Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,549
# 451
08-25-2013, 08:06 PM
[insert typical BLARGH I HATE THE NEW ICONS THEY WERE A WASTE OF TIME BLARGH response here]

@HyperLimited
Join Date: Oct 2009 - My Youtube Stuff
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 657
# 452
08-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgta1967 View Post
you got numbers for us on what time and resources it took ?

got numbers of everything else in recent months to compare that data to as well ?
They may be pretty, but regardless of whatever time and resources the art department put into them, I consider it a waste of my time to have to check them via tool-tip when I already knew all the old ones. Change for the sake of change is a sure sign of incompetent management.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,595
# 453
08-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerstorm View Post
They may be pretty, but regardless of whatever time and resources the art department put into them, I consider it a waste of my time to have to check them via tool-tip when I already knew all the old ones. Change for the sake of change is a sure sign of incompetent management.
I'll just leave this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXR3FMx9bVE
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,213
# 454
08-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc2011a View Post
No I don't and I don't need them. There are much bigger things to fix then icons, so what it actually took makes no difference.

That being said, do YOU have those numbers? If not then by all means close ye gaping pie hole.
Fun fact, the guys doing work on art assets, like the Console Icons, don't work on Bugs/gameplay programming.


THey wasted no time by doing their assigned task.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,729
# 455
08-25-2013, 09:24 PM
ok, but really was it necessary to change icons that at a glance you could tell what it was, at a glance each icon used to have an actual uniqueness about them. Now all the tacticals look alike minus some color differences.

The new icons are nice and pretty yes, but now you have to scroll over half the crap in your inventory and bank to know what it is. Which is dumb in my opinion.
Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 916
# 456
08-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnshadow27 View Post
ok, but really was it necessary to change icons that at a glance you could tell what it was, at a glance each icon used to have an actual uniqueness about them. Now all the tacticals look alike minus some color differences.

The new icons are nice and pretty yes, but now you have to scroll over half the crap in your inventory and bank to know what it is. Which is dumb in my opinion.
And just like the old icons, you'll come to have them memorized.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 197
# 457
08-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegamer View Post
And just like the old icons, you'll come to have them memorized.
Thing is the tac icons look too similar and you may easily miss the little difference between types unless you look carefully. While the icons themselves are nice, the older tac icons were very distinct in appearance for each energy type.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,232
# 458
08-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmallm View Post
The old ones just didn't look right for what they represent. Since they fixed it with the new ones. I really like them, and they look better.
Could you perhaps point me to the difference between the Alloy icons ?

Or perhaps the "Star Trek-ness" of the last 3 Misc. consoles from the link above ?

Or ... how about then inability to tell of an Energy Type Damage console is green or blue , due to the beam that comes out of then new icon's corner and splashing on the corner that is supposed to tell you the green/blue/purple quality of the console .

Or perhaps you'd like to enlighten us with the vast differences between the Torpedo Type Damage consoles .

Yeah ... .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 2 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,805
# 459
08-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Some dev mentioned that certain features of the game is done during the dev's free time. A bunch of this stuff is rejected for whatever reason, but sometimes it gets far more attention because it is too cool. Even if this is not the case for the icons, then I can't see it taking more than a Friday Afternoon to do. The resources and time to create a bunch of new icons is minimal compared to almost every other dev task in the game. The only thing that I can see taking less time and resources is fixing typos.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,805
# 460
08-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldicephoenix View Post
Thing is the tac icons look too similar and you may easily miss the little difference between types unless you look carefully. While the icons themselves are nice, the older tac icons were very distinct in appearance for each energy type.
At least the energy weapon Consoles' colors are based on the color of the energy weapon. Much easier to tell that the orange energy weapon console is phaser and the green energy weapon console is disruptor.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 AM.