Ensign
# 1 Galaxy X vs Excelsior
08-13-2013, 04:24 AM
Hi everyone,

I am Rounding up my builds + ships for my characters and I am stuck with my last character (PVE builds).

I've got an Klingon tact. with a DHC A2B MU Vorcha.
And a Fed Sci that is going to have a Vesta soon with some torpedo's on it (nebula was an option, but the Vesta is just better imo).

Now I am looking for a beamboat A2B.
Like the title says, the 2 ships I am looking at are the Galaxy X (the retro just is to bad), and the Excelsior.

If you look at the pross and conns.
The Gal X has more crew/hull/the lance.
The Excelsior has better turnrate/inertia/is cheaper.

When I was looking for a possible build, the Gal X loses an Bfaw3 and gets a Bfaw1, but it gains an EWP1 over an ET1.

This is what my Boffs would look like on a Gal X.

Lt tac: TT1, APB1
En tac: BFAW1
Com eng: EptW1, A2B1, RSP2, DEM3
LtC eng: EptS1, A2B1, EWP1
Lt Sci: HE1, TSS2

This is the Excel.

LtC tac: TT1, APB1, BFAW3
Com eng: EptW1, A2B1, RSP2, DEM3
LtC eng: EptS1, A2B1
En eng: Et1
Lt Sci: HE1, TSS2

I don't know if the difference between Bfaw 1 and 3 is that big.
I do know that EWP1 is alot more usefull than ET1 when you are allready cycling TT1.

But with the Excel I may be able to get a fleet version in some time, and buying the normal 1 saves my buying some fleetmodules if I'm right.

I like the looks of both (like the normal Galaxy even more, but don't need to start the discussion of that ship here).

Your opinions on the ships would be nice, since I have no experience playing anyone of them.

Thanks in advance!
Miscent
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
08-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Have you considered the Regent? The Assault Refit while it's console is garbage the Torpedo is fantastic (180 Quantum).

It comes with Commander Eng, Lt Eng, Lt.Com Tac, Ens Tac & a Uni Lt.

You could run the Excelsior build but replace the Ens with a Torpedo skill (remember you'll get a quantum that can broardside) or a Beam overload.

The only flaw in your ship design is the lack of a way out of Tractor Beams. Also are you running Marion? If not DEM may not be worth running.

As for the Gal X, try out the Mirror Assault (very cheap to get) and remember the Gal X turns worse and is kind of locked to Phasers (The Phaser Lance).

Owning a T5 ship gets you a 3 module discount on it's Fleet version.

I feel the Normal Assault is better than the Gal X, and every T5 Cruiser is better than the Gal R. Since you have a Klingon you probably don't have a desperate desire for a cloaking device on a fed ship.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Captain
# 3
08-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
08-13-2013, 07:47 AM
Get the Sovvie-R instead. Or if you had to choose at gunpoint between the Galaxy-X or the Excelsior, get the Excelsior.
Commander
# 5
08-13-2013, 07:55 AM
I own the excel and you can certainly feel the turn rate difference, as far as the phaser lance goes as a weapon most of the time you can write it off I've been hit broadside with it from an old fleetmate with my excel and took a 1% hull hit(really 100>99 not worth using the damn thing)

One thing to consider is the higher turn rate and lt.com tac allows the use of cannon abilities like CSV2. for STFs plasma single cannons do a hell of a lot of damage with turrets aft, KCB aft for the set bonus.
Captain
# 6
08-13-2013, 08:08 AM
I do see alot of GalX and Excel. It really depends on play style. No regent, that is the worst Zen ship they made after Gal Retro. THe standard sovie with the right build rocks and Ambassador retro is also good.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
08-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralq1732 View Post
I do see alot of GalX and Excel. It really depends on play style. No regent, that is the worst Zen ship they made after Gal Retro.
No it wasn't.
Captain
# 8
08-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Allow me to step back in. I am a huge fan of the Spinal Lance conceptually but I am one step away from committing to purchasing and using the Gal-X due to the requirements using the ship demands (based on Wiki - http://sto.gamepedia.com/Dreadnought_Cruiser). Ultimately, its not my playstyle.

OP, as an option, you could log onto Tribble and play with both to test it yourself. Numbers are just a part of the equation, experience is another. I have experience with the Excelsior and the Sovereign and *I* think the Excelsior is better ... but only by ->.<- that much. So, if the Excelsior beats the Sovvy, then it sure beats the Galaxy (in any form) ... imo.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Ensign
# 9
08-13-2013, 10:18 AM
As for the regent, I don't intend to use torpedo's so I can put the skillpoints elsewhere.
So that 1 drops.

I have the klingon cruiser to play with cannons, and want this cruiser to use beams.
Single cannons do work in STF's on the excel indeed, but its not the way I want to use it.

Didn't think about being locked to phasers with the Gal X because of the lance, thats a real drawback IMO.

I have a Mirror assault cruiser ATM, don't like the looks, but got it working pretty good.

I also intend to get marion to get the DEM working.
Going to need some EC for it first...

In PVE you can get out of tractor beams with evasive manouvers.
If I ever decide to pvp I'll make the SCI PH1, HE2.
Miscent
Captain
# 10
08-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Well, the Mirror AC's looks can be changed. It's a VERY good alternative to the Regent as a test bed: the only difference is the BOff layout and weapons with the purchase.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene