Commander
# 31
08-14-2013, 05:27 PM
i loved star trek into darkness apart from that one line ( you guys know the one im talking about) that took me out of the film but apart from that i thought it was excellent and the jj abrams films are pretty good i think the only reason folks are whining is cause they hate change.
"...just look at my track record for making the improvements that I said we would with the KDF and judge by that." - Dan Stahl
Captain
# 32
08-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I grew up watching TNG. TOS just kinda feels like a differnt show sometimes....

The point? New series just won't feel the same.
I grew up with VOY/TNG reruns on UK tv channels and after watching TOS on lovefilm recently, to does feel totally different

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricorosebud View Post
Disagree. It IS a good Trek movie. It's just not your ideal of what Star Trek is. I wouldn't even begin to try to count the times I've read the line "JJ Trek is not REAL Trek!!!"

To me the new films still very much feel Trek, just a bit faster and sexier. Streamlined.

Too many 'fans' are getting hung-up on their personal ideal of what these films should be and spit venom when they find that the new Trek is a bit different in tone and pacing than the TV series. The only way they would accept the new movies into their personal canon is if they were two hour morality plays with heavy handed and high minded concepts. Don't get me wrong, I love TOS and TNG, but just making the movies long running TV episodes and slapping it up on screen might please the hardcore nitpicky Trek audience, but would bomb the box office. Winning TV formula=/=winning movie formula.

If I wanted to watch Trek on TV, I would watch Trek on TV. When I go see a movie, I wan to see a movie. Box office results would seem to indicate that many Trek fans share my feelings.

The new Star Trek movies are just as much 'Trek' as anything else with that name attached to it. (More than some IMO) It just may not be your flavor. I remember much the same kind of arguments when TNG aired.

That I enjoyed TNG didn't make me any less a fan. The fact that I like the new movies doesn't suddenly invalidate my Trek-Fan card.

Enjoy the ride or don't, but cries of "this ain't Trek" are tiresome, annoying and embarrassing.

Haters gonna hate. "True Trek fans" gonna hate LOUDLY.

(P.S. Nemesis, far and away the worst)
While i agree with your sentiment, i find that the voyage home was the worst, ''There be whales here'' seriously? , but back to the main part of what you were saying

Peoples focus on what they want things to be just kinda shows how self entitiled some fans seem to be on the matter

Something i encounter with all franchises of Sci fi it seems, people want it to be how they want it, and any other way is wrong

To all the haters , Surely if your a fan of Treks principles, you should be open to the concept of something being different and new? and perhaps you should refrain from acting so agressively to it when other enjoy it? Perhaps the message of peace and tolerance flew over your head and YOU are not the true fan?

I'm not suggesting you should love it, that would be forcing my experience on others, which is wrong, I'm simply asking you to accept that Some of us ( A lot judging by the box office ) enjoy it and we would like you not to tread on our experiences and enjoyments

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
Career Officer
# 33
08-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
I feel the biggest weakness of Into Darkness was that they didn't keep it to their own thing, their own story, like the previous film had been.

For good or for ill, that went it's OWN way. ID though...just felt so...underwhelming. I cringed so hard inside when I heard the 'evil Admiral of the week' in that movie mention Section 31.

Then they added in Khan, who was played well of course, but it was still Khan, and not a new villain to be focused on. Carol Marcus was a nice touch though, not for the 'sexy full body shot' they gave her, but more that, hey, she is still around because of the time period it is in.

Having old characters is fine to me, but only as long as they are doing their own story. Let's be honest, a huge majority of the moving going public, aka 'Billy Bob' and 'Mary Anne' aren't going to know spit about Section 31, and it's never mentioned again. If they had taken out Khan and focused on Section 31, it would've been better IMO.

It felt like Trek to me, it was fine in that regard, but it didn't feel like it's own story.
To be honest I expected to see the old stories get rewritten, and I was/am looking forward to seeing more of it. It's an alternate timeline and I enjoy seeing how things I saw in my youth play out differently in a new universe.
Commander
# 34
08-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Oh look it's another thread where manchildren get to bleat and cry about how MAH TREKS got modernized for a new generation who doesn't care about how ~forward thinking~ TOS was and can't stand how awful its production values and inability to remain internally consistent from episode to episode or, in some cases, scene to scene.

Enterprise and Nemesis killed the Prime timeline. JJ Trek is pretty much the future of the franchise, unburdened with 40 or so years of canon built on the world's worst foundation (re: TOS) imaginable. Enjoy.
Captain
# 35
08-14-2013, 06:26 PM
I don't get you all, I enjoyed them all. Yes they all have their ups and downs to them, but in general I enjoyed them.
[Combat (Self)] Your Lunge deals 3252 (1916) Physical Damage(Critical) to Heavy Tactical Drone.
If you have come to the forums, to complain about the AFK penalty, than it is WAI.
MACO/OMEGA/KHG Accolade Bug Link
Praetor of The Romulan Tal Shiar fleet
Republic Veteran
# 36
08-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Twilight is the true enemy NEVER FORGET!!!!!
Starfleet Veteran
# 37
08-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Twilight is the true enemy NEVER FORGET!!!!!
uHASUhAUshUAshUAHSuAHSuHAS true story
...now see my dedication plaque
USS PEACEMAKER
- NCC-511217-A
and Screenshot With Two Steps From Hell Music Mix
- Brazilian Fleet - lvl 20_Tier5 / Emb,DiliM,Spi lvl 9
Career Officer
# 38
08-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Into Darkness wasn't a bad film, nor was it the best Star Trek movie.

The parts of the movie I didn't like was turning the Transwarp Beaming into a MacGuffin Device and them purposely rehashing Wrath of Khan.
Commander
# 39
08-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
The fact that Galaxy Quest is in the list shows how stupid the list is.

Yes the newest movie had its problems but I still would have less difficulty watching it then Star Trek The Motion Picture. Star Trek The Motion Picture is the most boring of them all.
This right here. All other arguments are invalid.

Ridiculous troll thread.
Captain
# 40
08-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by contrarydecision View Post
Oh look it's another thread where manchildren get to bleat and cry about how MAH TREKS got modernized for a new generation who doesn't care about how ~forward thinking~ TOS was and can't stand how awful its production values and inability to remain internally consistent from episode to episode or, in some cases, scene to scene.

Enterprise and Nemesis killed the Prime timeline. JJ Trek is pretty much the future of the franchise, unburdened with 40 or so years of canon built on the world's worst foundation (re: TOS) imaginable. Enjoy.
I've noticed that in most debates about anything people fail to be objective and resort to name calling. Someone can not like a film based on any number of reasons.
It's also ironic that you bemoan how awful TOS was but it has essentially just been updated with different actors, clothing and awful lighting effects.

Art, is a subjective thing. Pickling a cow foetus is considered as much art today as Michelangelo's David. There isn't so much of a right answer only an opinion on either side of the debate. Ad hominem arguments just weaken your position, as do unsubstantiated claims or poor workmanship.

Until JJ et al came along, no cameraman who wanted to keep his job would have a shot with Lens flare, it just wasn't the done thing as it was considered sloppy workmanship. Now it's all the rage and widely accepted.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin