Ensign
# 21
09-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Even if the Voth are allies with the Iconians, it doesn't mean they trust them at all. Personally I doubt they would be aligned. Especially if the iconians aren't a saurian race.

As for super advance races crushing all the alpha quadrant species, the iconians were defeated by less advanced races before so it could easily happen again especially if the feds, klings, and roms combined have more people and ships to overwhelm them.
Ensign
# 22
11-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captz1pp View Post
I saw the next FE seems to have the Voth turning hostile and having a potential relation to the Iconians, that implies two far more advanced opponents, that will be less interesting than Cryptic thinks.

I cant imagine how we're expected to fight 2 races* some million years ahead of us, better for their leaders to come here thinking they can prove there is no earth, failing and needing our assistance with rioting, or something.

*Iconians were beaten 200,000 years ago, no telling how much older then that they are.
Don't forget the Hurq's, Hurk's, however you spell it, the folks who defeated and invaded the Klingon empire..something the combined worlds of the Federation itself couldn't do. They may or may not be out there someplace. To my knowledge Trek never answered what happened to them.
Captain
# 23
11-21-2013, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirnonnus View Post
Don't forget the Hurq's, Hurk's, however you spell it, the folks who defeated and invaded the Klingon empire..something the combined worlds of the Federation itself couldn't do. They may or may not be out there someplace. To my knowledge Trek never answered what happened to them.
That happened ages ago, before the Klingons became an interstellar polity. They were then overthrown and the Klingon space tech base was built upon the loot.
Captain
# 24
11-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychickitty View Post
Its interesting you bring this up.

As you know this game has an altered timeline.

there are still actual advanced races that in the current star trek online universe that have not been met.

One is the Organians.....the energy beings that made the Klingons and federations stop fighting....and create the organian peace treaty.(this kind of shows an in game temporal paradox by the way as this would have been the only way space station K7 would have appeared as shermans planet was a focal point of war before the treaty)

Also I do not believe Triskelia nor the Excalibians have been encountered in this game's time line either.

Which makes me wonder if the Andromedans where ever met either....or if they are still on their way back to earth.

ie...the iconians and fungus people seam pretty powerful...but what can they do against ancient races with powers way beyond simple gate technology.

Have to love those old star trek episodes....lets just hope that landru was still destroyed as well....lest the borg find him and start trying to absorb everyone.

Wait, I thought this game was written in the "Prime" universe not the "JJ-Verse". Is it he Avenger that's thrown you off?
Captain
# 25
11-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectfrontier View Post
Wait, I thought this game was written in the "Prime" universe not the "JJ-Verse". Is it he Avenger that's thrown you off?
That is one logical assumption, yes. As for the game...

Vulcan's intact, isn't it?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Republic Veteran
# 26
11-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
That is one logical assumption, yes. As for the game...

Vulcan's intact, isn't it?
not to mention we cant have the JJ-verse stuff, which means we arent in the jj-verse.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Captain
# 27
11-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
not to mention we cant have the JJ-verse stuff, which means we arent in the jj-verse.
Believe me, Vulcan is a lot easier to notice than the magic Augment healing blood.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Commander
# 28
11-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalgo View Post
The Voth if now hostile could be more destructive than the borg.

Advanced computer systems. They almost laughed at Voyager, "oh look they're still using simple binary coded software"
I remember Voyager entering the heart of Borg territory shortly after encountering the Voth(3 episodes after, infact). The Borg and Voth would've encountered each other long before the Borg encounters the Federation. Yet, the Borg could only expand away from the Voth. In other words, Voth technology is a helluva lot more advanced than what STO portrays them as.
Captain
# 29
11-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruminate00 View Post
I remember Voyager entering the heart of Borg territory shortly after encountering the Voth(3 episodes after, infact). The Borg and Voth would've encountered each other long before the Borg encounters the Federation. Yet, the Borg could only expand away from the Voth. In other words, Voth technology is a helluva lot more advanced than what STO portrays them as.
That's a balance issue.

THye couldn't put the Voyager level Voth in the game. That tech was broken as heck.
Starfleet Veteran
# 30
11-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundrelic View Post
That's a balance issue.

THye couldn't put the Voyager level Voth in the game. That tech was broken as heck.
I'm not so sure. I mean, TNG and DS9 (I believe Voyager in other instances) ran into weapons that could completely disable or seize control of their ships, and developed countermeasures. Voyager never had the opportunity to attempt a countermeasure, before they did the situation was resolved by outside actions and they were released.

We never get to see their defenses or offenses in the show (though the tier 2 rep mission does show them (spoiler in black) shrugging off the Borg, so they're clearly substantial - but shrugging off the Borg is something the player factions can almost do even ignoring the hero ship/plot power aura on every player ship.).

Their other technology isn't so impressive on extensive probing - their sensors can distinguish individual life forms at great range in normal conditions, but Starfleet sensors have done similar things with specialized circumstances. They took thousands of years to master transwarp travel, which the player factions have mastered in the last 40. They can transport entire ships, but that seems pretty expected for the size of their ships - Starfleet ships have been beaming entire shuttles and runabouts since at least TNG.

I mean, yes, clearly far above Starfleet when Voyager met them, but only a century or two, with millions of years of head start (they have 2 million years of recorded history, but are clearly much older).

STO takes place at the other end of a massive ongoing technological explosion driven by the Borg scare, Dominion War, and later conflicts, while the Voth have been stagnant for thousands of years. By now, they're no more advanced over Starfleet than the Tholians (which I think is about what they appear as in-game), and will in a few decades at most be left behind by the Alpha and Beta Quadrant races. Unless, that is, they abandon or alter Doctrine and unshackle their scientists.

Last edited by hevach; 11-22-2013 at 06:42 PM.