Career Officer
# 31
08-17-2013, 11:24 AM
This isn't going to work for me at all. Let me see if I can properly explain why.

Right now most of the proposed icon changes look almost the same with the only distinguishing factor being color. Here's the problem: I'm shade blind. That means that while I see some color, the color that I do see is often wrong. I have extreme difficulty distinguishing colors from one another.

Right now I have no problem figuring out what I have on my ship and in my inventory/bank at a glance. Each icon is different enough that I have no issues with that. Your new icons are so similar that I won't be able to tell anything of what I have without going through them one by one to see their tool tips. I can barely make out the color differences right now on your larger presentation, I can only shudder at the thought of having to look at those in game on their smaller size. It's probably going to be worse for those of us who are completely color blind. This is going to make the inventory system significantly more difficult for people like myself to use.

Instead of just going by solely a color based system, you need to have differences in the icons themselves. For example during the beta test of FFXIV they used a color coded system to identify the strength of mobs. Those of us who can't deal well with color brought this up and they actually changed it for us. They kept the color coded system, but added in greatly different icons for each as well. This was awesome for us.

I would also like to submit the old Klingon UI as an example of this. Back then the old KDF UI had Red for friendlies and Orange/Yellow for enemies. I remember a good deal of us had trouble distinguishing the differences and ended up not being able to play KDF because of it. Heck even people who saw color properly had trouble with it. Not only did you guys change the colors based on that feedback, but now there's some nice icons to properly differentiate enemy types. I would ask that you do that here as well.

To be fair though, I have no problems with you guys wanting to update the icons to newer ones that better reflect Trek tech. That's very cool that you guys want to give attention to the details like that. But I have to ask that you please consider changing the icons to be a bit more different than each other and not solely based on color coding alone. I see some other posters commenting on the similarities as well and I'm assuming that they can see color properly, so changing this up a bit would benefit more than just those of us who have problems in this area.

Edit: The science consoles look fine though. It's more of the tac and eng consoles that are the problem.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009

Last edited by lan451; 08-17-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Captain
# 32
08-17-2013, 11:39 AM
I have to say i dont like them either. No one complained about the old ones and they look good too.
I see alot of work was done for these new icons and i respect that, but indeed there are many bug fixes needed, including graphical ones. But i guess some of them were forgoten or even gave up on them, since i still cant see my Omega Force Antiproton Autocarbine holstered on the back of my toons even after like a year or so since the bug was reported

I expect alot of remorse from players after these will go live since this will add alot of confusion. Like for example, if you are in a hurry or maybe tired and you will sell on exchange/npc or even discard a wrong console, only after the message to see that it was the wrong one.
Also have you think about color-blinded peaple? Yes, there are some that play this game, even myself got a friend like that (he is not a fan and plays STO occazioanlly, but he is partially color-blinded since he is confusing red and greed sometimes, or diferent variations of those).
I am talking here mostly about the Hull Plating, Alloys, Energy Type and Torpedo Type. Why not keep the curent icons and just add the new backround color?
On the rest, the science ones are better since all are diferent, same goes for engineering miscellaneous and power levels boosters.
Edit: I see now someone just posted before me allmost the same issue.

Last edited by mosul33; 08-17-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Captain
# 33
08-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan451 View Post
I see some other posters commenting on the similarities as well and I'm assuming that they can see color properly, so changing this up a bit would benefit more than just those of us who have problems in this area.

Edit: The science consoles look fine though. It's more of the tac and eng consoles that are the problem.
I do indeed see colors quite fine. And yes, I agree that it's just the tactical and engineering consoles that need fixing, though the Romulan embassy stuff is a bit too subtle for me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Captain
# 34
08-17-2013, 02:40 PM
I really like them, except for 2 things:

1. The alloys look too similar. I wish the yellow parts were different colors, instead of subtle differences that are just too subtle.
2. My kdf ship with have a fed warp core.

Otherwise, I like them.
Captain
# 35
08-17-2013, 02:45 PM
I would suggest making the armor consoles different shapes as well as different colors. What I like about the current ones is that at a glance, I can see "Oh, that's a tetraburnium console."

While I see colors fine, I still like old tac consoles better in some ways because I can easily recognize the shapes.
Lt. Commander
# 36
08-18-2013, 01:02 AM
While I always appreciate new art, I have a lot of the same concerns others have mentioned.

In general, many of them look too similar to each other in overall shape, making it tons harder for not only people who can't actually *see* the color differences, but also those of us who are quickly sifting through our inventories to sort the junk from stuff we want to save in the heat of battle to make room.

The finer details tend to get lost when you're in a rush, and if I have to squint at icons to tell them apart via minute differences, then the icons will have already failed at their job.

Regardless, I like the designs, I just think they need more easily-noticeable variations when further away from the screen/on higher resolutions.

Last edited by millybun; 08-18-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Captain
# 37
08-18-2013, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
I would suggest making the armor consoles different shapes as well as different colors. What I like about the current ones is that at a glance, I can see "Oh, that's a tetraburnium console."

While I see colors fine, I still like old tac consoles better in some ways because I can easily recognize the shapes.
Well, to be fair, I haven't quite managed to learn which armor console is which, or which science console is which. Not enough exposure, I guess.

However, what I lack in that department, I make up for in my ability to identify a tactical console the moment I see its icon. So, yeah... that's going away, so I'm gonna have to read every time I get a new console.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Career Officer
# 38
08-18-2013, 03:21 AM
Nice work!

Some of the consoles will still need work. I could recognize the old ones by a quick glance (except the 2 tactical plasma consoles).

Embassy Consoles: the differences are too subtle.
- How about changing the mini icons inside the icons: flame for plasma proc, eng team symbol for hull heal and sci team symbol for shield heal?

Torpedo Consoles: the torpedo icons are a tad too small and the torpedo colors could also stand out a bit more.

Energy Consoles: these are a bit better than the torpedo consoles, but could use a bit cleared weapon icon and cleared color. The red background is not helping, though I see the reason for it.

Hull Plating and Alloy Consoles: these are the hardest to identify.
- Maybe having different patterns on each Plating Console would help?
- This is less of a problem for Alloys since there is only Neutronium for the end levels.

Are you planning on updating the Zero-Point Energy Conduit and the Assimilated Universal Consoles at this time? They will look dated compared to the updated consoles.
Career Officer
# 39
08-18-2013, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencheryl View Post
No offense, but this time could've been spent fixing the diseased-looking faces I've had since LoR.
-Or assorted other glitches.
Seems pointless, old graphics look better, more distinguishable.
-But whatever...
...expectations always getting lower.

Thanks anyways...
UI artists are not character artists.
Captain
# 40
08-18-2013, 06:50 AM
I have to agree on a few things other players posted:

- one icon for alloys/hulls/platings with just a different colour is not working well with colorblind people. And there are a lot of them out there.

- same goes for the energy type consoles. And why do the icons look the same when the energy consoles are named Generator, Infuser, Coil, Pulse..?

- the same with the torpedo consoles like above.

But my actually problem is this: I do have a problem associating icons. Means I see a lot of little cryptic pictures in front of me, but I can't tell what they are doing.
Is this now the Torpedo Spread or the Rapid Fire icon? Is this Tactical Team or EPtW?
So I hover over the icon and wait for the Quick Info.
I did have this problem already as child, I just can't memorize or connect an icon to a function.

By the way, I really love those new icons. It took a few moments to realize that the armor consoles are in fact a saucer frame.

Probably solutions? Well those little energy/kinetic icons in the weapons consoles are a nice little help. But would it work to reduce the item size (not the icon size) a little and print the name of this console or the energy/kinetic or armor type on it?