Career Officer
# 511
08-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar487a View Post
...And all the new tactical console icons look like baby food jars:

https://www.google.com/#fp=4988b9b3e...ood+jar+images

Any STO icon can easily remind anyone of pizza, an automobile component, Christy Brinkley, or any other <insert random text here> -- it's all in the eyes of the beholder. The problem occurs when the icon look so generic that no one can identify it without using tool tips. At that point, the icon might as well be a generic geometric shape since it has lost its ability to communicate what it represents.

The old icons had one major advantage over the new versions: they were all unique, making them easily identifiable. Even if they were not photo-realistic representations, they still got their identity across.

What Cryptic is trying to do with revamping the icons is great, but the execution ignored too many functionality considerations like unique picture representations and graphics rescaling, not to mention over-dependencies on color while ignoring other visual cues like in-picture-icons.

Cryptic should standardized item icons formats without standardizing their images (because the latter just leads to even more confusion). If you've ever played any card-collectible-games (like MTG, Yugio, Pokemon, etc... yes, please bear with me), you'll notice that every card had unique images, but their relevant game information was presented along the frames of the card in the form of text and other small icons:

https://www.google.com/#fp=4988b9b3e...TG+card+images

STO can so something similar with their item icons. Some format suggestions:

1) Use a unique image for every item -- no generic cut/paste! Old icons can work here too, allowing a gradual transition from the old to the new format.

2) Color code the outer icon frame white / green / blue / purple / indigo to represent rarity

3) Print a unique symbol on the upper or lower left corner to identify the console type, something like ^ = tactical, # = engineer, and * = science

4) Use Roman Numeral 1-12, or I to XII, on the lower right corner to represent item rank / grade

The above allows players to quickly identify console class, type, rarity, and grade without the headaches of the current set-up.

Just food for thought, though I doubt anyone from Cryptic is even reading this.

^^ Best post in the thread! Hear ye him!
Starfleet Veteran
# 512
08-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
At 500+ posts is there a point to leaving feedback here?

I guess I'll leave my brief feedback here anyway.

1) The tactical consoles achieve Goal 1. They are clear and easy to understand - although I'm not convinced they are "easier' because you do have to look at their distinct color + the color of the quality. However in making them all look the same, they are a bit less distinct or interesting compared to what they were previously.

....<SNIP>...
Agreed whole-heartedly. Now that the tac console icons look generic and "boring," they have been diminished in both visual and sentimental value. They still work fine from a numbers and performance perspective, but now they just look like random pegs (or baby food jars) in a my inventory grid on a starship stats screen.

Is there any way Cryptic can offer users a choice between which icon packs to load? Such a feature would easily satisfy all players and provide better GUI customization.
Career Officer
# 513
08-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Agreed whole-heartedly. Now that the tac console icons look generic and "boring," they have been diminished in both visual and sentimental value. They still work fine from a numbers and performance perspective, but now they just look like random pegs (or baby food jars) in a my inventory grid on a starship stats screen.

Is there any way Cryptic can offer users a choice between which icon packs to load? Such a feature would easily satisfy all players and provide better GUI customization.

I think your MTG borders/icons suggestions is a really good one, you might try tweeting it and / or PMing it to thomas the cryptic cat directly.

Unfortunately it's probably going to be lost in this threadnaught otherwise.

Rihannsu
# 514
08-27-2013, 09:00 AM
Quote:
...And all the new tactical console icons look like baby food jars:

https://www.google.com/#fp=4988b9b3e...ood+jar+images

Any STO icon can easily remind anyone of pizza, an automobile component, Christy Brinkley, or any other <insert random text here> -- it's all in the eyes of the beholder. The problem occurs when the icon look so generic that no one can identify it without using tool tips. At that point, the icon might as well be a generic geometric shape since it has lost its ability to communicate what it represents.

The old icons had one major advantage over the new versions: they were all unique, making them easily identifiable. Even if they were not photo-realistic representations, they still got their identity across.
there was nothing about any of the old ones that said "this is a tactical console". They were all just random objects with no connection to each other or the damage type they boosted. Memorization was the only way to know that it was even a tactical console.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 515
08-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
there was nothing about any of the old ones that said "this is a tactical console". They were all just random objects with no connection to each other or the damage type they boosted. Memorization was the only way to know that it was even a tactical console.
That's why I suggested using card-collectible-game formatting in the quoted post to preserve unique item images while still presenting its relevant game information. Replacing the item's original image only leads to the mass-confusion we're seeing now, but all of this could have been averted had Cryptic simply changed the console icon formats without dropping their unique identifying images.

There are many ways to convey an item's function, but changing all icons into nearly the same picture is not a good idea since it has so many negative strings attached.

Last edited by shar487a; 08-27-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 516
08-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
I think your MTG borders/icons suggestions is a really good one, you might try tweeting it and / or PMing it to thomas the cryptic cat directly.

Unfortunately it's probably going to be lost in this threadnaught otherwise.
I don't use Twitter, but anyone is welcome to relay my CCG-format suggestion to Cryptic's powers-that-be directly.
Rihannsu
# 517
08-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Quote:
That's why I suggested using card-collectible-game formatting in the quoted post to preserve unique item images while still presenting its relevant game information. Replacing the item's original image only leads to the mass-confusion we're seeing now, but all of this could have been averted had Cryptic simply changed the console icon formats without dropping their unique identifying images.

There are many ways to convey an item's function, but changing all icons into nearly the same picture is not a good idea since it has so many negative strings attached.
"Mass-confusion"? I think that's overstating it. I've seen very few actual complaints about it in game.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 518
08-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
"Mass-confusion"? I think that's overstating it. I've seen very few actual complaints about it in game.
Besides the hyperbole, what do you think about the CCG-icon format suggestion? It seems to be a good compromise -- preserving old icon recognition while presenting item rarity, grade, and purpose.

Last edited by shar487a; 08-27-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Rihannsu
# 519
08-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Besides the hyperbole, what do you think about the CCG-icon format suggestion? It seems to be a good compromise -- preserving old icon recognition while presenting item rarity, grade, and purpose.
Rarity and grade are in there already with the color glow and MK level. That being said I liek the idea of using shaped frames (like doffs) instead of a glow effect.

One thing I remember about MTG is that it's rather easy to make a deck with unique arts for all the cards, but to actually use multiples. So I don't see it as a good example. I mean seriously.... I think there may be up to 100 arts for each basic land card.

I do like the idea of moving the icon for the damage type to somewhere it would be easier to see though.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!

Last edited by markhawkman; 08-27-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Captain
# 520
08-27-2013, 10:15 AM
There is a form of CCG-like work at play in the icon:

The icon itself is the artwork. The rarity mark is like it having foil or whatever your preferred CCG uses. And then, the tooltip and full info are the actual text about what the console (or card) does.