Career Officer
# 11
08-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Excelsior, the Gal-X has the potential for absolutely devastating alpha's but to do it you have to sacrifice a lot and it becomes a very niche build. I can pop Excelsiors in one alpha with the Gal-X but if I fail then the Excelsior will probably win in a 1v1. So as it stands I think the Excelsior is still the best all round tac cruiser and comes with built in transwarp to boot.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Finally the KDF get a real killer ship:[Combat (Self)] Your Enhanced Bio-Molecular Photon Torpedo - High Yield III deals 229218 (73803) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to Gateway.
Captain
# 12
08-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
No it wasn't.
it's ugly, it's console is in essence eject warp plasma and the torp alone isn't worht the price. the thing is too expensive.

I'm waiting for a Sovie retrofit with saucer sep.
Career Officer
# 13
08-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscent View Post
In PVE you can get out of tractor beams with evasive manouvers.
If I ever decide to pvp I'll make the SCI PH1, HE2.
Wait. Not to get too off-topic (my apologies!), but does evasive maneuvers actually break you out of the tractor beam (and the associated damage) or is it just that it makes you so maneuverable that you're, in essence, not being held by it?
Commander
# 14
08-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valinsterling View Post
Wait. Not to get too off-topic (my apologies!), but does evasive maneuvers actually break you out of the tractor beam (and the associated damage) or is it just that it makes you so maneuverable that you're, in essence, not being held by it?
the second bit, you're still in the tractor but you get turning/moving fast enough it's not as much of a problem
Captain
# 15
08-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralq1732 View Post
Egads ... please, no. Heck, I don't know why the Gal-X is wanted to have one either.

Back on topic: I totally forgot that the Excelsior not only turns great, it's the most maneuverable in the galaxy ... literally.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 16
08-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralq1732 View Post
it's ugly,
Its a Costume.

Quote:
it's console is in essence eject warp plasma and the torp alone isn't worht the price. the thing is too expensive.
Who cares about that?
BO Seating is superior to the Excelsior since the Ensign station is locked to Tactical were its of use instead on Engineering .

Quote:
I hope you are sitting down ...
Former Star Trek Online Player
Captain
# 17
08-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
Egads ... please, no. Heck, I don't know why the Gal-X is wanted to have one either.

Back on topic: I totally forgot that the Excelsior not only turns great, it's the most maneuverable in the galaxy ... literally.
I agrre that GalX shouldn't have it. I beieve it gave that up for lance. but the sovie is capable
of saucer sep.
Ensign
# 18
08-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Well thanks for all the feedback about the ships (and the different options).
I'm leaning towards the Excelsior at the moment.
If that Ensign was uni it would have been awesome.

The Sovy refit would have been my choise if i wanted to use a torpedo.
Now 3 tactical ability's are enough with an A2B.

Someone said the Ambassador.
Its not that bad, vs the GalX it loses the EWP1 and gains a PH1/TB1 and the HE+TSS go up a level.
So it takes away a hold but gains a ability to get rid of TB's.
EWP comes in handy when you have a bad pug and you need to slow some raptors or sphere's down to save the optional.

I'm on my way with the zengrind, so I have a bit of time left to make my final decision.
Miscent

Last edited by miscent; 08-13-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Captain
# 19
08-13-2013, 01:44 PM
The Ambassador is a solid ship. I gave a it whirl for about a week and just couldn't get over the *look* of the ship. I don't even think about it, but I've read some real love for this ship elsewhere. I'll now recommend you give it a try as well because ... why not?

Look around here and you'll find some really good builds for the T5 Ambassador.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-13-2013, 02:03 PM
For maximum damage the wide angle torpedo is way better than another beam. Beams do drain power alot and low power means less damage. And torpedos cant get switched offline by the phaser proc or the disruption torpedos those tholians sling around.
However the romulan experimental beam does not drain power so its an option instead of torpedos but only it only does its max damage when boosted by plasma consoles, wich would be useless for the lance on the Gal-X.
Drain becomes very apperent when you do 7 or 8 beams. Actually in most cases 7 beams is better than 8. I still recomend 6 because its only marginaly less damage than youd do with 7 beams and your energy recover is faster so overall youll do same or more damage. id put in torps. I use the wide angle torp in front and another quantum in the rear.
Those are very fast so you can use a shield gap very efficiently. combined with torpspread 2 or 3 its devastating against groups of targets.

And to get high dps out of beamboats youll want to use attacks that do damage to multiple targets.
Youll want high rate of fire combined with multiple target abilities and a high crit rate.
That wil push your dps into the stratosphere.

If you can use an Auxilliary to battery built combined with 3 technitian doffs. That cuts your cooldown alot and youll have high speed , strong shields and high weaponspower plus doubled Boff abilities.

But if you do that the Galaxy looses out compared to the Excelsior.
The Excelsior gives you a Lt Cmdr Tac.
And in an Excelsior with 2 abilities bound to the A2B abilities that 3rd ensign can be of some use. I use EPtS, EPtW and ET1. Sure ET1 chares cooldown with TT1 but its good if combined with RSP to recover.
So imho its more usefull than another tac ensign on the regent.
Most will tell you TT1, FAW2,APO is the way to go but i disagree. TT1,TS2,FAW3 will do more damage and does it constantly.
The ability to break tractors is not bad but Polarize hull can do that to as well as evasive manouvers and deuterium surplus.
You have a cruiser wich can take RSP3 with reduced cooldown so you can tank those few seconds your tractored.
On the Regent you can do TT1, APB1(orAPD1),FAW3 plus TS1. But APB is only ussefull against single targets (wich contradicts the most efficient BOFF abilities for a beamboat) and APD is only usefull in crowd contole wich is a good combination but uptime is low and upping TS1 to TS2 is more usefull.

The Tac ensign on the Regent might be used for BO1 or attacking subsystems but beam overload drains weapons energy alot so its only usefull for finishing off someone but BO1 is rather too weak to to that.

So Excelsior is better than the Regent imho. And far better than the Galaxy X.

The Galaxy X is best used as a first strike weapon or a simple beamboat tank with the occasional beam lance attack.
But you only have 9 console and 1 is taken by the cloak if you want most alpha power. Its turnrate is low and its layout contradicts its most usefull tactics.
It can be made to work in a rather specialized way and it can excell in that role but its far from what the Excelsior can do.
Cruisers ftw!