Career Officer
# 41
08-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
2. My kdf ship with have a fed warp core.
It's interesting that they came up with a different core mechanic for Romulans, yet they just gave both Starfleet and the KDF the same types of warp cores, despite Starfleet cores being deuterium based, while Klingon cores are tritium based. Since the difference was a big plot point during the late Dominion War episodes in DS9.

I mean KDF cores could have had an inherent power drain resistance built into them amongst other things, for example.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook

Last edited by amosov78; 08-18-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Career Officer
# 42
08-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosov78 View Post
It's interesting that they came up with a different core mechanic for Romulans, yet they just gave both Starfleet and the KDF the same types of warp cores, despite Starfleet cores being deuterium based, while Klingon cores are tritium based. Since the difference was a big plot point during the late Dominion War episodes in DS9.

I mean KDF cores could have had an inherent power drain resistance built into them amongst other things, for example.
More reaction mass = more power. The Breen Energy Dissipator probably couldn't keep up with the power output of a Klingon warp core (assuming KDF ships have a same molar consumption rate as SF ships, KDF would be producing more power).
Ensign
# 43
08-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticttc View Post
... so the Sovereign core icon has been transferred to the "field stabilizing" warp core, which has a buff to shields. Finally, the Galaxy style core has been moved to the default/standard issue core that comes with a new starship.
Switching icons around after people have gotten used to them.. That's a Charlie Foxtrot in the making if I ever saw one. Please cancel this idiotic change, or make completely new icons if you must change them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticttc View Post
Ultimately we hope that these changes improve the STO experience . . .
Um, changing these icons wouldn't even make my top 100,000 list of ways to improve the STO experience. Seriously?! Your UI staff had time available and that is what you went with?

Much nearer the top would be fixing the gross inconsistencies in confirmation dialog boxes, dialog boxes that require scrolling because -- and only because -- the fonts were made larger in LoR but the boxes were not increased in size to match, screen-filling popups for actions I almost certainly do not want to take or containing information I almost never want to know, or hundreds of other UI 101 errors. Here are a few concrete suggestions for the next time you have bandwidth for UI improvement:

1. Get rid of confirmation dialog boxes for things I have already committed to two or more times, for example the autonav feature asking if I want to stop at dozens of intermediate destinations or confirming I want to warp when I finally reach the sector border, or DS9 (and many other systems) popping a full screen dialog box asking if I want to go back just after I told it yes, I'm sure I want to leave.
2. Get rid of confirmation dialog boxes for things that are trivial to undo, for example warping to a new sector; it's trivial to warp back.
3. Add confirmation dialog boxes for things that are impossible to undo, like aborting a duty officer mission. (This is made worse by the UI for "claim rewards" and "abort" being almost visually identical in the first place.)
4. Make that stupid trader (Mudd) stop interrupting everything else I might be doing to tell me he's leaving, even when I'm not talking to him in the first place.
5. Enable the "beam out" button near the mini-map consistently. If there are multiple targets (like when leaving the academy) it can pop the same dialog box that the "low priority interaction button" in the lower right does now without making me hunt for the different way to trigger the leave function.
6. Clean up redundant selection boxes and make them consistent, like when a Romulan beams down to New Romulus and two of the three options go directly to their stated destination, but the third pops another selection box that repeats the options.
7. Make the dialog boxes that have one item that requires a scroll bar pop a slightly larger dialog window so that I don't have to scroll to that last (and it seems usually most desired) item.
8. Clean up the overlapping trigger areas -- like the autonav for entry into Arucanis Arm taking us inside the Regulus Sector warp area. Also clean up gaps in trigger areas like the small seams along the borders of about half the sector boundaries that force me to back up if I had another dialog open as I approached.
Career Officer
# 44
08-19-2013, 03:36 PM
I've never actually come across the enhanced consoles in my 3 years of sto...hhmm...
Join date: April 2010 ; Lifetime Sub since April 2010. Actual 1000 day vet.

Proud Member of: Fubar Inc.
Captain
# 45
08-19-2013, 03:44 PM
1. It is now much more difficult to distinguish between consoles within certain categories. For example, all energy damage consoles look the same except for color. Similar comments apply to kinetic damage consoles, hull plating consoles, and alloy consoles.

2. Color is used to represent rarity in this game. Using color to also represent console type creates problems. For example, I can see someone mistaking a polaron damage console for an energy damage console of another type.

Last edited by frtoaster; 08-19-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Career Officer
# 46
08-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karhae View Post
Switching icons around after people have gotten used to them..
Actually the new warp core icons do vaguely relate to cannon.

The Sovereign had adv. shielding in Nemesis that could stand up to a Scimitar for a good fight (better than a mogai) and 6 different shield facings (which pre Sovereign ships didn't appear to have) hence the shield bonus, the Defiant was always quick and manoeuvrable hence the engine bonus, and the Galaxy was well...the Galaxy...which many more were made (dominion war) so would suit standard I guess...

Anyway thats my logic relating to cannon...and to be honest they haven't really been around that long...its the tac / sci / engi console that have been around since the start of the game...

I could never remember all the buffs for a console so mould always have to mouse over now it's easier as they are colour coded to weapons and energy levels. Less thought on my part, plus slightly easier for new commers to the game.

Still liking the UI update keep it up on generally improving the experience and making it more Trek
Join date: April 2010 ; Lifetime Sub since April 2010. Actual 1000 day vet.

Proud Member of: Fubar Inc.

Last edited by dmfreddie; 08-19-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Career Officer
# 47
08-19-2013, 03:53 PM
The old consoles have very distinctive looks and it is super easy to tell them apart. The new consoles all look the same within their respective subcategories.

Compare this to weapons: They not only have different colours, but also different, yet recognisable designs for each energy type.

I think that this is a step in the wrong direction and a collosal waste of development time. The money spent on redesigning perfectly good existing icons would have been used much better had it been spent on paying a dev to work on things that actually require work.
http://hilbertguide.com
Career Officer
# 48
08-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
The old consoles have very distinctive looks and it is super easy to tell them apart. The new consoles all look the same within their respective subcategories.

Compare this to weapons: They not only have different colours, but also different, yet recognisable designs for each energy type.

I think that this is a step in the wrong direction and a collosal waste of development time. The money spent on redesigning perfectly good existing icons would have been used much better had it been spent on paying a dev to work on things that actually require work.
^^^ This, x1,000,000. But no, Cryptic will go ahead and implement this needless change anyway.

Seriously Cryptic, you need to drop this copy/pasta nonsense. A lot of those icons look too similar to one another and would be a bit difficult to tell them apart, especially if you're colorblind.
@HyperLimited

Last edited by hypl; 08-19-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 49
08-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypl View Post
A lot of those icons look too similar to one another and would be a bit difficult to tell them apart, especially if you're colorblind.
Then, oh I don't know, try reading them? I assume everyone who plays the game can read. If not there is really nothing anyone can do to help.

Right clicking brings up a pretty helpful description for most things.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 50
08-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback on the icons, everyone!

After looking at feedback we reviewed the icons for the engineering alloys and decided that they indeed did look too similar. I've already checked in new art for these icons that still has a uniform style but is more distinct:

New Alloy Icons
Star Trek Online - UI Artist
@Cryptic_TTC on Twitter