Commander
# 61
09-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulserazor View Post
Combat logs only record what is happening on the field within a limited radius from the source's log by the way - not the whole map.

And my original comment still stands - What if I only want to post my 'great matches' - most legit leaderboards are filled with boosters and cheaters .- This one will be the easiest of them all to stat pad on, cuz its about as legit as a an electoral college.

this quaint little 'leaderboard' is a stat *****'s dream. - enjoy.
I was in a match earlier and got booted at like 5 mins in, couldnt get back in. i had a 1,000 rating or less for that match because someone else was runnin it.

Career Officer
# 62
09-08-2013, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkeychnk5 View Post
I was in a match earlier and got booted at like 5 mins in, couldnt get back in. i had a 1,000 rating or less for that match because someone else was runnin it.
Good news, everyone: I have added a "late entry / disconnect" detection. Currently it's not yet being used to filter the results, but with the latest client version I collect this information for future use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panserbjorne39 View Post
There's something bugging me. And please correct me if I'm wrong but the program only logs 5v5 matches, right? Well it's happened quite a bit that I'm trying to get my two matches in for the day on a particular character and either a. I end up in a 4v4 or 5v4 etc. or b. someone logs off in the middle of the match. So I may have an excellent match, with great stats, followed by one that just doesn't show which may also have been a good match or maybe not. So as far as the board is concerned, unless I keep playing now for a third match, which I might not be able to do depending on time and the Q's, my first match is pointless.
I suppose I could change the team detection algorihm to work outside of 5v5 and detect whether it was 4v4 or 5v3 or such, but I'm afraid that the rating algorithm will not really work for that and give weird results. Going from 5v5 to 4v4 or 3v3 changes the balance of healing and damage (you can focus all damage, but you can focus only a part of the heals) and thus the weighting of the different aspects would probably be off.
It is not entirely impossible to do, but unlikely for the near future.

(Note: If someone logs off mid-match or enters late, the match will still count as long as the total number of players is 10.)

Quote:
Can you change the daily requirement to one match per day?
I don't see this happening. If I reduce the requirement for the daily list to 1, there is a high chance that the top spots will be filled by "one match wonders" with exceptional scores.
Note that you can always see your personal scores for individual matches by filtering the list by your handle and then select a character to see your 25 most recent matches.

Quote:
On another topic, is there any way to differentiate between assists and direct kills and give points for each?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by assists? Many assist-related things like shieldstripping via CPB/TachBeam and of course SNB are not visible in the log and thus cannot be used for the rating.
Theoretically one could extract enough information from the log to tell whether a PSW or tractor was useful for a kill, but this is very difficult and considering that SNB-support for a kill has the biggest impact by a wide margin and isn't visible in the log, I don't think that such a detection system would be worth the required work.
http://hilbertguide.com
Career Officer
# 63
09-08-2013, 05:13 AM
hilbert help..... everyONE got a 0 score lol
http://hilbertguide.com/leaderboard/...08%2013:31:51&
Commander
# 64
09-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the reply.

In the leaderboard/clients present state, and as someone who PUG's quite a bit, I'd estimate about 25% of my matches do not make to the board due to the 5v5 thing.
I understand about the 2 match minimum. It makes sense. And I think if the program could recognize outside of 5v5 this would be much less of an issue.
Not to boast, but just as an example, I had a totally random 3v3 from the public Q last night that went 15-8 and was all accounts a fun, challenging match. Gareb performed well and had over 2,000,000 in heals and great Utility. It would've been a great match to add to the board.

As to assists, I was talking specifically about instances where SNB and other Sci powers that contributed to a kill getting points. Also, any instance where direct damage done by weapons fire that contributed to the kill.
I'm thinking that the Style penalty point criteria are too subjective in its current form. Without a complete list of consoles, powers, etc that receive penalties someone may inadvertently reduce their score. This is a tough one because what one person considers cheesy another does not. Do you have a complete list of what receives penalties that we can all look at and take a vote on or something? An example would be Subspace Jumper and Singularity powers, I would think they would get a penalty. Do they?
Maybe Style could be replaced by Assists?
I know you said it's only a small amount in the grand scheme but as a competitive detail oriented player, these things are all important.

Cool things that could be added:

-Highest Crit hit of the day and week
-Longest kill streaks
-Top ten team players that had best combined average cross heals/kills
Captain
# 65
09-09-2013, 03:32 PM
not to rain on any parades here because im very very happy some is doing something about this game...

but at what point would this combat log thingy violate the TOS? i mean, at what point in the data collections is too far?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Lt. Commander
# 66
09-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Quote:
As to assists, I was talking specifically about instances where SNB and other Sci powers that contributed to a kill getting points. Also, any instance where direct damage done by weapons fire that contributed to the kill.
I'm sure Hilbert could probably go in to better detail as to exactly how his assist points are calculated, but one really important thing to remember is that this scoreboard (and anything else that collects info from the combat log) can only count what's listed in the combat log.

For something to appear in the combat log, it has to either do damage or give heals. While things like Tractor Beam, Grav Well, PSW, etc. deal damage and show up in the combat log, abilities like SNB, Sensor Scan, Energy Siphon, etc. don't show; there's currently no way for a combat log parser to know that they've been used. In addition, shield drain effects do not show in the combat log right now.

As a result, Science (and to a lesser degree, Eng) skills tend to be hard to detect. I'd certainly like to be able to gather that information from a match (and I'm sure that Hilbert would too), but unfortunately there's no current method of doing that.

Quote:
An example would be Subspace Jumper and Singularity powers, I would think they would get a penalty. Do they?
Again, Hilbert can probably explain his style calculation, but it's important to note stuff like the Subspace Jump won't show up in the combat log, because they deal no damage.
Resist viewer! See shield/hull resists! Read about it here!
Commander
# 67
09-10-2013, 12:40 AM
Ok. Renim, thanks for the clarification. I have no clue how this stuff works...
Career Officer
# 68
09-10-2013, 12:41 AM
The current ranking algorithm (as of 2013-09-08) in more detail:

http://hilbertguide.com/leaderboard/ranking.html

Note that this changes very quickly as I test new approaches. In particular the current approach makes comparatively little use of the new team detection feature; this is something I intend to change, or at least test whether a change improves the quality of the rating.
http://hilbertguide.com
Captain
# 69
09-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Ok. Renim, thanks for the clarification. I have no clue how this stuff works...
It's ok, neither does cryptic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Captain
# 70
09-14-2013, 06:14 AM
Hilbert should arrange the graph like how the winners are arranged in the podium in an olympic event. The winner should be in the middle, the two runner-ups on his/her side and the last two on either side of them. It will look perfect, IMO :p