Captain
# 471
08-26-2013, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwtf View Post
And yet "Change for the sake of change" is a constant in every industry be it dishwashing detergent to car tires. It is what keeps things fresh and new, being fresh and new brings more customers and more old customers who left back.

Also wait until you get married and the wife wants to paint something just to have a change. That attitude will just get you in the doghouse lol. But is an example that people want things to change and grow rather than be stagnant. the same thing forever just makes it dull and boring, change for the sake of change, changes all that.
Hear Hear. One thing some players also forget, is that the forum is only a miniscule representation of the overall number of actual players. Not every single STO player uses the forum, so at a guess those who are not liking the new icons is what 1% (if that) of actual overall amount of players.

The only way PWE/Cryptic can get a true reflection of how the new icons have been received, is to send every active player an email to cast a vote, but there is now guarentee everyone will respond. Plus doing this would cost money, so they may have to pull resources from else where to cover the cost, resources from departments that fix bugs and glitches, and then certain bugs and glitches will end up taking longer to fix, then the "this is still broken" threads start and everyone is just going round in circles.
Live long and Prosper
Captain
# 472
08-26-2013, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post

You get points for trying ...
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Captain
# 473
08-26-2013, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevet View Post
Having given it a couple of days, now... the new icons are starting to grow on me.

And, actually, the consistent "families" of items with consistent shapes and appropriate colour schemes... is a genuine improvement. Once you've got some familiarity with the groupings, you can say to yourself, for instance, "Hmm, that thingy there has the same sort of outline as a phaser relay, but it's got a purple glow instead of an orange one... so, it must be a booster for polaron!" Which was not something you could do so easily, back when they were both Some Random Gizmo.

So, on balance, I give this change a thumbs up overall.
Well, I've already stated that I like the icons, but the part most of your post is talking about is actually the only part I don't like that I can't attribute to facts such as "oh no, my knowledge is invalidated!".

They're too generic. To borrow from your example, I've learnt exactly what every tactical console does (except for chroniton and tricobalt consoles, I had a bit of trouble catching those two) and had a fairly good idea as to which hull plating did what, or which alloy was which.

Now? Not a chance. It's either detailed examination or tooltips, neither of which match the speed at which I could differentiate them before. Sure, the colors in the tactical consoles are helping out, but that's not true for everybody.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Career Officer
# 474
08-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
At least the energy weapon Consoles' colors are based on the color of the energy weapon. Much easier to tell that the orange energy weapon console is phaser and the green energy weapon console is disruptor.
Sounds great if you are not one of the 8% of males who are colour blind. To me these look identical. Polaron and Tetryon also look identical.

As I have said on previous threads about this change, it was:

1. Unnecessary
2. Unwanted
3. A waste of resources

the result of the icons has been:

1. Confusion, initially for most and continuing for those who are colour blind
2. Irritation
3. Annoyance

One of the stated goals of the designer was to make them easier to tell apart at a glance, in this case I would posit that they have failed to achieve said objective for just about all players and completely failed for those with colour blindness.

This is not a case of "getting used to them" or being able to "memorise them", colour blind people simply cannot see the difference, it is not something that can ever be changed.

Overall this in my opinion is an epic fail.
Career Officer
# 475
08-26-2013, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazzie View Post

The only way PWE/Cryptic can get a true reflection of how the new icons have been received, is to send every active player an email to cast a vote, but there is now guarentee everyone will respond.
Have you not heard of opinion polls? A sample of the population if sufficiently large will determine the confidence level of the result to within a reasonable margin of error.

Here is some useful information regarding sample sizes.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/scienc...icipants.shtml
Captain
# 476
08-26-2013, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Have you not heard of opinion polls? A sample of the population if sufficiently large will determine the confidence level of the result to within a reasonable margin of error.

Here is some useful information regarding sample sizes.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/scienc...icipants.shtml
Yes I have heard of opinion polls that was precisely the point I was making. Statistics can also be altered for good or bad. How many times do world governments alter statiscal figures in order to make their current administration look better than it truthfully is. In order to get a true reflectionan an actual fact poll would need to be carried out. Just one question. Do you like the new console icons yes or no.
Live long and Prosper

Last edited by eazzie; 08-26-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Captain
# 477
08-26-2013, 02:50 AM
The only reason the old icons were "identifiable at a glance" was familiarity... to the uninitiated, each one is a meaningless snippet of a non-existent machine. And, given that they were highly detailed images in a square smaller than a postage stamp, they were never kind to anyone with any degree of visual impairment.

The new ones have, at least, the virtue of greater consistency. And familiarity with them will come, in time. So, while I won't say I "love" the new icons, I don't mind them, and I think on balance they're an improvement.
Captain
# 478
08-26-2013, 02:56 AM
New icons would have been fine, could have been fine...if the art style were not so absurdly different than everything else in the game. They stand out like a cartoon sore thumb compared to the other icons. Even if every other icon were changed to match them, they would still stand out like a sore thumb compared to all the rest of the art in the game.

How different they are is so ridiculous - I'm left to wonder if they're meant to serve as a distraction from something else going on or about to go on...because they're just that out of place.
Captain
# 479
08-26-2013, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevet View Post
The only reason the old icons were "identifiable at a glance" was familiarity... to the uninitiated, each one is a meaningless snippet of a non-existent machine. And, given that they were highly detailed images in a square smaller than a postage stamp, they were never kind to anyone with any degree of visual impairment.

The new ones have, at least, the virtue of greater consistency. And familiarity with them will come, in time. So, while I won't say I "love" the new icons, I don't mind them, and I think on balance they're an improvement.
Yes they are an improvement. All it boils down to is there has been a change and people in the most part dislike adapting to change.
Live long and Prosper
Commander
# 480
08-26-2013, 03:03 AM
this game is in need of some serious bug fixes and performance improvements, and yet you guys keep on spending yorur resources on making icons look crap.

GG cryptic.