Lt. Commander
# 21
08-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Well, as for the "Is it considered Canon?"-question I think we shouldn't start getting delusional... No Trek-game has ever been canon so far and I'd be very surprised if STO were the first one to be. But as I don't see any post-Nemesis-canon-Trek coming anytime soon, we could always consider STO as "Canon, until contradicted".

I know, it's not the way things work, but why throw away good ideas that appeared in non-canon sources and material, if canon doesn't say anything else?

Regarding the customization-issue, my guess is that it will be limited to colours, decals, etc. that Cryptic implement beforehand. This way they could keep control of how the player ships look and prevent such oddities as pink Galaxy-class ships or a Sovereign-class with "I PWN U!!!" written across its saucer.

I somehow think that customized ships might actually look like the "Mirror NX-01" we saw in "In a Mirror, Darkly". You know, the one with the yellow decals (and I think there also was the Terran-Empire-Badge somewhere) that otherwise looked very similar to a "stock" NX-class.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-25-2008, 02:19 PM
I agree, why else would they ask us to join this forum, if not to show off their soon to be completed Star Trek game?
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Now they are talking, changes in the universe that stick, meaning we can change what we see. I like that part. as far as the custom ships, I wouldn't worry too much guys, they did say they will stay in canon, so I look for things we have seen already. The Decals might be a fleet type thing, something to show who your with, I don't see it being something that's going to take away from the ship.

Great Job CS DEVs, keep the Q&A coming.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-25-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing two mighty forces in the galaxy seek advantanges and i dont have a problem with customisation, alhough, a fleet engaging all looking united(and therefore staying and acting united?), is much more impressive i guess then some mixed coloured fleet(maybe showing of the egoism of each captain, just some thoughts of me of symbolism)

But it is a funny thought to meet, later on the game, a pink-customized Borg Cube^^(unless you are assimilated)

anyway thanx for the informatiion, i've been eating it up^^
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-25-2008, 02:24 PM
I too am worried about the customization of ships . . . but they did say that they want it to "feel like Star Trek", and it sure wouldn't feel like Trek with pink ships flying around now would it lol. Hopefully they limit the visual customization of ships.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
In our first round of developer Q&As, we tackle community submitted questions about canon, customization, music, exploration and more. Thanks very much to Al "Captain Geko" Rivera and Craig "Zinc" Zinkievich for their answers!
We know that fans want to play Star Trek Online because they want to explore the Star Trek universe, and we are striving to deliver as authentic an experience as possible. Our team has seen all the shows and movies and we're watching them again every single day. We are also studying other soft canon resources such as novels and comics.
Read more here!
Nothing new here, moving on.
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-25-2008, 02:32 PM
this is a fantasy game and by that definition there should be elements in there that reflect individual fantasy because you ahve to agree that we all dont fantasise about the same thing and so, that being the case then, and contrary to what you say, i believe allowing people the chance to put their own personal touch to what they have created through their own fantasies can only help but enhance the experience.

to add to this i have to say that perhaps one day a new planet will be discovered where the whole land mass is covered in pink edible flowers that taint the planet's occupants pink. surely this new race would have ships that were pink? in which case how would you 'immerse' yourerself into that if you restrict your own fantasy in the beginning?
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRedshirt View Post
Also, with the ship customization, why is it necessary to give people THAT much ability to change their ships? Color? Decals? Does this mean we should expect pink Bird of Prey ships flying around with Barbie decals and blue flames?
There are actuallly very few occasions where the people inside a ship are able to see the ouside hull. Perhaps outward facing customizations might be more limited than the interior sections where, it could be presumed, the captain spends most of his time. Typically ships are of a certain class, where all in that class look similar, with perhaps alternate markings. The same should be true in STO, so that certain perameters might be understood by all players. A shuttlecraft, for example, should not have the ablility to overpower a galaxy class starship, in any engagement, no matter how much 'upgrading' is done.

Having some set of universal truths that can be learned (through research or experience) would help level the playing field between the novice and advanced players. Having ships of a certain class all look similar would also be an equalizer, of sorts.
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Woah! Thanks Cryptic! I love the bit about exploration, THANK YOU!
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-25-2008, 02:38 PM
The fundamental issue with ship customizations, especially to the extremes that cryptic is suggesting is that is very much goes against cannon, not even the most rogue ships have decals and awkward colors. The fact is both starfleet ships and klingon ships are, in one shape or another, uniform with one another, kitbashing, fine, giving our own name, fine, but leave ship customizations to ship systems and upgrades.