Lieutenant
# 1 Nukara "code invalid"
08-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Is there something I missed completely in the instructions on Nukara about the portal disabling mission, "closing doors?" I get a "code invalid: please enter another code" message about 5-6 times for every successful code use. I even dumped all old codes and only tried ones I just picked up in the same run, same result.

The same node will give the message a few times and then work if I can stand still long enough. Once one node goes the other two usually will.

I don't know if this is intentional or a bug, I can't find anything on the forums or even a Google search.

Is this even happening for anyone else?
Career Officer
# 2
08-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Don't dump the codes. Success/Failure is randomly decided every time you interact with it. Just keep trying until you are successful.

It's like receiving a bunch of keys to open a lock. Obviously, not every key is going to fit the lock, so you just have to keep trying until you find one that fits.

That you fail that many times in a row just means the random number gods are displeased with you. Go sacrifice a few more Tholians to win back their favor.
Captain
# 3
08-15-2013, 05:02 AM
I am pretty sure it means that you have already disabled that portal recently. You need to move to another one.
Career Officer
# 4
08-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Nah. I do the same group of portals over and over - never moving too far away from the transporter pad, if I can help it. Post #2 has the answer. Its random chance. Not every code is going to deactivate every portal, every time. It keeps it interesting.
Career Officer
# 5
08-15-2013, 03:40 PM
I suspect it's not random.

It seems to me like if one player tries to deactivate it, it "locks" that group for other players. I have that issue, but it's ALWAYS on the first one. The second and third have never had that problem for me.

I think it's a game mechanic to prevent one player from "Stealing" the portal that another play is working on closing. I think it just resets after a certain amount of time (or certain number of codes), so eventually you go from "Code Invalid" to "Accepted."

This is just my theory based on the evidence. I don't think it's random, because it ONLY happens on the first one you try to deactive when you come up to the group.

As others have said, don't throw away the codes. There's nothing wrong with them.
Lieutenant
# 6
08-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Complete lack of documentation, it's the new thing.

I think it's random and not universally random, like Eggs on Risa.

Some toons have worse luck than others.

Also, people "steal" unlocks but you get credit for it when they do. I did try repeating one over and over, it didn't work, but when I tried the second and third it went on the third and it went, then the other two did.

It just seems like a waste of time that serves no purpose... other than to waste time. Getting to be too much of that.