Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Career Officer
# 11
08-15-2013, 01:12 PM
agreed. I always wondered though why not carry over some of the 'rulings' that are common in the various no bs tournaments into normal play?

Now I know this has been done to an extent with fleet sighings, but im not talking about fleets as a whole, rather the individual. You have a thread here for example, that states some rulings agreed by the majority taken from the no bs tourneys (just the ones with outstanding support, not the 50/50 or 70/60 ones), and have whatever individual player sign to it. The player being accountable, not the fleet... allowing an amount of freedom for those that choose otherwise.
<a href=http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5 target=_blank>http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5</a>
Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
Career Officer
# 12
08-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Just fix the game first, then focus on the content.

And start by adjusting those new Elachi toy consoles.

I'd play in an empty space map and still be happy, if the game didn't get more junk like those Elachi consoles.

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Rihannsu
# 13
08-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwire690 View Post
How can we trust Cryptic has ever or ever will take the pvp customer base seriously?...
The answer is: We can't / They won't. What you see is what you get.

At least not until they can find a way to really monetize it more than PvE content/items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4 View Post
...I think PVP will be RIP very soon.
I mean no personal offense Naz4, but I find your comment funny: I've seen all the PvP is DOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMED!!!11!!! and PvP is soon to die posts... written by players for years. YEARS!. I haven't seriously played PvP since 2011, but others still do. I think it's just so they have something to complain about every time something new is released... LOL

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Career Officer
# 14
08-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Yup, we've all powered through that junk, but it just keeps growing.

There's no way I could have predicted the game would look like this back in 2011.

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Captain
# 15
08-15-2013, 03:18 PM
I just don't know that to think, in one hand you a have PvP System ignored for almost 3 years, in the other you have Cryptic releasing DOFFS with great impact in PvP, support of the PvP Boot Camp and Tournaments with prizes.

I don't know, is this supposed to be a hint? like "hey guys the head of the company doesn't want us to develope PvP yet, but here's a little bone for all of you"

Honestly besides tournaments and the casual 'training and preparation' that comes with it, i'm finding my PvP needs in another game.
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com
Captain
# 16
08-15-2013, 03:56 PM
PvP is endgame.

The more they avoid fixing PvP by wasting time on PvE content is just another step backwards.
Head of PR - Ausmonauts

Career Officer
# 17
08-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talzerotwo View Post
Idk tbh, at best, all we seem to be able to do is self-regulate what abilities we bring to a pvp match. Partially it's bad quality testing in regards to how an item or ability works in pve vs pvp... also though, I feel that it is due to the pvp community to find ways to "bend" aspects of the game to their advantage:

ex.

"let's put a cloak in the game!" "hey yeah good idea!"

vs.

"how do we increase this cloak to our advantage...?" "omg wtf doubletap yaaay!"

... you can see the evolution of what goes into the game and what's taken out of it by the pvp community in premade team formats. I may be biased in this part, but clearly you see the eventual exclusion of the Engineer captain from a team. In part it is because they've become redundant by virtue of other classes n combination with doffs or consoles etc. But what would fix this? a complete rehash of the game... or maybe something simpler, less customizability (ex. teams can only que up if there are at least one of each class on the team... not to dissimilar to WoW instances).

I feel Imay have lost my point and have to go eat something, but I always felt that if the pvp community is as good as it is, then what's wrong with queing up using basic weapons or shields. go vanilla. wont happen though, because people hate the lack of customizability and it's customizability that allows for tweaking and brokeness to become apparent.

blah i need to go eat something i think.

on another similar note, if this is specifically regarding content release for the pvp community and not a general release that 'affects' pvp, then yes I agree... there could be so many more challenges and maps made for pvp.

EDIT: to answer, if this game didnt have star trek slapped on it... no I would never play it.
PvP in STO at the top end is about finding what combinations of items and powers are grossly overpowered and exploiting them. Whatever it is: stacking Romulan cloaking abilities, making a team full of Aux2Batteries Galor's who FAW nearly all the time and cross-heal . . . the average player just cannot compete with that using a conventional build and normal ships and items. The "elite" PvPer is always looking for the newest way to exploit the game mechanics to win.

Since there are no real rewards for PvP and Cryptic has not significantly added to the PvP experience since the early days of STO, the PvP community has dwindled to the point where it is mostly top-level players (especially on the KDF side), PuG balance is upset by premades in the queues and even experienced PvErs get outclassed so quickly (due to their builds being adequate for PvE but not exploitative of the game mechanics at the level required to do well in PvP) that they rarely come back for seconds.

So, the first thing Cryptic could do is provide some real rewards for PvP, even if it is just a rep grind that rewards unique gear. That will at least bring a flood of new blood into the system and help dilute the experienced PvPers. Creating some actual new content would be the best fix for PvP; however, at this point Cryptic has shown little interest in that.
Captain
# 18
08-15-2013, 04:22 PM
http://youtu.be/7wX6W3k2wLQ?t=4m20s
crypic has what... 2 dozen staff? and im betting a lot ot their time goes on bugs. so i figure the advice in this video post 4:20 applies here.

since its a lot of whats going on here. baseline, barely functional mechanics, clunky spammy abilties, all crammed into a misconceptualised game system that doesnt and cant adapt to the game environments.

and to cover for this, the player frustration and bordom, we get more boffs, ships powers, set combo powers etc etc to make up for it.
If you like the RPG trinity, then you hate MMOs, you hate working, competitive fair PvP, you hate balanced engaging solo content,
and,
you hate PvE "adventure zones". because the trinity is incompatible with any of these.
Captain
# 19
08-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoge00f View Post
Yup, we've all powered through that junk, but it just keeps growing.

There's no way I could have predicted the game would look like this back in 2011.
???

You missed

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=228763

and

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=228730

might as well toss this in

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?p=3695796

" Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
There are no less than 16 new ships inbound that are all variants on existing ships at different tiers. Some will say that each one is more powerful than the base model, and others will not - but the design is that each of these new ships has a power that is new and adds new strategies to the game - because we are a game and we will continue to evolve.

Once we have converted all marks/badges/honor/emblems into the new "time" currency (probably Dilithium) - then we will also hook up all the new missions that allow you to earn Dilithium at all levels on a daily basis. So everyone will be earning Dilithium throughout their career (your previous currencies will be converted to Dilithium as well).

Then you'll be able to directly trade Dilithium to other players for C-Points and then you can get the Rhode Island or any other ship out there. And if you are worried that people won't have c-points to trade, there is an enormous vault of unspent c-points awaiting to be traded.

And for those who love to speculate about STO going F2P, if that ever happens, then I'm certain STO would give stipends to all subscribers/lifetimers just like Champs does. I'd also imagine STO would reprice many things in the game just like Champs did.

All the economy changes are going live Sep 22, so if you want to wait and trade emblems for it then, that is your perogative. But do keep in mind, STO needs to continually add new items to the C-Store to stay on track financially."

From back when the game was pay-2-play. Nothing about power creep surprises me anymore.

Edit: Fyi for those that don't know around this time a Dev went onto a podcast called STOked and admitted that C-Store ships had been designed to be more powerful from the start.
[Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
Random Quote from Kerrat
"Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
C&H Fed banter

Last edited by p2wsucks; 08-15-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Captain
# 20
08-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
PvP in STO at the top end is about finding what combinations of items and powers are grossly overpowered and exploiting them. Whatever it is: stacking Romulan cloaking abilities, making a team full of Aux2Batteries Galor's who FAW nearly all the time and cross-heal . . . the average player just cannot compete with that using a conventional build and normal ships and items. The "elite" PvPer is always looking for the newest way to exploit the game mechanics to win.

Since there are no real rewards for PvP and Cryptic has not significantly added to the PvP experience since the early days of STO, the PvP community has dwindled to the point where it is mostly top-level players (especially on the KDF side), PuG balance is upset by premades in the queues and even experienced PvErs get outclassed so quickly (due to their builds being adequate for PvE but not exploitative of the game mechanics at the level required to do well in PvP) that they rarely come back for seconds.

So, the first thing Cryptic could do is provide some real rewards for PvP, even if it is just a rep grind that rewards unique gear. That will at least bring a flood of new blood into the system and help dilute the experienced PvPers. Creating some actual new content would be the best fix for PvP; however, at this point Cryptic has shown little interest in that.
Re-read the threads from 2011, it wasn't the pvpers that wanted this system.
[Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
Random Quote from Kerrat
"Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
C&H Fed banter