Lt. Commander
# 1471
01-27-2010, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harathan
One of my clan mate has actually cancelled his pre-order based on the disaster that was the End of Beta event. And he's one of the most reasonable people Ive ever met.
Then, he is wrong.

He has made a decission upon a program which doesn't exist yet based on something that has happened in a partial version of the program released during the error testing period. It is definitly a not very reasonable decision.
Lt. Commander
# 1472
01-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harathan
As a Fed player I was ASHAMED of the way some people on the Federation team are making out that its our fault the Klingons got spawn camped, rather than Cryptics for not moving the spawn point or making Klingons non-hostile to Fed players. You have nothing to gain by it at all. Why some feel it acceptable to do this I have no idea. Why Crytpic found it cool to flag Klingons as hostile, then spawn in an NPC Borg attack is beyond me. Even with a large majority of Fed players gathering at K7 (due to lack of information) the Klingons got camped at Sol by a handful of Feds because the whole event wasnt thought through properly.

For those who are defending Cyrptic for last nights events, you need to wake up. The event was badly organised, not enough information was available, Klingons were forced into a position where they were spawn camped which is only fun for one side and the Borg invasion felt like an improvised solution to the lack of Klingon players being able to join in.

STO will stand or fall on its community and blaming that community for the shortcomings of the Devs shows a massive lack of respect for how others wish to play and a distinct lack of understanding of human nature. The spawn camping was a bad situation but blaming the community for it is like blaming everyone who has an umbrella when its raining, when you havent got one.
Thank you for that fine statement.

It' s just not nice if you get spawncamped and than get twitted by some (NOT ALL, I know a lot of the Feds did not enjoy this "event", too) Feds and insulted if you are angry as a Klingon. Seems to me as some ppl don' t understand how important the Klingons for the High End Content are.
As this game is planned in my opinion (open PvP at the NZ i.e.) a big part of the high end content is about PvP and open PvP. To whom the Federation will fight if there is no Klingon left because of lack of content and lack of respect coming from the devs for the Klingons? I am part of one of the largest and only (until now) German Multifaction Fleet. As we talked in our Teamspeak not one Federation was lucky about that what Cryptic offered. We thought we could fight the Borg together. But everytime one of us Klingons tried to enter a Deep Space Encounter a mob of Federation vessels startet to shoot and killed the Klingon within seconds. There was no way to open an own instance for our fleet to play together. In my opinion an event is a great event when most of players have fun. This happend definitevely not. No Klingon had fun and most of the Feds did'nt had fun, too so far I can read.
Lt. Commander
# 1473
01-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Have mixed feelings about this one.

I was a part of the huge Federation armada that assembled at K7 - and it was an amazing sight with I have no idea how many ships forming one giant blockade line. It looked amazing but we waited and waited and nothing happened, no announcement no nothing.
We then get rabid reports through chat that Klingons were making their way through the Sirius block, so I made my way out and headed towards Sol, except in the transition I suffered that server issue which crashes you unless you log out and in with another character then back to your original (annoying but to be honest not a big deal).
When I arrived at Sol there was utter carnage - complete owning of the one or two Klingons that had arrived. That being the case on I went to starbase 24; same again so on I went to DS9. Here was a little different, here at least the Feds were trying to be a little more supportive of the Klingons - at least in the instance I was in - the feds had pulled back from the spawn point to DS9 so the Klingons didnít get killed the instant they arrived or spawned. That didn't make much difference though.

It was at this point I heard about the borg incursion, so on I went back to the Sirius block and dipped into a few instances. This was a little more fun - the borg ships put up a fight. But again any Klingons that appeared were instantly vaporised. In this case it was a mixed cause as the borg were right on the spawn point as well - as soon as they went boom weapons locked onto the poor Klinks and before you could stop yourself you had fired a shot (to my disgrace I did it once or twice) which when 20-30 fed ships did simultaneously, insta killed the klingons.

Not wanting to be part of the Klingon stomping I moved off to starbase 1 to see what was going on.
The steady stream of borg drones was far more entertaining. When you got a bit of teamwork going it wasnít too bad, I also found after half an hour or so that you could leave the drones pretty much alone and head straight for their nodal spawn points. Of course by the time one section was cleared of nodes the next section had respawned - an impossible battle but great fun none the less!

With a little bit more planning the events PVP could have been epic instead of a damp squib. Spawn points would work far better if randomized, also some means of balancing the teams are urgently needed.

All that aside, I look forward to the head start on Friday and feel that while by no means perfect the game has great promise.
Lt. Commander
# 1474
01-27-2010, 05:13 AM
Sorry to hear your friend cancelled but him and everyone else needs to remember this is a brand new game.....
and it was in BETA that means testing, it wasnt a done deal and Devs need bad things as well as good things to happen to help them "tune" the game

If your friend started playing at the beginning of open beta I am sure he did or would have seen a HUGE change in the game, devs were constantly taking it down and fixing things.

I for one cant wait to see the changes they have in store for us over the next couple days and even the next couple months as they continue to "tune" the game.
Lt. Commander
# 1475
01-27-2010, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthalas View Post
Then, he is wrong.

He has made a decission upon a program which doesn't exist yet based on something that has happened in a partial version of the program released during the error testing period. It is definitly a not very reasonable decision.
I agree, he is wrong. The event was a botched and careless fiasco, a true screw up and indeed an epic fail, and Cryptic should be horrified at how many Klingon players just logged off in disgust after getting spawn camped over and over again... and quite a few will never come back.

I am certainly coming back however and I just hope Cryptic learned how NOT to run an event.
Lt. Commander
# 1476
01-27-2010, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_86
FRACKIN' AGREED.

Im LT 9 and i cant do anything. sol dock , borg are to strong. and the borg fleets are too strong!

What a $h%t*y event
I do not think it would have been a challange and fun to blow up a borg cube when everyone was maxed out in every possible way. Actually it was rather "realistic".
Lt. Commander
# 1477
01-27-2010, 05:29 AM
The event was very poorly executed. as I played my klingon very little, I didn't even get out of the starter ship, I still tried to do the event as a klingon. We sat at the supposed meeting point... we bounced back and forth from the system and sector space, trying to figure out if we were missing something. The countdown to the event comes, and passes. no admin giving direction, or anything. Eventually notice the assault ships, hail them and get sent to sirus. Then what ? most went into starbase 24 because they were right next to it, others headed to sol, and others wandered around aimlessly. Sol was a slaughter, spawn camping and all that. I went there for a little bit, and eventually got away. respawn ->warp as fast as I could. Went and looked around a bit, switched to my fed. Went after some borg cubes, went to the starbase 1 and killed some drones, got bored logged off. I did come back for the last 20 mins or so, but it was much of the same, there was a couple klingons on the base, but they got killed quick. I killed some myself. I know, I'm evil

bottom line is there was little to no direction, and no planning. At least the server stayed up. I was expecting to see a horde of klingons flying through sector space untill they met the feds, then a big empty space battle. with appropriate spawn points for each side. They could have done it wherever the two groups met. Could even have added something in game, like the wolf 359 memorial. To the retail version, to mark where it happened. but oh well.. game looks ok, sometimes fun, but I am little too nervous to try playing for the first couple months, let some stuff get sorted out first. I will keep an eye out and might end up playing.
Lt. Commander
# 1478
01-27-2010, 05:29 AM
For what it is worth, from what I can tell from my own experience, talking to fleet members and other players as well as reading what has been posted here, it appears a lot of the "mature" boys & girls went to DS9. I guess maybe the station lived up to its reputation from the TV show.

For our fleet at least, it has been adopted as our official "social hub" as a result of the events that transpired today.
Lt. Commander
# 1479
01-27-2010, 05:31 AM
I thought the Klingons that apeared at Sol where all npcs, and thought was a bit thin on the ground the amount that appeared, i didnt realise that it was rl players.

Sorry then for all the Klingon players if this was the Klingon side of the event , would have been pretty poor show indeed if you was always warping into gangland.

But on another note when i entered Sol on foot, there where a few Borgs spwaning, so grabbed my rifle and started a blasting next there was lots of Borg spawning , turned into a right ol' warzone , it was not long before Sol was under total Borg control on the station.

I enjoyed the event, but as say if playing as a klingon,sorry to hear your side wasnt as good as it should have been. next event tho, im sure the Devs will let the klingons have thier way and us poor Feds will be on the receiving end

Lt. Commander
# 1480
01-27-2010, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhippo View Post
No, spawn camping is what makes you a jerk
It's the Federation Home World! The Fleet was around the starbase. I agree that the devs should make sure you enter that space further away, out of radar range, so you could group and plan an attack, but once you're that close to Earth, it SHOULD be a gauntlet!

On a side note, not all instances were that way. My fleet leader and I were in an instance where we made sure we were all spread out. A few brave Klingons kept respawning and fighting us. There were three of us "Feds" several km above the starbase who would fight this one, very talented Klingon. since his ship was superior, we would 2v1 him. The first two to hom would fight, while the third waited for either his demise or an open "slot" to join the attack.

We had a BLAST!!! I'm in my little Miranda, going full impulse over 20km from my teammates trying to get him to uncloak. i was no match for him 1v1 and he knew it, I was the bait and he knew it. We talked smack back and forth. And that's how a Klingon joined our fleet!

Look, I guess what I'm saying is, if I was attacking Qo'noS, I wouldn't expect Klingon ships to give me a wide staging area as I invade their homeworld. Was it "fair" in most instances? No. Does whining and swearing in chat do anybody any good? No. I guess the best way I can sum it up is this condensed conversation with our ultra cool klingon friend.

Him: Ah, ____ so now you need three to face me?
Leader: Feel free to bring help.
Me: i'll be more than happy to hold fire if 3v1 seems too unfair.
Me: Why don't you ask ___ to help you? (A Klingon in this instance that was dying a lot, and whining about it)
Him: Nah, I'd rather go it alone than group with some whiny b*tch.