Lt. Commander
# 21
08-21-2013, 06:43 PM
rck01

Many thanks for the detailed response. In fact before you posted I did realise I could happily grind some items. Others I just got lucky with today on the exchange. A couple more blue technician doffs at a cheap price. Plus I really love Fire at Will 3 and aux2batt boosts. Ok so 3 blue techies is a poor mans Aux2batt but I seem to be ok.

Now to be fair I did also try emperordeslok's build, which is an excellent budget build for around 500K. Plasma infusers being the obvious expensive items. Thankfully I had enough EC to do both builds. I like them both on their own merits to be honest and both are equally enjoyable with their own playstyles.

For now I want more of the cruiser beam boat feeling so my build is currently based on rck01's but I have the gear to happily swap to the other build.

My Plasma build is identical to emperordeslok's. So no point me reposting that.

My rck01 style build the only real difference is my weapon type and what I had to hand in loot from my KDF characters. Will have Mk X MACO shield and Cutting Beam tomorrow. Obviously I'll upgrade this over time.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...earlyversion_0

My skills are kind of general because I do fly other ships. I also like torps just not with this ship. Doffs are 3 technicians. 1 conn officer, 1 warp core engineer. All blue. Can't afford Marion "Mr 15 Million" EC at present. lol. Also I have yet to find a boff to train DEM3 so I use DEM2 at present.

Things are working out fine for me in Elite STF's. So I'm happy. Many thanks to emperordeslok, rck01 and everyone else for the helpful advice. Cheers.

"You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon, taH pagh, taH be"

Last edited by chris919uk; 08-21-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: typos
Lieutenant
# 22
08-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Buy a few Temporal Lockboxes. I bought a batch of 10 of them, as well as 10 Master keys, and unlocked a Marion on my 3rd lock box..... SO totally worth it!
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
08-22-2013, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnb1 View Post
Buy a few Temporal Lockboxes. I bought a batch of 10 of them, as well as 10 Master keys, and unlocked a Marion on my 3rd lock box..... SO totally worth it!
Yeahhhh... you do know how a lottery works right? I've opened up dozens of temporal boxes, and I have never scored a single Marion. All my Marions are bought off the exchange, in fact I bought too many as my KDF characters can't use Federation Marions. Caveat Emptor and all that.

I have several Isises, Berlinghoff Rasmusens, Parnell, and a few other blue and purple temporal box doffs. But it's a lottery. You either win big or you don't.
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
08-22-2013, 01:03 AM
I noticed this from Iskandus, and would like to offer a counterpoint:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskandus View Post
- There is zero point into subsystem repair - another questionable move in that Subsystem repair protects you against the effect of Viral Matrix, which more and more NPCs (e.g. Elachi & Tal Shiar) use, in addition to being somewhat popular in PvP due to the increase of cloakers. You are also susceptible to subsystem disables via Phaser and/or subsystem targeting. The latter can last 10+ seconds. Can you survive with your shields offline for 10+ seconds?
I still think points in subsystem repair are a waste. Viral matrix gets cleansed with engineering team, in fact all subsystem disablers can get cleansed by that (possibly not the phaser proc, but that happens so rarely to me that it's not an issue). Also batteries can restore a damaged subsystem instantly.

If it's for PVP, then maybe it would be worth the investment. For PVE, it definitely isn't. I get by with 0 points and some human boffs and if a subsystem goes offline it's back on a couple of seconds later. Even my klingon characters who don't have access to human boffs get by without that skill. I do acknowledge that PVP might be a different beast altogether, but my point is that there are better ways of negating subsystem disablers than speccing into subsystem repair.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-22-2013, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnb1 View Post
I have to disagree with your sense of worth here. 10 Master Keys at 1125 Zen which is roughly eight pounds or whatever that is in dollars at present. 10 random lottery lucky dips in which you may win.

1. A mini doff pack. Wow wanted one of those.
2. A few lobi crystals
3. You may get a rare lockbox ship. Oh yeah at 0.005% chance or whatever it is.
4. That purple doff you really needed if you're lucky.
5. A cuddly toy.
6. A picnic hamper.
7. A modern vacuum cleaner.

Sorry you will have to forgive my humour. Truth is I don't play the lottery game. If people want to thats fair enough but I know my own luck and its just not that lucky.

However keys sell from anywhere between 1.4-1.6 million EC at present. So a ten pack is a good 14-16 million EC and that would be the 100% certain way to get the doff but I still wouldn't buy it for that price. I could gear a small squadron of ships with that much EC.

"You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon, taH pagh, taH be"

Last edited by chris919uk; 08-22-2013 at 01:49 AM.