Confederazione Stellare Italiana | @NandoPC |
Captain
# 9
08-13-2013, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renimalt View Post
Finally, there are a few consoles you can use to improve your SDR. Anything boosting the Starship Sensors skill will, in turn, boost your SDR. For example, a fairly useful console is the Tachyon Detection Field console, which comes with the Nebula refit. It provides a passive bonus to Sensors, and when activated improves StealthSight and Sensors skill.
First off, a big thank you Renim for the wealth of information you've provided. It truly is appreciated!

Regarding the Nebula Refit console, does that console work while the player's ship is cloaked? ie, using that console can help me see other cloaked ships while I myself am cloaked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post

Darn, and I sold my Suliban doff with that trait last night -.- Time to buy another one.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Retired STO Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
PvP: PvP Boot Camp, the best newbie oriented training initiative in STO!
Rihannsu
# 10
08-13-2013, 05:37 AM
Hmm.. here is a good question concerning both Stealth and Stealth sight..

Can you "Over-cap" Aux, like you can "Over-cap" Weapon Power, to any significant level to continue to improve Stealth And/or Stealth Sight? (For example Using EPTA 1 +26.2 to Aux while at 125 Aux [Equaling 151.2 Aux])?
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku