Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,110
# 411
08-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savron1 View Post
Sir, you deserve a standing ovation!! I want to support Cryptic in their endeavors, but this really irritates me. Why were these changed? Cartoonish doesn't begin to describe what the new icons look like. I am shocked that people "like" any of these. I've been playing for years, and this has to be the first time an unwanted graphical update has made playing slightly less functional. Why add something that adds nothing to the game. FAIL, please change them back.
Agreed as well.

I guess the change has been a blessing in one way: the new tactical console icon's dark pink backgrounds annoy me sufficiently to turn STO off every time I try to play. Now I see an end to my STO addiction

Also, I was mistaken when I said the new icons look like soda cans, when in fact they more closely resemble baby food jars:

https://www.google.com/#fp=8f9ad9c84...ood+jar+images
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 319
# 412
08-24-2013, 09:29 PM
IMO, the problem is that while the changed icons looked just fine in the images linked in the OP, they do not downscale well at all, and end up looking like terrible MS paint pictures with no anti-aliasing at the actual in-game resolution.

I'm not asking you to revert to the previous icons, but please go back to the original art for the new icons and give them another art pass, recrop, etc etc so that they look better at the scale we will actually be seeing them in-game.

EDIT: It's also kind of odd how the warp core graphics, which I can only assume were also produced recently, managed to fit in pretty well with the established art style, while these (including the updated versions of those same cores)... don't. At all. Different artist / team? Were the cores actually drawn some time ago, and only recently implemented? May I suggest that, if possible, you get the original artist(s) back?

EDIT the second - from reading some of the previous posts in this thread, I note the possibility that this was given to a new hire as some sort of apprenticeship project. If so, I submit that this was a mistake - IMO, it is extremely important (to the maximum degree possible/practical) to maintain a consistent style across all parts of a game's UI, and if an artist cannot match the existing style while creating new work, they should not be given such a task.
Join Date: January 2011

Last edited by hfmudd; 08-24-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 576
# 413
08-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
If people past basic shapes in Kindergarten they can tell the different between the new icons.
That's not really the entire issue. The color of the equip + background + same designs = double take...or right click...or "wait, what was this for again? Oh to hell with it." Champions and Neverwinter have this problem/"feature" as well were the equip is basically the same icon design for certain things even though it's actually different. It's precisely why I thought of CO as soon as I logged in and saw the changes.

Having obvious differences in graphics does make a difference with regards to having to change builds quickly and/or having to discard certain items when inventory is full, what things you want to sell vs keep, etc. Yeah, the shapes will become familiar, but remembering the function is another matter, especially when the colors chosen don't help to differentiate much.

And as others and myself have said - it didn't NEED to be changed.
_________________________________________________

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,597
# 414
08-25-2013, 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmudd View Post
IMO, the problem is that while the changed icons looked just fine in the images linked in the OP, they do not downscale well at all, and end up looking like terrible MS paint pictures with no anti-aliasing at the actual in-game resolution.
That's the problem with them EXACTLY. Yes, they look cartoonish; and the tact consoles, indeed, look like baby-food jars; or barrels of gunpowder in a cartoon (every time I see them, I expect Bugs Bunny, or a pirate, arrr, to light a fuse under them). But that is all okay, really.

What is NOT okay is their scaling. And I don't know how to say this without sounding rude, but it's a bit of a noob-mistake to make for an icon-maker. What works at 20x20cm does not necessarily look equally great or functional at icon size. That's a rather basic rule to observe. And no, 'Just count layers on the Neutronium' is proof of fail, rather than anything else.

I'm also saddened by the typical responses to just get over it; or that people simply aren't used to them yet. Yeah, no.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,669
# 415
08-25-2013, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain9prime View Post
That's not really the entire issue. The color of the equip + background + same designs = double take...or right click...or "wait, what was this for again? Oh to hell with it." Champions and Neverwinter have this problem/"feature" as well were the equip is basically the same icon design for certain things even though it's actually different. It's precisely why I thought of CO as soon as I logged in and saw the changes.

Having obvious differences in graphics does make a difference with regards to having to change builds quickly and/or having to discard certain items when inventory is full, what things you want to sell vs keep, etc. Yeah, the shapes will become familiar, but remembering the function is another matter, especially when the colors chosen don't help to differentiate much.

And as others and myself have said - it didn't NEED to be changed.
Have you played Diablo 2? Actually NW did this too, at least in the beta. In both games there are a tiny number of graphics for rings and each ring gets a largely random picture assigned to it. It could be amazingly awesome, or it could be crud.... you could never tell by the picture. the only way to tell AT ALL was to mouseover and read the stats.

Also I feel the need to point out that this sort of thing holds true for most weapons in STO....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 486
# 416
08-25-2013, 07:54 AM
It didnt surprise me at all, it had to happen eventually.

The well known 'Dont touch stuff if it aint broke' many older Veteran players often had to endure in the past returns.

We all know the drama around Season 4 with the ground revamp, where Cryptic had to RE- adjust the running animation about 5 times because they couldnt get it right. The funny thing was there was nothing wrong with the old animations.So much valued time was spilled back then when Season 4 was full of bugs (and where many bugs are still around till todays date)

Then at the same time they had this weird idea of changing all of ESD and replace some awesome visuals and interior with train station signs, dull looking corners, etc.

Not to mention back then they also got their hands on the weapon visuals in space, changing the lovely graphics like polaron to some blurry mixed mess. anti proton got changed to red blood spatters, pha/dis got changed into some dull vague and way too blurred weapons(for cannons)

Go find some youtube video about how it all used to be pre season 4 and you will scratch your head onto why they keep bothering with changing stuff that aint need touching.


The,UI got a recent revamp, questionable whether everyone like the color coded super high contrast UI/tray etc. So called memory footprint to reduce the resources on the UI where in todays date the UI is still the most resource demanding part of this game.

So much aspects of this game are in need of some real attention (pvp, new featured missions, new STFs) but Cryptic seems to rather spend and divide their resources amongst inferior art changes, super grind reputation crap, etc.

Should i go on?

Oh well one relief is that the new icons fit awesomely well with the oh so awesomely EGA colored UI.
Seems more and more like a 1995 Windows 3.11 game.

Last edited by masterkeychnk5; 08-25-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 186
# 417
08-25-2013, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meimeitoo View Post
That's the problem with them EXACTLY. Yes, they look cartoonish; and the tact consoles, indeed, look like baby-food jars; or barrels of gunpowder in a cartoon (every time I see them, I expect Bugs Bunny, or a pirate, arrr, to light a fuse under them). But that is all okay, really.
Actually that summed up so well how I felt about them. Funny I thought it was just me.

I can live with some of the changes but the fleet armour and tac consoles are ghastly.

"You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon, taH pagh, taH be"
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 61
Ok given the fact that there are so many bugs in this game and I along with a number of other players cannot log on to my Main character account because of a server not responding bug not the connection time out, or a number of item flaws skills and too many to list. So instead of fixes we get cartoon consoles that are easily discarded because they look ridiculous. It is again proof of changing visuals to try and provide a different feel to a game that is handled poorly. QA is far superior to cartoonish changes and content additions. Just wondering when customer service stopped being top priority. And by the way Mr. breakfast cereal or wheaties whatever your handle is you would rage if all your hard spent hours in your favorite game got made worthless and no one did anything about it for almost a years time and then suddenly you cant even log in. Top of the day to you guys though.
Captain
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 988
# 419
08-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidamar View Post
Ok given the fact that there are so many bugs in this game and I along with a number of other players cannot log on to my Main character account because of a server not responding bug not the connection time out, or a number of item flaws skills and too many to list. So instead of fixes we get cartoon consoles that are easily discarded because they look ridiculous. It is again proof of changing visuals to try and provide a different feel to a game that is handled poorly. QA is far superior to cartoonish changes and content additions. Just wondering when customer service stopped being top priority. And by the way Mr. breakfast cereal or wheaties whatever your handle is you would rage if all your hard spent hours in your favorite game got made worthless and no one did anything about it for almost a years time and then suddenly you cant even log in. Top of the day to you guys though.
The people who do visual designs are not the same people who do server bugs fixes or the like..... different departments.... you're proposing an either/or scenario where one does not exist.
LtGen. Mara Navar, IKS Doronar, Bortasqu' Tactical Cruiser
VADM T'Prel Movar, RRW Imperator Scimitar Warbird
VADM Genestra, USS Indomitable, Avenger Class Battle-Cruiser
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,197
# 420
08-25-2013, 01:38 PM
hey look...another one of 'these' threads....

seems it's easier to criticize and belittle the development team rather than have a suggestive discussion in order to attempt to make the experience better or try and understand the reason why things are the way they are.

but hey....rage on.

*yawn.
_______________________
---- FIRE EVERYTHING ! ----
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:42 PM.